"RCCL needs to Keep Voyager or Freedom class in Port Canaveral!!

Ok,this may be a dumb question(since I dont know how it all works),but does RCCL have a contract or lease of some sort to secure their spot while there isnt a mega ship there??:confused:

This is not a dumb question at all. I believe that RCI has a lease contract on the pier and terminal where Sovereign and Mariner berth while in PC. What may come as a surprise is 1. PC can void the contract and 2. Other Cruise lines can submit a more lucrative bid. If this happens the Royal Caribbean Cruise line will be evicted from PC totally. Having ships come and go makes money for the port and all of the support facilities like food suppliers and such. Take away that business and you hurt everyone there. Carnival (and Disney too) will do some political business work and RCI will be gone. It is just a matter of economics. Knowing how corporations work I'll bet Carnival has already stared negotiations. if I was the Corporate leadership at Carnival and Disney that is what I would do.......

Is RCI taking Sovereign away from us as well? No RCI ships in PC wow :mad: Talk about stabbing the Orlando area in the back............

I heard that news last month.......that would really suck.

This is not a dumb question at all. I believe that RCI has a lease contract on the pier and terminal where Sovereign and Mariner berth while in PC. What may come as a surprise is 1. PC can void the contract and 2. Other Cruise lines can submit a more lucrative bid. If this happens the Royal Caribbean Cruise line will be evicted from PC totally. Having ships come and go makes money for the port and all of the support facilities like food suppliers and such. Take away that business and you hurt everyone there. Carnival (and Disney too) will do some political business work and RCI will be gone. It is just a matter of economics. Knowing how corporations work I'll bet Carnival has already stared negotiations. if I was the Corporate leadership at Carnival and Disney that is what I would do.......
Lets just hope it doesnt come to that.............It would cut down on my cruising.........

Is RCI taking Sovereign away from us as well? No RCI ships in PC wow :mad: Talk about stabbing the Orlando area in the back............

I haven't seen any reliable information that Sovereign will be leaving Port Canaveral. In fact the information I read about Mariner leaving for the West Coast specifically stated that they would still have Sovereign sailing from PC twice a week. I don't think it is very useful to be spreading unsubstantiated rumors which would suggest that RCI is abandoning the port completely, especially when that flies in the face of specific statements to the contrary from RCI officials.

As to Carnival jumping in to take up the vacancy created by the repositioning of the Mariner, I suppose it is possible, although I don't know what legal arrangements RCI and the PC Port Authority may have regarding to berthing rights. I would ask, however, what ship Carnival might relocate to PC that wouldn't cause distress in the port from which that ship currently sails? I suspect that Carnival, like RCI, Princess and NCL, have to consider a number of factors before they blithely reposition ships from one port to another.:)

I haven't seen any reliable information that Sovereign will be leaving Port Canaveral. In fact the information I read about Mariner leaving for the West Coast specifically stated that they would still have Sovereign sailing from PC twice a week. I don't think it is very useful to be spreading unsubstantiated rumors which would suggest that RCI is abandoning the port completely, especially when that flies in the face of specific statements to the contrary from RCI officials.

As to Carnival jumping in to take up the vacancy created by the repositioning of the Mariner, I suppose it is possible, although I don't know what legal arrangements RCI and the PC Port Authority may have regarding to berthing rights. I would ask, however, what ship Carnival might relocate to PC that wouldn't cause distress in the port from which that ship currently sails? I suspect that Carnival, like RCI, Princess and NCL, have to consider a number of factors before they blithely reposition ships from one port to another.:)

I would think/HOPE that RCCL would have made the decisoin with Carnival's reaction (ie taking the slot) in mind.

Adam's email did say "We are committed to operating out of Port Canaveral and will look for opportunities to fill in for Mariner of the Seas" and the problem he cited was no ship to put into the slot. Hope this means a ship will be placed in Port C and that arrangements are being made for something later in 2009. My email to him stated in hot pink letters that "It would be a shame to let Carnival and its brands get a marketing advantage in that port. "

dagadget -- you posted earlier in the thread that you were sending the link to the thread to Adam. Were you able to do that?

Right now for 2008 (according to cruisecal.com), Carnival has only one fairly large ship in Port C on the weekend: Carnival Glory on Saturday. They have Sensation on Sunday (for a 4 nighter) . Last year, they may have had another ship the size of Sensation possibly doing a 7 day on Saturday -- I remember seeing it leave. The have had HAL sailing from Port C in previous years.

There are presently 3 terminals in Port C -- one dedicated (owned by?) to Disney. Wonder if the port could handle another terminal?

I would think/HOPE that RCCL would have made the decisoin with Carnival's reaction (ie taking the slot) in mind.

Adam's email did say "We are committed to operating out of Port Canaveral and will look for opportunities to fill in for Mariner of the Seas" and the problem he cited was no ship to put into the slot. Hope this means a ship will be placed in Port C and that arrangements are being made for something later in 2009. My email to him stated in hot pink letters that "It would be a shame to let Carnival and its brands get a marketing advantage in that port. "

dagadget -- you posted earlier in the thread that you were sending the link to the thread to Adam. Were you able to do that?

Yes Sherri I did send it. and I am going to send him an email on what my contacts at carnival are talking about. Royal Caribbean may want to rethink the deployment schedule a few month later.......After they get a ship available anyway

Hello Mr. Goldstein

I have been following the Cruise Critic Thread on putting a Voyager or Freedom class in PC to replace Mariner of the Seas (Now 10 pages long) I also know some people at Carnival and they are salivating at the thought of kicking Royal Caribbean out of PC. With the rumors of the end of Sovereign of the Seas also floating around this gives Carnival a strong bargaining position with Port Canaveral. Having a 6 month gap at PC will hurt the port and all suppliers. PC management and the suppliers may ask Carnival or Disney to step in with a ship. If I was running RCI I would not allow this. In fact I would consider postponing the Mariner repositioning until RCI has a ship ready for PC. Just for your convenience here is the link to the Cruise Critic thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=566499

David

Yes Sherri I did send it. and I am going to send him an email on what my contacts at carnival are talking about. Royal Caribbean may want to rethink the deployment schedule a few month later.......After they get a ship available anyway

Dagadget -- thanks for sending the thread. And a great idea for you to send him another email about what your contacts at Carnival are talking about. We need to keep the pressure on!!! If I could, I'd put down $500 and book 2009 on the replacement ship.

I heard that news last month.......that would really suck.

Lets just hope it doesnt come to that.............It would cut down on my cruising.........

Darn it anyway. With Mariner and Soveriegn gone PC is going to be Kiddie Club and Carnival and that stinks..... Could you post the link so We can look at this?

Thanks for all RCI and PC lovers :D

Dagadget -- thanks for sending the thread. And a great idea for you to send him another email about what your contacts at Carnival are talking about. We need to keep the pressure on!!! If I could, I'd put down $500 and book 2009 on the replacement ship.

I will be forwarding the info as I get it to him. I would also put $$ down and I can afford to even if the DW would not go on the cruise. (Looking for a Sea wife again ;) ) Now if they do Bermuda from PC that would be a plus....

Darn it anyway. With Mariner and Soveriegn gone PC is going to be Kiddie Club and Carnival and that stinks..... Could you post the link so We can look at this?

Thanks for all RCI and PC lovers :D

Wasnt in wirting........came from someone that was on the Sovereign.......guess you could call this a rumor??:eek: :eek: :eek:

PS.glad you're back to MR.Goldstein..;)

Hello Mr. Goldstein

I have been following the Cruise Critic Thread on putting a Voyager or Freedom class in PC to replace Mariner of the Seas (Now 10 pages long) I also know some people at Carnival and they are salivating at the thought of kicking Royal Caribbean out of PC. With the rumors of the end of Sovereign of the Seas also floating around this gives Carnival a strong bargaining position with Port Canaveral. Having a 6 month gap at PC will hurt the port and all suppliers. PC management and the suppliers may ask Carnival or Disney to step in with a ship. If I was running RCI I would not allow this. In fact I would consider postponing the Mariner repositioning until RCI has a ship ready for PC. Just for your convenience here is the link to the Cruise Critic thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=566499

David

\great email!!!

Wasnt in wirting........came from someone that was on the Sovereign.......guess you could call this a rumor??:eek: :eek: :eek:

PS.glad you're back to MR.Goldstein..;)

Well unfortunately this is where the Mariner information came from (Ship's Crew) I go back to Mr. when I want something in an Official capacity ;) I would guess wanting a ship in PC is wanting something officially for all of us... I also forwarded this to Mr. Richard Fain as well

Well unfortunately this is where the Mariner information came from (Ship's Crew) I go back to Mr. when I want something in an Official capacity ;) I would guess wanting a ship in PC is wanting something officially for all of us... I also forwarded this to Mr. Richard Fain as well
Rumors fly alot but folks on this board are great about finding out stuff and sharing it. Thanks for forwarding this to Richard Fain also!!!

I am personally going to demonstrate my displeasure for the repositioning of the Mariner by wearing shorts all week in the dining room next week! Who is with me?

That will show them! :)

Have a pair of shorts and a T shirt with the logo Mariner NO GO or something to that affect.

Let's hope that Johnny will continue to want to stay in PC and Captain whatever new ship PC gets :-) RCCL are you listening? Port Canaveral has MANY loyal cruisers and we want/deserve the best!!!! In fact, how about giving us TWO ships with different itineraries to replace our beloved Mariner??? (Couldn't hurt to ask!)

I second that! We Port Canaveral'rs deserve to keep Captain Johnny, and get a nice new ship for him to captain.

We're getting married on Sovereign in Nov (REALLY wanted Mariner, but Sovereign was more cost-friendly for family members). After just reading about them moving our beloved Mariner, I now know where we will be honeymooning!

After dealing with Ft Lauderdale's Port Everglades for a Radiance cruise last year, we definitely decided we prefer Pt Canaveral. Canaveral's only a 3.5 hr drive for us, the port is easy to get to, AND parking isn't a nightmare.

Janet... Cindy mentioned to me that you and Kim were scheduled for a cruise a couple weeks before our Mariner trip. Too bad the dates didn't match up. Maybe another time.

One of these days we will end up on the same ship again lol, I just wish it could have been the mariner.

I just dont understand RCCL's reasoning on moving the mariner without a replacement ship. I can see why they want to put a voyager on the west coast, but why not have a plan in mind. Why do something that would leave PC with no ship. A port which is very heavily booked by so many people. It is really a shame

You know this business about Mariner leaving and PC not getting a permanent replacement until sometime in the fall of 2009 makes you wonder about RCCL leadership, if anything the company doesn't seem to care very much about customer loyalty. If you were to go back over the last 2 or 3 years there probably has been more positive and less negative comments here on CC about the Mariner then any other ship in the fleet. Mariner cruisers I believe are the most loyal of any group and I always thought loyality went both ways. We were cruising on Carnival waiting for the Mariner to come to PC and if we have to..we will go back to Carnival again...We are fortunate living close to the ports but I'm not going to drive to FTL or MIA for a RCCL cruise..gas is getting too expensive..JMHO

Jim

Was at Port Canaveral yesterday and met some people at Grills who work for a dredging company, that are here to begin a HUGE dredging project at the port....Some good info...People just need to simmer down a bit and wait and see what happens...I expect a Freedom Class 100%

You know this business about Mariner leaving and PC not getting a permanent replacement until sometime in the fall of 2009 makes you wonder about RCCL leadership, if anything the company doesn't seem to care very much about customer loyalty. If you were to go back over the last 2 or 3 years there probably has been more positive and less negative comments here on CC about the Mariner then any other ship in the fleet. Mariner cruisers I believe are the most loyal of any group and I always thought loyality went both ways. We were cruising on Carnival waiting for the Mariner to come to PC and if we have to..we will go back to Carnival again...We are fortunate living close to the ports but I'm not going to drive to FTL or MIA for a RCCL cruise..gas is getting too expensive..JMHO

Jim

I agree 100% on your comment and sure hope they don't wait to long and let us dangle and I end up going back to Carnival...because was looking on spring of 2009 and I have tried Tampa and Miami and didn't care for it like I do Port Canaveral...I know I only do 2 cruises a year...but that most of them have been on the Mariner! only the other 2 was trying to give Tampa and Miami a try ...So I sure hope they do bring us back a 7 day cruise soon after they take the Mariner away.

You know this business about Mariner leaving and PC not getting a permanent replacement until sometime in the fall of 2009 makes you wonder about RCCL leadership, if anything the company doesn't seem to care very much about customer loyalty. If you were to go back over the last 2 or 3 years there probably has been more positive and less negative comments here on CC about the Mariner then any other ship in the fleet. Mariner cruisers I believe are the most loyal of any group and I always thought loyality went both ways. We were cruising on Carnival waiting for the Mariner to come to PC and if we have to..we will go back to Carnival again...We are fortunate living close to the ports but I'm not going to drfive to FTL or MIA for a RCCL cruise..gas is getting too expensive..JMHO

Jim

I agree and was just saying the same thing to someone..

I mentioned the other day,prior to the announcement about Mariner,that

Mariner and Rhapsody seem to have the most loyal following,and the most consistent and positive reviews..

Now RCI is pulling both from very popular home ports..

I am happy for the West Coast...They deserve a great ship..I guess RCI is gonna have to turn out 5 or 6 more new ships to keep us all happy:D

Jim

I totally agree with you. I will continue cruising out of Port Canaveral because of living so close to it and wanting to avoid the stress and frustration of driving to other Florida ports in addition to the increase cost of gas. All these years we've had the "choice" of cruising either RCCL or Carnival (which has always been less expensive than RCCL) out of Port Canaveral. There have been so many loyal Mariner fans that I'm amazed that RCCL is taking her away from us and leaving us possibly "without" a replacement for awhile? This is what we get for being loyal? And, if we do get a Freedom class ship, bigger is not always better. At times even the Voyager class can seem like "too many people". I'm curious, does the Freedom of the Seas have such a loyal following now that it's been out for a year? I know people will try them at least once for the novelty of it's size, but don't a lot of repeat cruisers just go back to the Voyager or Radiance class ships for their 7 day cruises? RCCL is probably just trying to attract more first time cruisers by being able to accomodate so many...I think its capacity is about 500 more passengers with almost 200 lesser crew? So, why not also leave Port Canaveral a Voyager class ship for the loyal repeat cruisers!!

Archived