Blow Hole locations on Oahu

Knickerbocker

I've tried searching the internet but I can't seem to find any info on this. I'm looking for locations of blow holes along the coast of Oahu. I found one on the East Coast but none on the West. My DH really really really wants to see one up close and personal. Has anyone been to some?

Thanks!

Knickerbocker,

The one on the east coast (windward side) is the main one here on the island. Here are a few links with photos and explanation:

http://oahu.aloha-hawaii.com/hawaii/halona+blowhole/

http://www.hawaiihostelreview.com/Oahu/Oahu_Blowhole.html

http://www.visualjourney.com/Category.aspx?cat=Oahu

You can only get as close as the viewing lot. It really isn't safe getting "up close and personal" with the blowhole as shown by this link:

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2002-21.html

Pete

Thanks for the info. I did find lots of info on that particular blow hole. It's obviously not safe to climb down to it as I could tell from the pictures I saw. I'm looking for info on a blow hole that is safe to get close to and not surrounded by cliffs. I just can't seem to find out any more. We'll ask the concierge at the hotel or when driving around the West side of the Island see if we can spot one.

Thanks!

JMO, but I don't think any blow hole is safe to get close to. While climbing down to the blow hole is obiously not without danger, the real danger is the blow hole itself and the tremendous force which the water can be expelled from it.

I know what you're saying but my husband grew up in on the BC and Washington coast where there are blow holes. He's played in and around the water since he was 4 and he's not a total idiot. I realize everyone is just giving a warning and I appreciate the advise. We're not going to take any risks.

Our attitude is if you don't have to run from the water it's not worth seeing.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/images/toiletbowl_6.jpg

If you face the water in Hanauma bay and walk allllll the way around the left side, you get a rock formation called "toilet bowl". It flushes up and down with water, on a rough day the water really blasts up into the sky. It's big, and people get in. You'd have to be a bit nimble and sure footed to get there, fairly long walk. It might be calm when you start but can suddenly turn ugly. It looks harmless enough, water gently going up and down usually, but looks can be deceiving. The rocks around are very slippery, and you can easily just fall back in when trying to get out. You can't really see what to grab to get out when it's very rough. In the worst case it empties out completely, and then a wall of water comes in pounding hard against the rock. If you don't dive into it, you get smashed. If you get pulled out the channel at the bottom of the pic, it's just as bad, so you have to swim back the other way when it "flushes".

I used to go in a lot as a kid. People see kids doing it and think no problem! We had to help a lot of people out...

toiletbowl_6.jpg

Hey Mike,

I came across this page trying to figure out where I was when I pulled off this nutty stunt. Is this at Toilet Bowl? I'm pretty sure it is now that I've looked at other photos of Toilet Bowl and I thought we were in that general area.

532671546_1527a0a0f6_m.jpg532671816_ac5c797611_m.jpg532671672_0b3d11d246_m.jpg

I should make a note that both sides of Hanauma Bay, counting the Toilet Bowl, are closed - supposedly permanently. So you will not be able to get to them. Otherwise, I am not aware of any other blowhole than the aforementioned Halona Blowhole on the south-east coast. From my own experience, I felt that the overlook was sufficiently close to the blowhole, to the point where I didn't feel like I would have needed to hike closer even if it was an option.

Speaking of which, don't forget the awesome beach you can hike down to adjacent to Halona Blowhole! As far as I'm concerned, the blowhole is underwhelming while this beach provided some of the best memories of my vacation.

Archived