Another Tipping Question

Hey Gang,

I have a tipping question that I am sure has been asked b4, but I cant find anything on it.

When the automatic tips are placed on your S+S card, (when you first get on the ship) does the staff know this? Meaning are they made aware of who has already tipped and who has not?

Its not that I will not tip them EVERYTHING they are due plus MORE. In fact I usually leave an additional PHAT tip for the waitstaff and the room steward.

But I was wondering if anyone knows if they are informed ahead of time who has automatically tipped?

Glad you asked this.

I've wondered that. I've really wondered....if I increase my tip on the S&S account as well.....does it go to MY waitstaff/steward? Or is it just a "lump" to all? And does the person who assisted my family know that I left them a larger amount?

Hey Gang,

I have a tipping question that I am sure has been asked b4, but I cant find anything on it.

When the automatic tips are placed on your S+S card, (when you first get on the ship) does the staff know this? Meaning are they made aware of who has already tipped and who has not?

Its not that I will not tip them EVERYTHING they are due plus MORE. In fact I usually leave an additional PHAT tip for the waitstaff and the room steward.

But I was wondering if anyone knows if they are informed ahead of time who has automatically tipped?

There have been articles and postings on this site and other websites that say yes and no. None of the various articles and/or postings are from an actual cruise line authority. All are reports of what the "authority" said. That is all second hand info or interpretation of their meaning.

Regardless what "THE OFFICIAL POLICY" is, I believe the employees DO KNOW, even if they are not supposed to know until after the cruise ends. You know how the real world works. Manny is your server, Stash is Manny's roommate, beautiful Inga is Stash's cousin, beautiful Inga is sleeping with the Pursers' Asst., so Inga learns all and passes it on. Or thousands of variations on that theme.

The 2 single questions about auto-tipping I ever asked a server [one that I knew from a previous cruise] Do you like the new auto-tipping? and Do you know who has tipped and who has not? YES was the answer to both. That does not make it true then or now. But I think it is true.

Dan

well not that I have ever had bad service on any of my cruises, but do you think the staff would work harder if you removed tha auto tip?

It is understandable that people may get complacent if they knew they already had their money......

do you think your service would improve or decline if you removed the auto tip?

well not that I have ever had bad service on any of my cruises, but do you think the staff would work harder if you removed tha auto tip?

It is understandable that people may get complacent if they knew they already had their money......

do you think your service would improve or decline if you removed the auto tip?

Now I get a little bothered by your follow up question. I have often said that I believe all tip questions are just asking for ways to get out of tipping. I won't accuse you of that here.

But,

They do not RECEIVE THE TIP until the cruise is over and a pax can remove the tips up until the last day. So they got bupkus until you're gone.

Plus it has been stated on this board and another one that the cruise line has tracked the people that, "Want to remove the auto-tip, to tip in cash."

They have found that NINETY-TWO PERCENT of them DO NOT TIP A SINGLE CENT. So if you remove the auto-tip and your servers KNOW that there is a 92% chance you will stiff them no matter how well they perform. Do YOU think service will improve????

Dan

Now I get a little bothered by your follow up question. I have often said that I believe all tip questions are just asking for ways to get out of tipping. I won't accuse you of that here.

But,

They do not RECEIVE THE TIP until the cruise is over and a pax can remove the tips up until the last day. So they got bupkus until you're gone.

Plus it has been stated on this board and another one that the cruise line has tracked the people that, "Want to remove the auto-tip, to tip in cash."

They have found that NINETY-TWO PERCENT of them DO NOT TIP A SINGLE CENT. So if you remove the auto-tip and your servers KNOW that there is a 92% chance you will stiff them no matter how well they perform. Do YOU think service will improve????

Dan

Although they may have found that 92% don't pay a tip at all, I am one of the other 8%. I removed my auto tip and at the end of the cruise paid the tips to who I felt deserved it. So not everyone is trying to get out of it, just trying to put their tip more towards what they want it to go to.

Dawn

5/14/2006 Pride Honeymoon Cruise!

2/24/2008 Pride Family Vacation!

OMG - ouch! Are you serious that 92% of cruisers don't pay gratuities at all???

How old is this study?

I don't know what their hourly wages are and if they're also having to pay taxes on their earnings, but that's sad.

But,

Dan

This is good information. I have always wondered if they received it after you are gone. We will tip the cabin steward and our waitstaff extra and I love how you can pre-pay all of your gratuities with the total cost of your cruise. We were not offered that by our TA on our first cruise and they took it straight out of our S&S account when we boarded, not this time, it's already paid :D !!!

Every cruise I go on - first question I ask the room steward is do you prefer you tip in cash or the auto tip from sign and sail. So far, they have all said cash - so I give them a $20.00 up front and tell them the rest will be at the end of the cruise.

I then explain how and what I would like on a daily basis - so far we have always had great service and have always tipped above and beyond.

I think everyone should tip the minimum and then above - but this is another to each his own.

OMG - ouch! Are you serious that 92% of cruisers don't pay gratuities at all???

How old is this study?

I don't know what their hourly wages are and if they're also having to pay taxes on their earnings, but that's sad.

Their monthly wages are about $50. plus room and board. And they DO NOT pay US taxes on their income, wages or tips. I doubt they pay any taxes to any country. But what they make and how they spend it is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS anymore than your income is any of their business. They should be tipped for the service they render to us. No better reason exists.

The study is less than 2 years old, maybe less than 1 yo. It IS NOT 92% of all pax. Just 92% of those that remove the auto-tip, "TO PAY IN CASH."

TIPPING HISTORY 101,

30 plus years ago, all meals were in the dining room, there was only a minor snack bar and the dining room, no full meal buffet. The last night tip envelopes were handed to the servers by the guests. % that tipped unknown. Cost for first cruise for 2, low deck porthole cabin, 11 days $6800. Tips were something like $7 or$8 pppd.

25 years ago,

Many new ships were built, prices fell, buffets were added to the newbuilds. Final nite dining room attendance suffered. More and more over the years until less than 50% turnout [tippers] came to be common.

More and more ships needing more and more servers, yet fewer and fewer were tipping. Cruising becomes possible for the mass market, price becomes paramount.

5 to 10 years ago,

Auto-tipping is started as something HAD to be done. Include it in the fare? That raises prices and it is not a tip for service anymore, it is just a fee like other fees and taxes. Those wanting, or demanding extra service KNOW they will have to tip on top of any fees. Would this cause more complaints about tipping? 100% certain it would.

Dan

Why don't you search for it, then you'd know.

Or just stiff the workers and don't try to justify it. No way for us to know.

Dan

Oh, because I don't believe that there is a study. I am now one of the ones that stiff the workers:confused: Nice.........

Oh, because I don't believe that there is a study. I am now one of the ones that stiff the workers:confused: Nice.........

The study exists. I have read it.

The study was performed by NCL and based on the results NCL switched to mandatory service fees.

Having said that though, the quoted 92% seems a tad high from what I can remember (it's been a couple of years), not by much but high.

We have always done the pre-pay when we book. We like it and when we board the ship, we do not owe anyone anything!

We always take 4 Thank You cards and give our cabin and waiter staff an extra $20.00 each on the last night of the cruise along with a little trinket from our home town.

It's not allot, but they seem to enjoy the little things.

Hey Gang,

We just got off our cruise and paid the $70 on the S&S. Me and my SIL wondered how much would be reasonable to give as extra to our room steward and 2 wait staff guys. They were all 3 awesome people. This

took us awhile to figure out, and I can't remember how much my husband

did end up giving them extra. We even went down and asked the girl at

the purser's desk how much and she had no idea. So, how much do you guys leave extra on the last day? I hope we left them enough because

they were really worth it. I can't believe they only make $50.00 a month. They work their butts off.

Well I don't think this question has been asked before... But all staterooms are charged the pre tips, whether or not you wanted them included in the price of your cruise when you originally booked. So I would think there are some who after boarding, take them off right away, those are tip-stiffers, or those who only want to tip in cash in person. So yeah, I think they would know.

What is it with everyone and the tipping? The auto tip is really part of the cost of the cruise.

The crew is working a long day, away from their homes and loved ones for 3 months at a time, sharing a tiny cabin with 3 other people, just so they can wait on you hand and foot for a vacation you paid $1000 to go on, and it's gonna kill you to give them the lousy $10 a day? Those are people - not slaves - and many of them need that money as part of their salaries.

If the service is good and you want to tip more, by all means do, but do it above and beyond the $10 auto-tip.

They could always raise the crew's salaries and eliminate auto-tipping.

Removing the auto tip from your account is like taking coins out of the blind man's cup, IMHO.

What is it with everyone and the tipping? The auto tip is really part of the cost of the cruise.

June is "Tipping" Thread Month

July is "Can I wear Jeans to Formal night" Thread Month

August - November is "Hurricane" Thread Months

Dec is "I missed my flight due to airline cancellations and cold weather" Thread Month

Jan - April is "I got a great price" Thread Months

May is "How can I smuggle booze onboard" Thread Month

June, See above.

Fred

What is it with everyone and the tipping?

I often wonder if people get this uptight about tipping before they go out to a restaurant.

Do they say "They really should add the tip to the price of the meal, blah blah blah".

:rolleyes:

Archived