An amazing find

bychance

That I wanted to share with all you cruise crazed people. Last night I was given a journal hand written by a woman named Annette L. Noble about a cruise from New York to Liverpool May 21, 1890!! I have not had a lot of time to read much of it. But it has a bunch of memorabilia from the ship and from hotels in France, Italy, France, Geneve and other places too. It was a ladies trip to tour Europe. The cruise line was called Inman Line the full name was Inman & International Steamship Co. The name of the ship was the S.S. City of New York.

I will try over the weekend to scan or tak pics of some of the things in this journal if anyone is interested.

This is the first passage in the journal:

On board the steamer City of New York, Wednesday May 21-7pm.

It was quite exciting the start so many on it bid freinds a last goodbye, so many beautiful flowers sent for rememerances, then as we left the pier the crowd of friends waving flags and hankerchiefs.

I will take some time to read it all as it is 287 pages long. Talk about a long review! this may the oldest review around!

I just thought I would share with you all,

The name of the ship was the S.S. City of New York.

A fantastic find, lucky you!

The City of New York was one of the most famous and prestigious ships of it's time.

http://www.greatoceanliners.net/cityofnewyork.html

http://web.greatships.net:81/newyork.html

this may the oldest review around!

I would love to read it myself. This is just the sort of thing I like.

As for the oldest around...well...I don't know, but;

In 1869 Mark Twain published his "review" of his Mediterranean cruise on a ship called Quaker City, in a book called "The Innocents Abroad".

Good reading, especially his descriptions of the "shore excursions", with observations on the locals, the sights, and tour guides, in a manner only Mark Twain can pull off.

It said that the Noble woman was a writer. But I have not been able to find anything about her.

There are several hand written menu cards from the hotel she stayed in around Europe

There is also the ships deck plan showing the lay out of the ship, and the passenger list.

I haven't read a lot be she does like to talk about the food.

This is so cool I can't wait to read more.

bychance - is this a handwritten orignal journal or a copy. If an original, what a treasure. Was it given as a gift? I find this type of story so fascinating to read. This lady must have been very wealthy to go on such a trip. Enjoy your journey with Annette. :) gg

Lucky you! It sounds incredibly fascinating. I wonder what activities and shore excursions they took? How was the food? Did they have "chair hogs"? :o Thanks for sharing.

LOL I have not read too much of it yet, but if I come across a chair hogging story i will most certainly share it .

This weekend (with help from my kids) I will scan and post some of the things in the book.

bychance - is this a handwritten orignal journal or a copy. If an original, what a treasure. Was it given as a gift? I find this type of story so fascinating to read. This lady must have been very wealthy to go on such a trip. Enjoy your journey with Annette. :) gg

Yes it is hand written. A friend gave it to me last night. His mom passed away and he was going through some of her things a found the journal. He knows I love Cruising and old things of this nature and the kicker is my maiden name is Inman, which is the mane of the line!! So he thought I should have it!

What a great find! I am looking forward to seeing the scanned pages and reading her thoughts on sailing so long ago. I'm sure it wasn't quite as "comfy" as it is for us today! Can you imagine getting in and out of the dresses they wore then, in a stateroom now :D

I am trying to figure out how to scan and post some of theses things I am not good at computer crap!

The pages of the journal are in great shape but the cover and the binding are shot! not sure if I should have it repaired or not. I scanned on thing but I can not figure out how to attach.

I'll do my best to figure it out. Because this stuff is worth sharing!

What a treasure, indeed !!!! And what a great friend !!!!! This book probably has a lot of value in many ways. You might research and find if this cruise line was a predecessor of any of the lines operating today. I am sure there are many individuals who view what you have been given, as very collectible. Also, talk, call, or email someone who is highly regarded in the field of restoring/repairing old documents and they can give you good advice about what, if anything, to do. If you don't have any great museums in your area, you can go on line and contact one of the big ones in the major US cities. Please give us more info about Annette. Thank you for sharing. :) gg

I would think that this journel, is indeed, very collectible. I have seen other vintage ship-related travel journels go for more than $100 on ebay.

BTW, for those who did not read the links above for the SS City of New York, this ship gained further noteriety, as you saw in the film, as the ship that was very nearly struck by the Titanic as the Titanic was departing from her Southampton berth.

That little clue could make it of interest to the Titanic Museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I would contact them, give them as much description and information as you have and ask if they have an interest or could give an estimate as to historical value.

Please let us know as you get more information. This is so very interesting. IMO

What a treasure for cruise lovers, such as us. And the connection to your maiden name indeed makes you the perfect person to possess it. Enjoy it to the fullest and thanks for sharing with us.

What a treasure, indeed !!!! And what a great friend !!!!! This book probably has a lot of value in many ways. You might research and find if this cruise line was a predecessor of any of the lines operating today. I am sure there are many individuals who view what you have been given, as very collectible. Also, talk, call, or email someone who is highly regarded in the field of restoring/repairing old documents and they can give you good advice about what, if anything, to do. If you don't have any great museums in your area, you can go on line and contact one of the big ones in the major US cities. Please give us more info about Annette. Thank you for sharing. :) gg

Well thanks for you advice. I will not do anything to the book without an experts advice. I can't wait to find out more about Annette andher journey.

I am having trouble with scanning and attaching do you think it would be better to take digital pics and try to attach the pics? I don't know but I really do want to share these thing with you all.

I am trying to figure out how to scan and post some of theses things I am not good at computer crap!

The pages of the journal are in great shape but the cover and the binding are shot! not sure if I should have it repaired or not. I scanned on thing but I can not figure out how to attach.

I'll do my best to figure it out. Because this stuff is worth sharing!

The best way might be to scan the pages and save them in a folder on your computer. Then you can download them from your computer onto Webshots. If you are not a member of Webshots, it is fairly easy to sign up. Then you download to Webshots and it is easier to share on this site. Best thing to do is find a teenager to help! Computers are a major part of their life and they figure things out much quicker then we can!:) Good luck! I can't wait to read them!

The best way might be to scan the pages and save them in a folder on your computer. Then you can download them from your computer onto Webshots. If you are not a member of Webshots, it is fairly easy to sign up. Then you download to Webshots and it is easier to share on this site. Best thing to do is find a teenager to help! Computers are a major part of their life and they figure things out much quicker then we can!:) Good luck! I can't wait to read them!

Thanks The teenager route was the next thing on my list!!

I am in the process of taking pics on the journal and will post then or a site to view them.

In reading a little more it seems that cruising was a way to get from one place to another.

Annette was sick for the first few days and spent alot of time in her room. Get this she said her stewardess took very good care of her. Some things don't change!

She was very happy to see land and to sleep in a comfortable bed.

This is so cool!

And the chairhog question she has made to comments about going to HER chair on deck which makes me think they had their own chairs.

Will be back with more.

I am in the process of taking pics on the journal and will post then or a site to view them.

Great! Looking forward to them! :)

In reading a little more it seems that cruising was a way to get from one place to another.

Well, technically she wasn't on a cruise, but a crossing, which had one purpose only, transportation.

Annette was sick for the first few days and spent alot of time in her room.

Smaller ships, no stabilizers, No dramamine or bonine either! :eek: :eek:

And the chairhog question she has made to comments about going to HER chair on deck which makes me think they had their own chairs.

Deck chairs were "hired", that is, reserved just for you and for you only.

This was one of the things passengers did soon after boarding, seeing the deck steward to arrange for your chair. Mothers would tip the steward extra for arranging their daughter's chair next to that of an "elegible" bachelor.

Even then, reserving a chair in the best locations was challenge.

Just imagine, having your own chair, the deck steward coming by to wrap you up nice and snug in a nice wool blanket, coming by with broth and crackers at 11:00, and tea or coffee whenever you want...

Will be back with more

Cool, thanks! Enjoying your posts very much. :D

Hey it worked! Please tell me what you think this is so cool!

Just click on the pic and take a look at the journal!

I have stopped reading the book it seems to be getting weeker as we continue to open it.

Hey it worked! Please tell me what you think this is so cool!

Just click on the pic and take a look at the journal!

I have stopped reading the book it seems to be getting weeker as we continue to open it.

Bychance - I think you have made a wise decision to discontinue with the reading and turning of pages of this special document. I think I would put it somewhere, out of the dust and light - maybe wrap it in a pillowcase or something......until you talk to some folks who really know about antique documents, storage, restoration, value, etc. But do follow up on finding out the value of it or estimated value.......there are some great auction houses with some of the best experts in the business.

To add to last post......I am a bit driven to find out the value of precious things from our past and I will tell you why. In the 1950's, my grandparents gave my parents a very old violin that had been in my mom's family "forever". It was beautiful wood, with mother of pearl inlay, complete with the original bow and a black case with dark blue velvet lining. Inside the violin, thru the opening under the strings (you can tell I am not a music person) was a small aged tag that read a name (can not for the life of me remember), the date 1742, and Corona, Italy. My brother and I kept thinking we should take that to the local music store for appraisal...........but we were young teens and too busy. In 1966, our home burned to the ground........violin and all. If we had found out the violin was valuable, it would have been in a safe deposit box.........but, we will never know. A lesson that has lasted me a long time and still haunts me. gg

Archived