library on Summit

goat61

Can anyone tell me what sort of library you can find on the Summit Ship? I want to know if they have children's books so that I don't need to pack so many for bedtime reading.

Two years ago on the Summit I met a delightful librarian with the apt name of Lana Reader. Last week on the Infinity I was disappointed to see no librarian on duty. It is a major loss for passengers who are accustomed to personal service. Does anyone have any idea who does the sorting of books and other duties nowadays?

Donald.

If there is no librarian does one just take a book off the shelves when one wants and return it when done with no need to checking books out? Are there regular library hours or is the library (or the shelves) open only certain hours?

I didn't use the library, but it seems to operate on the honour system and is open 24 hours. On the desk just inside the entrance to the library is a sign-in sheet, and there is a box in the hall outside the library where books are dropped off. Perhaps someone else can explain how the system works so that passengers do not disembark with books?

Donald.

I think that X's thinking is that even if some of the pax depart with books, it is still cheaper than paying for a person to run the library. The last day of the cruise there were also a lot of donated books for give-away.

I generally finish at least one book on every cruise and leave it in the cabin with the belief that it would be taken to the library. On the last cruise, I heard that this doesn't happen and that books left in the rooms are thrown away by the cabin steward. Don't know if that is true, but I took the book to the library and the librarian seemed to appreciate the donation. Too bad there aren't librarians anymore; that one was quite friendly and knowledgable.

Have all the X ships done away with the librarians? There was still one on the Mercury on our 1/29-2/9 MR cruise. She helped me look for a bird I had seen on an excursion and got out the bird reference books for me. Lets hope the pax don't walk away with any of the reference books. :EEK:

I read at least 6 books on that cruise.

It was on the Summit that I read all of the books I had brought (one I had already read--I hate when that happens, lol) and went to the library for another one. I discovered Iris Johannsen, now one of my favorite authors.

We always bring reading material with us, and when we're finnished we drop it off at the library. I have no idea if they put them to any use or just trash them, but I figure there's no sense schleping home books we've already read. I don't recall seeing anyone working in the library on the last few "X" cruises we've been on, but someone must be looking after the place because they seemed fairly organized and all the books were shelved.

Archived