Fairbanks or Anchorage for 3 days precruise?

rebburke

Just booked a cruise for next June for family of four. We will have 3 days precruise before embarking in Seward. Would it be better to fly to Anchorage or Fairbanks and what suggestions do you all have for sightseeing for those 3 days? Appreciate ANY help.

When my DH and I went to Alaska we flew into Anchorage, then took the train, (the next day) into Denali and hiked throught Denali National. It was the best thing we ever did. Breathtaking vista's, awesome wildlife. We stayed in Denali two days then trained it back to Anchorage for another day of hagin out and looking Anchorage over. Then we took the bus to Whittier and boarded the Carnival Spirit. The whole trip was a wonderful expereince. I just wished I would have hiked Denali in my 20's instead of my 40's!!

Have Fun :)

3 days isn't a lot of time, so definately you need Anchorage. I would not suggest Denali Park unless you have 3 full days and even that will be rushed. With your ship sailing out of Seward, that is definately where I would go. You could do 2 nights in Anchorage- with a car rental- see the sights, include heading north, Hatcher Pass, Musk Ox farm, sled dog museum, Eagle River Nature Center, Eklutna Spirt house tours. See Anchorage- request their visitor guide http://www.anchorage.net Then train to Seward- can do a lot on your day of embarkment- do not be in a rush to get on your ship. Do some fantastic touring during the day. If there is more of interest here, the do an ovenight. http://www.seward.com

Thanks all. I think we will fly into Anchorage. I'm trying to talk my husband into 4 days so we can squeeze in Denali - what would be the highlights we would want to see in the Park if we only had 1 1/2 days there?

Thanks all. I think we will fly into Anchorage. I'm trying to talk my husband into 4 days so we can squeeze in Denali - what would be the highlights we would want to see in the Park if we only had 1 1/2 days there?

Definately do all you can to add the day, will make a significant difference in your options. A must for Denali Park is to take the shuttle bus to at least Fish Creek. Plenty of other activities to also consider http://www.nps.gov/dena

Archived