Has anyone used US Direct

popsbabe

This is a new program that Celebrity has started. We are cruising to Alaska, out of Vancouver. this US direct program let you go wright to the ship from the airport without going through customs or immigration. It sounds good, has anyone used it yet?:)

but are signed up to use it in Vancouver to board our Alaska cruise. From what I was told you still go thru an abbreviated customs at the airport but skip the customs at the boat because you are essentially "taped " into a bus from the airport to the ship .

It's not new, I recall it being offered on our 2005 Alaska cruise. It may have been expanded to include more airlines.

From what I recall there is a cost, per person, to use the service, your bags are taken to a special area and not put out the night before for collection. I think (I'm not positive) you go through customs on the ship, showing your passports to an agent there. Your bags are tagged and sent ahead, you are taken by bus directly to the airport from the ship.

You will get more info onboard your ship, usually mid-way through if you're not on a program ahead of time. For me, if I were flying directly home from the cruise it might be worth it. We generally like to enjoy another day or two in port before returning home.

I should have added that, if you haven't yet, visit the Alaska board here on CC. There is a wealth of information on that board and you will certainly find more than a few people who have used this service over the past couple of years posting over there:)

Happy ks ... From what I've seen elsewhere on the boards, U.S. Direct is for the embarkationnot the disembarkation process.

Someone mentioned that you may/may not know if the airline has delayed/lost your bags til well after boarding. May be a downside for some.

We used US direct in 2005 and it was worth the small charge. We had a direct flight into Newark Liberty and didn't see our luggage until we arrived there. We were bused from the pier to the airport, upon arriving at the airport Customs boarded the bus for a passport check, took all of 5 minutes. We then proceeded directly to the terminal for out going US flights and got off the bus, went through Canadian customs, and then US customs, another 10 minutes. I would recommend this to anyone flying direct back into the US.

Archived