Southampton to Canterbury

AlecziaGoet

I am looking for advice about a trip from Southampton to Canterbury, via Winchester, for one night. We want to know whether we should rent a car or take a train. We are from NY, so we are hesitant to drive as we have only two days to explore and very little time to get lost. I know the train runs from Southampton to Winchester, but I am unable to find any information about transport from Winchester to Canterbury (or even Ashford, as we would like to visit Leeds Castle). Can any locals comment? We arrive June 16, on the transatlantic crossing. We leave for Paris, on the Eurostar, June 18, from Ashford. How much would a taxi cost from Winchester to Ashford? Are they easy to flag in city centre?

thanks

I am looking for advice about a trip from Southampton to Canterbury, via Winchester, for one night. We want to know whether we should rent a car or take a train. We are from NY, so we are hesitant to drive as we have only two days to explore and very little time to get lost. I know the train runs from Southampton to Winchester, but I am unable to find any information about transport from Winchester to Canterbury (or even Ashford, as we would like to visit Leeds Castle). Can any locals comment? We arrive June 16, on the transatlantic crossing. We leave for Paris, on the Eurostar, June 18, from Ashford. How much would a taxi cost from Winchester to Ashford? Are they easy to flag in city centre?

thanks

Try this site it may help:

http://www.thetrainline.com/default.asp?T2ID=7260_20051017114751

Do u want to stay in Canterbury?

Regards

Chris and Pam

Personally I think you are trying to do to much. I guess the only way to do this would be by car with a good map, but you are going to have to be comfortable with motorway driving where speeds are 70 / 80 mph. I doubt if the car hire company would want to hire out for a single journey as I guess there are not many people wanting to hire the reverse journey from Canterbury / Ashford to Southampton.

Otherwise take train to London and on to Maidstone Kent where you could overnight and be near Leeds Castle. Then next day catch the train down to Ashford. Canterbury is still some distance though . You would have to cover Canterbury on the 18th, probably the only way by Taxi to drop you at Ashford although you do not say what time you leave Ashford on the 18th. This would be very expensive however.

I have copied a link to Leeds castle which you may find helpful.

Contact

Leeds Castle

Tel: 01622 765400

website.GIFwww.leeds-castle.com

email_friend.GIFemail a friend

Venue

Leeds CastleMaidstone, Kent, ME14 1PL, ME14 1PL

website.GIFwww.leeds-castle.com

viewmap.gifSee location on Google maps. Map reference: TQ 760558

Leeds Castle is located near Maidstone at Junction 8 of the M20 between London and the Channel ports

Parking : free

Public Transport : 4 miles from Bearsted station

Archived