How to get the 'Best Deal' on Carnival ?

parrotthead

Ive got a question for all you experienced Carnival Cruisers.

(I have only cruised on RCI and am new to CCL, so please indulge me):)

Are there any ways to get a better deal than what the Carnival website shows as far as price or perks. (For instance on RCI the price on the website is, pretty much, the only price you will find. That is to say, that TAs cant discount unless they have bought group space etc)

So my question is, if I were to go thru a TA or a 'discount cruise site' would I be likely to find a better price or perks, or am I just spinning my wheels?

Thanks ya'll!

I am looking forward to my next cruise...I dont care *which* line its on!

;)

Are there any ways to get a better deal than what the Carnival website shows as far as price or perks. (For instance on RCI the price on the website is, pretty much, the only price you will find. That is to say, that TAs cant discount unless they have bought group space etc)

So my question is, if I were to go thru a TA or a 'discount cruise site' would I be likely to find a better price or perks, or am I just spinning my wheels?

Thanks ya'll!

;)

Yes, you can call or email a TA for a quote. They arent allowed to advertise rates lower than what Carnival offers, but they can give you a lower quote over the phone. Some have found the best deals are booking with a group.

Im sure you will get more tips.

for what it is worth here is my experience. i try to book early so i can get the cabins i want and i book with a carnival pvp. (either that or very late). then with the early bookings i watch the prices on the online agencies. carnival has always matched the lower prices. carnival will also call me with lower prices. also a good tip is to check the prices of your cruise on their one day sales. they will lower the prices if you ask. they will also upgrade you sometimes. if it is too late they will give you obc's. they have always been very fair with us. i am happy with carnival's pvps. hope this helps!

Thanks you two. Sounds pretty much like what I do anyway...watch and recheck the price all the time. (it does become obsessive, doesnt it) ;)

i am so confused about all the different levels of cabins, "A this and B that" I am not even sure what Im looking at 1/2 the time.:eek:

:p

Thanks you two. Sounds pretty much like what I do anyway...watch and recheck the price all the time. (it does become obsessive, doesnt it) ;)

i am so confused about all the different levels of cabins, "A this and B that" I am not even sure what Im looking at 1/2 the time.:eek:

:p

A..B..C..D..etc Just denotes decks, going from lowest to highest.

Carnival has a lot of sailings that offer military discounts. If this might apply to you, look in to it. My TA said this was a better discount than the group discount he had.

Either way, I know you'll have a great time.

Cool thanks! Do the TAs or '.com' places lower the price if there is a price drop before final deposit.

I have always booked myself directly with the line, but like I mentioned, thats mostly because it was the same price either way and that way I cut out the middle man, but *If* the middle man can save me a few bucks, I say "Bring on the middle man" :D ;) :p

Be sure to be very discerning when choosing a T/A. Some are great and some not so great. Our T/A is always able to beat online prices by $25-$45., even after a veterans discount (you don't have to be active duty, just have a DD214 showing you served). He always lowers our rate if we find it advertised by the cruise line at a lower price. Bon Voyage!

...just make sure all is clear and in writing up front - before you book, the horror stories come when there is an expectation for the TA to do something, and they don't. Like lowering the prices if Carnival does, will the TA do it, some do, some don't, if you want it done, you will have to get it in writing - before you book...

I just booked (this week) on a cruise for 10/08. For the first time, I booked directly with a Carnival PVP and I am soooo impressed. This person spent over an hour looking for deals and ways to get the best price. When I called today to make a change (upgraded one of our three cabins) she did the same thing all over again.

And, she told me to call as often as I want and if I see any specials or price drops to call her immediately. She feels that we will most certainly get a price drop on at least two of the three cabins (we already utilized the military rate on the third cabin).

I am sold!!!

Karen in Kentucky

A..B..C..D..etc Just denotes decks, going from lowest to highest.

I never knew that and had been cruising for many years. I guess you do learn something new everyday. I always wondered what the differance between a 4A and a 4D was.

i am so confused about all the different levels of cabins, "A this and B that" I am not even sure what Im looking at 1/2 the time.:eek: :p

4 = inside cabins

6 = oceanview cabins

8 = balconies.

11 -12 are suites

letter denotes the deck.

5 - port hole cabins located in the front of the ship

9 - bigger cabin- move have a huge wrap around balcony cabin on the aft of the ship.

the above is true for all ships except the spirit class ships. (spirit, miracle, legend and Pride)

then the letters denote if its a regular balcony or an extend balcony.

5's have french doors that open but you cant go outside.

7's have obstructed balconies.

1As on all ships that are great (plus cheapest category) for solo cruisers or people traveling with kids.- bunk beds and only hold two passengers

Yeah for the best deals book in the off seasons, which are Jan-March, and then in Nov/Dec, not on the week of the holdiay of course.

Thanks ya'll!

;)

Yeah for the best deals book in the off seasons, which are Jan-March, and then in Nov/Dec, not on the week of the holdiay of course.

February/March are sometimes premium season--depending on spring break weeks. (easter falls early next year)

I found Sept./Oct to be the cheapest. and booking early gets the best prices.. we paid 388 pp for inside cabins on the Liberty for august 26th.. booked last November-- cruise is now selling for over 700pp for the same cabinz

"then the letters denote if its a regular balcony or an extend balcony.

5's have french doors that open but you cant go outside.

7's have obstructed balconies. "

I need someone to explain this to me...French doors, that open, but you can't go outside...what is beyond the French doors???

Welcome Parrotthead! I have only cruised Carnival once before, about 5 years ago. I usually go with RCI, and I know you from that board! We just booked our second Carnival cruise for this November. We never made it in August to Key West due to Ernesto, so we are trying again this Fall! RCI couldn't compete in price, and since this is an "extra" vacation, every penny mattered!! What I have been told, is that once you have cruised with Carnival you are able to get upgrades for free. So for this one I booked an inside cabin (trying for the first time!) on a lower deck, but was brought up to a higher deck due to being a previous cruiser on Carnival. I don't think that you get any other discounts, but I could be wrong. I also know to keep checking the price to see if it goes down!!

If I don't get to Key West on this cruise, I will have to just keep trying! I gave my son the "Trails of Margarittaville Tour" for his 8th birthday last year, so l feel like I still owe it to him!! :D All for the kids...that is my story and I am sticking to it!! Getting an extra cruise out of the deal is just a side benefit....;)

Please let us know what cruise you decide on!

Terry

"

I need someone to explain this to me...French doors, that open, but you can't go outside...what is beyond the French doors???

Terry

a railing-- you get to open the doors to get fresh air...the lifebaots are outside and will be your view

i dont recommend this type of cabin for young kids.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1071604358044165222MSjswy

I also want to point out that because you are a past guest-- that doesnt automatic give you free upgrades-- you just happen to fall into the sale they were having.

if the price comes down on that particular cabin you have-- then you should be entitled to a rebate in your price.

Hey Terry.

I do remember chatting with you about your kiddo going on the Margaritaville tour. What a bummer to miss it. Agreed you *must* rebook ;) I would have been very disappointed to miss KeyWest on that last cruise I went on (it was the whole reason I booked it)

Carnival does have the best prices right now, esp out of Galveston where RCI has all but pulled out of. Makes me crazy tho, because I would have been Platnuim on this cruise and here I am "starting over" so to speak. alas.

Oh well. At least its a cruise and I do love this itinerary. I am looking at the 4 night out of Galveston its nice, with a stop in Cozumel and 2 glorious days at sea! (sea days is the reason I love to cruise!)

a railing-- you get to open the doors to get fresh air...the lifebaots are outside and will be your view

i dont recommend this type of cabin for young kids.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1071604358044165222MSjswy

I also want to point out that because you are a past guest-- that doesnt automatic give you free upgrades-- you just happen to fall into the sale they were having.

if the price comes down on that particular cabin you have-- then you should be entitled to a rebate in your price.

Thanks for the shot of the French Doors! Yes, there is no way I could do that one with my 4 year old! He would be tossing his older brother over the railing....

Thanks for the past guest info! I am still just learning!! :o

Terry

Hey Terry.

I do remember chatting with you about your kiddo going on the Margaritaville tour. What a bummer to miss it. Agreed you *must* rebook ;) I would have been very disappointed to miss KeyWest on that last cruise I went on (it was the whole reason I booked it)

Carnival does have the best prices right now, esp out of Galveston where RCI has all but pulled out of. Makes me crazy tho, because I would have been Platnuim on this cruise and here I am "starting over" so to speak. alas.

Oh well. At least its a cruise and I do love this itinerary. I am looking at the 4 night out of Galveston its nice, with a stop in Cozumel and 2 glorious days at sea! (sea days is the reason I love to cruise!)

I know you Texans must be upset over RCI pulling out! We haven't told our kids yet about the November cruise, just in case we need to cancel. I think I will wait until our after our next Buffett concert at the end of June to tell him, or his birthday in August. When they hear us talking about a "cruise" they think it is the one in Aug '08 so they don't pay any attention!!

I also love the sea days! I will have one on this cruise. I am learning that I like the sea days, and I always like one day at a beach. Any more than one day, my younger one gets antsy!!

Enjoy!

Terry

Archived