Santorini Car Rental Process

My specific question regarding car rentals on Santorini is as follows. For those of you who have made reservations, did you have to supply your credit card number and the 3 digit security code on the back of the card? This does not seem appropriate to me. Two rental companies, Tony's and Santorini Car Rental, have requested this information to make a reservation. What is your experience and what did you do to reserve a car?

We booked ahead through Vazeos Car rental and just gave the credit card no although I said I wanted to pay cash. No problem. They are based in Oia but brought the car down to meet us near the cable car and signed the paperwork there. I was glad that I printed the email confirming that the charge was 60 Euros as the man who brought the car said it was 60 but 15 extra for full inc insurance but my email proved that i'd been quoted 60 including the taxes, ins., etc so he shrugged and accepted the 60 Euros. Good car though, no probs! There were loads of car rental and bike rental places everywhere in Fira so you could get a car probably on arrival. We had 3 other ships in on our day so it was quite busy. I would not give the 3 no digit off the back though - thats not usual. Good luck!

We were there in May with 5 other ships in port. We rented a mini van from Hertz for 90E for the day with no reservation. Put it on our credit card - did not receive a receipt so don't know what will actually show. Also, happened with the cars we rented from Avis in Italy. There are several rental car agencies along the same road as Hertz. Ask directions from local. Easy to find.

I reserved a car thru Drossos car rental. They are based out of Oia, but met me near the cable car in Fira and we did the paperwork on the street. I had to give a credit card number to reserve, but not the authorization code. I wanted an automatic so reserved ahead. If you have no preference, I know there are plenty of rental places and many on our cruise picked up cars without reservations.

I was in Santorini a couple weeks ago and used Tony's. I was communicating with him for a year and he never asked for a credit card number; but that could have changed after I originally made our reservation. Tony and his wife are very nice caring people that I would not worry at all about giving my credit card number to. I was very pleased with the car and price. It was not easy to find their location because we took a wrong turn; but I would highly recommend them.

Archived