space shuttle launch question

wags111

we will be boarding the glory on saturday june 9th. we are coming in to port canaveral on friday june 8th. where is the best spot to watch and take pictures of the launch without paying an arm and leg at ksc?

we will be boarding the glory on saturday june 9th. we are coming in to port canaveral on friday june 8th. where is the best spot to watch and take pictures of the launch without paying an arm and leg at ksc?

awe, was almost going to give you an answer, but then realized you won't be on board yet. DH got great pics of the launch from on deck in feb. hope you have a good spot. i'd say just make your way to the beach if no other recommendations turn up. have a great cruise.

Depends how close you want to be but the beaches north or south are fine.

You can go out to Cocoa beach. There is public parking or you can take the shuttle bus. If you go just north of the Cocoa Beach Pier, you will have a great view. Or, head to the pier, although it might be packed. There is a bar at the end. Usually, it is only a dollar to get to the end, but they might raise the price during launches.

I hope it goes as scheduled.

OOOHHHH! How much I miss seeing the shuttle go up. When I lived in Orlando, we use to go outside (either at home or at work) and look toward the East. We could even see it from Orlando. Anywhere you get will be good, but the beaches will be really nice. Good luck, dont forget your camera.

If you fly into the Orlando airport you will take the Beach line/Bee line/528 there is 3 names for the road you will be on. The closer you get to the port going east you will go over 2 bridges over water. You can park you car on either side of the road by the bridges and see the shuttle from there. It is free. If you can get there early do so it gets crowded. Pack something to eat and just hang out by the river.The beach line will take you right to where you need to go to get to the port and will take ya right to Cocoa Beach. The beach line turns into A1A. Enjoy your stay in the Space Coast and your cruise. I will be watching the shuttle go up either from my home or at work.

Mary

I have to recommend Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral or right out on the beach if you are staying on the ocean. Dont put to much effort into it though. The view is wonderful anywhere in the area. I just look out my office window when they go up.

Just before getting to Cape Canaveral, before crossing the bridge, is where we parked last Dec. for a night shuttle. It is awesome. Lots of people, but well worth going too. I would recommend parking on the side you need to head without turning around. We parked on the opposite side and it a while before we could turn around.

If you fly into the Orlando airport you will take the Beach line/Bee line/528 there is 3 names for the road you will be on. The closer you get to the port going east you will go over 2 bridges over water. You can park you car on either side of the road by the bridges and see the shuttle from there. It is free. If you can get there early do so it gets crowded. Pack something to eat and just hang out by the river.The beach line will take you right to where you need to go to get to the port and will take ya right to Cocoa Beach. The beach line turns into A1A. Enjoy your stay in the Space Coast and your cruise. I will be watching the shuttle go up either from my home or at work.

Mary

We watched a launch from this location back in 2005. It was really something to see! Enjoy!

Folks are beginning to come over to Brevard County for the shuttle launch on Friday - I know if you never been here during a launch, you can not imagine the impact of traffic ESPECIALLY for a night launch. The best place, of course, to watch the launch is between Frontanac and Titusville for you see it go almost from the ground up, BUT there are no exits that you can turn into a short cut to get out of the heavy traffic and most of the folks that own the waterfront properties charge up to $35.00 to park your car to watch the launch. If you decide this is where you want to be, be aware that provisions such as snacks, drinks etc and a close bathroom must be made - the weather is suppose to be very warm. I am not trying to discourage anyone from watching the launch from anywhere, but I know from experience what it feels like to be only 15 minutes from home and it take 3 to 4 hours stuck in traffic - some of the great places to watch the launch from is also Hwy 520 and 528, but again you have a traffic jam problem - If you go to the Jetties, at least you have a playground, the beach, watch the ships come and go, do some fishing etc and if there is a traffic jam, you have almost the comfort of home - if you find your self in dispair, watch it from the shop parking lot right on A1A and you have open exits or go to 4 Point Sheridan and go to the very top of it and have a 360 view of Brevard County. I just saying from where ever you watch it, I pray first it won't be scrubbed, but most of all that you will be filled with awe as I am each time I see one launched. Its a memory you will relive many times over and make you so proud of being a part of it. If you will write me at snelsonbrown@aol.com, I will give you my cell number for that "just in case" need.

Always

Shirley

we watched from Jetty Park several years ago...you can feel the ground shake from the vibration....get there early!

Beverly

are you able to take pictures from jetty park and see more than a dot in the sky?

are you able to take pictures from jetty park and see more than a dot in the sky?

Yes you can take pictures and believe me, you will not get a dot in the sky - you will even catch the smoke trail and you will feel the vibrations - our 3 different TV channels broadcast from the Jetties and even show a count down clock so you won't go wrong and besides you are with folks that yelling as she heads towards the skies.

Always

Shirley

Tittusville is a good place to view the shuttle launch too...so is Merritt Island.

So far everything is a go for the shuttle to go up on schedule...let's keep our fingers crossed!

JC Penny's parking lot!!

Archived