Crusin' with Harry Potter

Just curious....any HP fans planning to cruise at the time of the book release? Will books be sold at midnight on the ship? Any HP parties planned? OR...is a cruise ship the one place where you can actually get away from Harry Potter?

DH and I will be on the Enchantment.

When I found out when Deathly Hallows was going to be released, I almost rescheduled our cruise. Of course DH told me I was crazy. Ok, maybe just a little. I was at the bookstore at midnight for the last release. Yes, a 30-something mom without her kids out at midnight for a Harry Potter book. :rolleyes: What can I say, I'll always be a kid at heart.

All I can say is, God help anyone who says anything about the book between disembarkation and when I get to my front door on Saturday. I am so worried I will find out what happens before I get to the end of book. But I'm a fast reader, so I should have it finished sometime on Sunday. Until I do, there will be no tv, newspaper, radio or internet. Sorry, fellow CC'ers, but the Enchantment review will have to wait until Monday. :)

I was at the bookstore at midnight for the last release. Yes, a 30-something mom without her kids out at midnight for a Harry Potter book. :rolleyes: What can I say, I'll always be a kid at heart.

We get our books at the grocery store at midnight...same price, smaller line.

Good luck avoiding spoilers. I'm worried that I may have to work that weekend, and then I'll have a similar problem. Usually people are good for the first couple of days about not saying anything, but by Monday, information starts to leak.

Have a Great trip!

DH and I will be on the Enchantment.

When I found out when Deathly Hallows was going to be released, I almost rescheduled our cruise. Of course DH told me I was crazy. Ok, maybe just a little. I was at the bookstore at midnight for the last release. Yes, a 30-something mom without her kids out at midnight for a Harry Potter book. :rolleyes: What can I say, I'll always be a kid at heart.

All I can say is, God help anyone who says anything about the book between disembarkation and when I get to my front door on Saturday. I am so worried I will find out what happens before I get to the end of book. But I'm a fast reader, so I should have it finished sometime on Sunday. Until I do, there will be no tv, newspaper, radio or internet. Sorry, fellow CC'ers, but the Enchantment review will have to wait until Monday. :)

Hahaha. Well, this 60 something granny just pre-ordered, and now waits for it to be delivered to the door. Started oldest granddaughter reading the books.

Fran in Toronto

Well, here is another HP fan. I am 55 my daughter and son-in-law, we all read the books. I am lucky I don't have to share with my daughter as of he distance between us, so we each have our own copies.

I use to pre-order but because of delivery I didn't get mine until the following week. This time I will outside of Costco's doors the day of it hits the shelves.

I don't know about anyone else, but I sure do think these books went away from been just children's books. Especially book 6 and I sure can see that for book 7.

Also can't wait to see the new movie, thought 4 was the best and from the previews this one looks just as good. My hubby doesn't like to read, but he does enjoy the movies.

Just think J.K. Rowling was on welfare when she started this, and now she is one of the richest women in England.

To all the fans, happy reading.

S.

During one of the releases a few years ago, I was on the Maasdam in Alasaka. I pre-ordered the book through a small bookstore there and picked it up. I missed their party, but the owner was SO kind, he put stickers and stuff in my bag! :)

If you can, look for bookstores on the islands you are visiting, you may be able to pre-order through them and pick it up during the trip. It's a great way to "get off the beaten path" and meet new friends!

And, yes, I read the book during the rest of the trip!!!

If you can, look for bookstores on the islands you are visiting, you may be able to pre-order through them and pick it up during the trip. It's a great way to "get off the beaten path" and meet new friends!

Unfortunately we'll be on our way back to Ft. Lauderdale when the book is released at midnight, and I'm guessing it won't be available on the ship. :( I'm hoping I'll find it for a discount at FLL so I can start reading it on the plane ride home.

We'll be embarking the day the book is released! So on the way to the port we'll stop by a grocery store and get two copies.

I might just have sensory overload -- first cruise in 19 years AND the last HP book all in the same day!!

:D

Our family will be on our pre-cruise trip at release time. My DD and I are preordering it in Seattle for pick up. The two of us have gone the the last four midnight release parties at the local bookstores. We have made a pack that we would save it for the cruise so that she wouldn't get too far ahead of me and spoil the suprises while I am driving.:(

Our family will be on our pre-cruise trip at release time. My DD and I are preordering it in Seattle for pick up. The two of us have gone the the last four midnight release parties at the local bookstores. We have made a pack that we would save it for the cruise so that she wouldn't get too far ahead of me and spoil the suprises while I am driving.:(

If I understand it correctly, the audiobook will also be available that night. ;)

I get back from Navigator the day before Deathly Hallows is released. If there are any leaks and a spoiler tries to tell me abouth them, I swear I'll not be responsible for my actions.

For what it's worth, I'm dubious as to why Snape didn't kill HP when he had the chance. Could it all be a set-up between Snape and Dumbledore? Is Dumledore REALLY dead? Has Snape REALLY abandoned the Order Of The Pheonix?

JK lives only about 25 miles from me....makes the whole thing even more frustrating!

Alan

We will all have to plan a cruise out of Florida when they build Hogwarts at Universal studios. Then we can see Universal and then since we're already there....go on a cruise.

Does anyone know which month in 2009 it is due to be opened? Just so I can plan ahead:D

Well, I work for Barnes and Noble.... so I'll be working the Midnight Magic party... we aren't allowed to request time off for the weekend of the release but that's alright, most of us WANT to work that night.

We have huge plans in all the stores for that night and it really is a fun night to be working... it will be a long day for me... I'm management so my day will start at 8am and end some time around 1am or 2 depending on how long it takes to get everyone their copies and get them out of the store... For book 6, we sold 650 copies in that first hour... that's right, we processed about 600 people in about an hour!

The books will arrive in our stores some time that week but we are under strict orders not to even open a box until midnight... the penalites are fierce!

I'm a huge HP fan and I'm really sad that this is the end of the series... though most of us speculate that she'll do something else related to Harry in the future...

Archived