Shorts in Mediterranean Ports

I am a first time cruiser and I am wondering if casual shorts for men are acceptable in most Mediterranean ports. Does anyone know of ports where they would not be acceptable. We will be going to Cairo, Jerusalem, Nazareth, Santorini, Antalya, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Messina, others, etc.

Thanks in advance,

They are totally unacceptable in Cairo as an Islamic country, in Jerusalem and Nazareth and everywhere where you want to enter a church or other religious place.

Regarding the Southern European ports: People here regard shorts as beach wear and do not wear them in the cities. Thus you will see many shorts in places with a lot of beach tourism like Rhodes while only some tourist wear them in place like Rome.

Here is my take on your query Jack. I visited Spain, France, Italy, Greece, and Turkey and wore shorts every single day EXCEPT the day we toured the Vatican, as did most of the other American male tourists. I never felt anywhere near out of place. You take it from there,

CIAO,

I avoided shorts in Turkey and Egypt, though I did see plenty of tourists wearing them. Certainly if you are planning to visit churches and mosques, shorts are often frowned upon, and sometimes prohibited outright.

We just returned from NCL Jewel and my husband wore shorts in Cairo - it was hot!! He took some light weight pull on pants for the mosque but took them off for the pyramids etc. A number of our group had on shorts and the mosque provided covering for anyone with exposed knees or shoulders - one place it was a wrap around and another a long cape. In Greece you can wear shorts anywhere except certain churches. I wore over the knee capris and shirts with sleeves in Turkey, Greece and Eqypt without a problem. I did take a head scarf to wear in the mosques. Hope this helps!

I've seen plenty of europeans, canadians, australians, etc etc wearing shorts and it's not at the beach . We take vacations just like everyone else and we wear what is comfortable for us.

And where did you ever hear that wearing shorts and sneakers marks you as an American tourist and more likely a target? No doubt an american told you that.

PTC

Don't worry about looking like a North American tourist:

a) Europeans can usually easily identify non-locals and you will soon be able to do so too

- we enjoy sitting at a cafe or pub after sightseeing and play "spot the tourist and guess their country of origin" (people from the UK stand out in continental Europe too - but their trademarks are different from those of North Americans)

b) there's no point being concerned that wearing shorts will give you away - so will a baseball cap, running shoes (or whatever you are used to calling them), Hawaiian shirts, track suits, matching his/hers outfits, souvenir t-shirts, carrying a map and/or camera, and likely all sorts of other differences in clothing, mannerisms, "beer bellies", voices and of course, language - the same kinds of signs thing that would make a European stand out where you live

So don't worry about the shorts revealing you are not a European unless you plan to eliminate all the other indications!

c) Med countries (especially cities) are incredibly hot in the summer - wearing shorts is smarter than wearing dark coloured, long pants in an effort to "fit in"

d) as previous posters have indicated, do be prepared to conform to the cultural code in Islamic countries and (temporarily - eg. zip off pants) to the dress code required when entering religious institutions in continental Europe

e) and finally - what's important is to take steps to avoid looking like a wealthy, stupid or rude tourist (nationality is irrelevant) - that's what is more likely to get you into trouble, attract pickpockets etc - again, just as it might in North American cities.

Just as an example, one of the funniest incidents of "trying not to look like a tourist" that we've seen was when were sitting at a cafe in Lisbon and saw a bleached blonde lady stroll by - wearing a bright pink track suit, metallic sandals, tons of jewellery, sunglasses etc - you get the picture. But she had obviously decided to take precautions so she wouldn't look like a tourist - she was carrying her cotton Holland America bag turned inside out!

Bottom line - wear your shorts except where they would be religiously or culturally inappropriate, enjoy your trip and stay cool!

We are on the Carnival Freedom 12th July cruise.

I had heard that it is not shorts as such but covering the knees so I have gone out and purchased several pairs of calf length or three quarter length shorts to wear for the shore excursions. Any advice from out there if I have wasted my time and money?

Normally I only wear shorts year round at home, at work and when I am out as they are the only things I feel comfortable in.

David

We are on the Freedom July 24 with two teenagers, my daughter and I have several capris we can where while touring where Churches are involved my son and husband have cargo pants. You do need to pack different then a Caribbean cruise thats for sure. I am sure we will still stick out and look like Canadian tourists thats ok....

Keep in mind that Europeans, as a general rule, don't wear shorts (or sneakers). Wearing these will mark you as an American tourist and may make you more vulnerable to pick-pockets.

Sorry but you have got a complete misconception here. I feel I have to correct you. I don't mean to be unkind when I say that this is just a load of rubbish. Of course we Europeans wear shorts and sneakers, the only thing that would prevent this is the European weather. Believe me the first chance we get, we wear them. As to your theory about an American tourist being more vulnerable to pick pockets, a thief has no mercy and will pick anybodys pocket. A lot of this rubbish came from the last war when the Americans arrived here they gave the impression that they were loaded and yes they did get paid far more than the Europeans, but things have changed since then.

I have copied this line from the previous poster that sums it correctly

Bottom line - wear your shorts except where they would be religiously or culturally inappropriate, enjoy your trip and stay cool!June 5th, 2007 07:54 PM

Stilll not sure of the male's attire for when ladies need to cover their knees. Does this mean that males can wear their long shorts that are the equivalent of female capris?

Thanks for the advice.

Jennie

Here is my take on your query Jack. I visited Spain, France, Italy, Greece, and Turkey and wore shorts every single day EXCEPT the day we toured the Vatican, as did most of the other American male tourists. I never felt anywhere near out of place. You take it from there,

CIAO,

I was on a tour in Rome and I didn't know that it was going to the Vatican. I ended up buying some nylon "pope" pants at a gift shop by St. Peters. Other than that it was shorts every day - especially in the Greek Islands!

Be aware that the first cities take steps against underdressed tourists.

To say it carefully, not all local people are happy about the behaviour and attitude of some tourists. They would appreciate if the customs of the host country would not be ignored and if guests be sensitive to the atmosphere of the places visited. In fact some say it really became too much and are no longer willing to accept everything.

Venice is going to employ "decency stewards" to reprimand tourist to stop at least the worst.

Michele Vianello, deputy mayor of Venice, explained that the "degradation" caused by the tens of thousands of visitors who pour into La Serenissima each day had become "intolerable". Venice had become "a dustbin", littered with fast-food wrappings, cartons and "bits of pizza" left by "underdressed" tourists.

Viareggio, on the Tuscan coast, started already last year to impose fines of up to €500 for "inappropriate dress" away from the beach.

Thus thank you to everybody here asking about appropriate dress and caring about the local customs.

In the words of mayor Vianello the aim is to restore the "decorum" of the elegant place. It takes the cooperation of everybody to reach it.

Archived