Review Sapphire Princess and 7 Day Independent Land Tour

LarryF

Larry, thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I keep checking the boards to see if the next "installment" is in! We leave for your exact trip ... only backwards ... next Saturday. You've got me chomping at the bit to get there already! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hopefully I'll have it finished before you leave, but it just seems to take me forever to write about each day! I'll try to have Glacier Bay and College Fjord done by tomorrow night.

Larry

Hi Larry,

You seem to be so very knowledgeable about Alaska, I'm wondering if you might help me out. My husband and I live in VT, and are visiting Alaska next summer for the first time on a cruise. We don't know whether to leave from Vancouver or Seattle, whether to do the Anchorage/Denali/ Fairbanks cruise or the Yukon Territory, etc, or ??? Don't know about side trips either. What would you recommend?

Jeanne:o

Hi Larry,

You seem to be so very knowledgeable about Alaska, I'm wondering if you might help me out. My husband and I live in VT, and are visiting Alaska next summer for the first time on a cruise. We don't know whether to leave from Vancouver or Seattle, whether to do the Anchorage/Denali/ Fairbanks cruise or the Yukon Territory, etc, or ??? Don't know about side trips either. What would you recommend?

Jeanne:o

This was our first time to Alaska and I preferred to do a one way trip through he inside passage to Alaska and then do our own independent tour renting a car and traveling the interior between Seward and Denali.

If you have done so already, you should post this questions on the main Alaska thread. There are a lot more knowledgeable people that could give you the pros and cons of going from Vancouver versus Seattle and the pros and cons of going a one way to Alaska or round trip to and from Seattle or Vancouver...

Larry

Larry:

What is the name of the Guide that you used for the info on the drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake in Skagway? We are reserved for the train ride but your review of the do it on your own has me thinking I am going to cancel the train ride and book a rental car. We are more do on your own type travelers anyway!

Thanks for your wonderful review! Just over 70 days until we leave!:D

Larry:

What is the name of the Guide that you used for the info on the drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake in Skagway? We are reserved for the train ride but your review of the do it on your own has me thinking I am going to cancel the train ride and book a rental car. We are more do on your own type travelers anyway!

Thanks for your wonderful review! Just over 70 days until we leave!:D

SkiCruiser,

Here is the link to the guide for the South Klondike drive...http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Hope you enjoy it...

Larry

I was thinking about our last two trips to Alaska tonight and wanting to really go back again this year. I thought I would check the Alaska Port Board to see if anyone had seen a pod of Orca's this year yet or not and ran across your post. I thoroughly have enjoyed your review and your pictures make me really want to go back. You are so incredibly lucky to have been able to see Mt. McKinley. I have not been lucky enough to see it in person yet. Your pictures are incredible of Mt. McKinley. I also loved all of your whale pictures and the way you put these on for everyone to view. Thank you!!!!

I was thinking about our last two trips to Alaska tonight and wanting to really go back again this year. I thought I would check the Alaska Port Board to see if anyone had seen a pod of Orca's this year yet or not and ran across your post. I thoroughly have enjoyed your review and your pictures make me really want to go back. You are so incredibly lucky to have been able to see Mt. McKinley. I have not been lucky enough to see it in person yet. Your pictures are incredible of Mt. McKinley. I also loved all of your whale pictures and the way you put these on for everyone to view. Thank you!!!![/quote

With all the incredible things we did, Mt. McKinley was surely the Jewel of our trip. Hopefully I will get to that review before the end of the week...

Larry

I am really enjoying your review. I have a question for you.

What was your overall impression of the Sapphire? Were the crowds a problem? I had originally planned to go on the Coral but got such a deal on a aft cabin on the Sapphire I changed to her. Wondering if I will sorry.

Of course, a trip to Alaska on anything would be great.

I am really enjoying your review. I have a question for you.

What was your overall impression of the Sapphire? Were the crowds a problem? I had originally planned to go on the Coral but got such a deal on a aft cabin on the Sapphire I changed to her. Wondering if I will sorry.

Of course, a trip to Alaska on anything would be great.

I had originally booked the Coral as well, but changed to the Sapphire because it gave us the opportunity to spend 2 more days on our independent land tour.

Since this was our 4th time on a large Princess ship (Grand, Golden and Caribbean), I was neither impressed or disappointed with the Sapphire. I gues the best words would be that I has satisfied and content. Please don't take that as a negative. If this is your first time on a large Princess ship, I think you will find it to be outstanding. Based on our cruises on RCCL, HAL, NCL and Carnival, in my opinion the Princess ships we sailed were superior to the others. That's not to say that there weren't other niches on each of the other lines more superior to the others.

Since we have sailed on the three largers ships I was looking forward to experiencing a little smaller ship on Princess. We had a few freinds that sailed the Coral and loved it. But you know what, I put all that way behind me and thoroughly enjoyed our time on the Sapphire Princess!

I was thinking about our last two trips to Alaska tonight and wanting to really go back again this year. I thought I would check the Alaska Port Board to see if anyone had seen a pod of Orca's this year yet or not and ran across your post. I thoroughly have enjoyed your review and your pictures make me really want to go back. You are so incredibly lucky to have been able to see Mt. McKinley. I have not been lucky enough to see it in person yet. Your pictures are incredible of Mt. McKinley. I also loved all of your whale pictures and the way you put these on for everyone to view. Thank you!!!![/quote

With all the incredible things we did, Mt. McKinley was surely the Jewel of our trip. Hopefully I will get to that review before the end of the week...

Larry

FANTASTIC pictures!!! Thanks for sharing! AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks for the reply. I've never cruise on any line except Carnival. Last time we went to Alaska it was on the Carnival Spirit. While I LOVED Alaska, I did not really like the overall atmosphere or food on the Spirit and was glad when it was time to disembark. I'm looking for a little more upscale experience this time.

Larry:

Just wanted you to know that I did make the reservation for car rental with Avis. Got a corporate rate for $39.00 for an Impala or similar. Thanks for all the info!!:D :D Now I need to cancel the Train tour.

Cheryl

Hello Everyone,

I am sorry to dissapoint, but I won't have my chapter posted until tomorrow (Tuesday June 12), but I do have a nice treat for you if this works.

I completed a music video slide show that I believe you all will like. To view it you may have to download some software called Photo Show Gold, but I'm not sure. I assure you it is a safe software. The website you need to go to is http://www.proshowgold.com.

Once there click on the "sharing" tab on top of the page. That will take you to a page titled "On-Line Sharing." On the left had column of that page click on the "browse member" tab. On the page that comes up next to the "member name" type in LarryF (be sure to capitalize the L and F) and press go. On the next page you will see an icon with "Our Alaska..." written underneath it. Press on that icon and a page will come up that says "Our Alaska Vacation." Press on the middle of that Icon and the slide show will play. If you right click on the show it will give you an option to press on full screen if you want to fill the screen. Be sure to turn up the volume. I hope this works...If so, enjoy!

What a great production. I wish my pictures were as worthy of such a show. We will have to return to have the thrill of Mt. Mckinley. I know now from you pictures what we were told was true. When asking where to look in order not to miss her if she showed, everyone just said you will know!

Still can't wait for the rest of your trip report! :)

What a wonderful slideshow. If you don't do this professionally, you should. Your review has been the best I've ever read.

I probably should already know, but who was singing? His voice was beautiful.

Thanks Magnolia... The name of the singer is Andrea Bocelli. I saw him in concert earlier this year and he is amazing. When I hear this song, I knew that I wanted to use in my slide show of Alaska!

Larry

Thanks Magnolia... The name of the singer is Andrea Bocelli. I saw him in concert earlier this year and he is amazing. When I hear this song, I knew that I wanted to use in my slide show of Alaska!

Larry

MUSIC??? I know you mentioned adding your pics or review to music..but I have looked at your pics & if you added it already I dont' know where it is??

MUSIC??? I know you mentioned adding your pics or review to music..but I have looked at your pics & if you added it already I dont' know where it is??

If you read down a few more posts, I had posted directions to view a slide show I completed last night. Here is a copy of that posting...

I am sorry to dissapoint, but I won't have my chapter posted until tomorrow (Tuesday June 12), but I do have a nice treat for you if this works.

I completed a music video slide show that I believe you all will like. To view it you may have to download some software called Photo Show Gold, but I'm not sure. I assure you it is a safe software. The website you need to go to is http://www.proshowgold.com.

Once there click on the "sharing" tab on top of the page. That will take you to a page titled "On-Line Sharing." On the left had column of that page click on the "browse member" tab. On the page that comes up next to the "member name" type in LarryF (be sure to capitalize the L and F) and press go. On the next page you will see an icon with "Our Alaska..." written underneath it. Press on that icon and a page will come up that says "Our Alaska Vacation." Press on the middle of that Icon and the slide show will play. If you right click on the show it will give you an option to press on full screen if you want to fill the screen. Be sure to turn up the volume. I hope this works...If so, enjoy!

Hello All,

To continue…

Thursday, May 25, 2007

You guessed it; I was up really early today, dressed and out on the deck around 6:00 a.m. One of the main reasons I chose this itinerary was so we could see Glacier Bay. I was one of the first on deck and it was cloudy and cold! I was rewarded for being the early worm, as shortly after I came on deck an we were treated to a sighting of an Orca whale about 400 feet from the ship! Some time around 6:30 a.m. the Captain announced that Park Rangers would be boarding the ship and setting themselves up in the back of the Calypso Pool area (indoor pool). One of the Park Rangers would also be guiding us through Glacier Bay and would be commentating and pointing out sights to us along the way. That’s when he also announced that the first Glacier viewing would be around 8:30 a.m. So for those of you who want a little extra sleep, I would recommend being out on your balcony or on deck between 8:00 and 8:15 a.m.

After the announcement I watched as the tender came alongside the ship and unloaded the Rangers. I then made my way to the Horizon Court for an early breakfast of my usual breakfast food.

I went down to the cabin around 7:00 a.m. and put on a couple of more layers as I planned to be out on the deck until we left Glacier Bay later in the day. My full ensemble was 5 layers of clothes consisting of long underwear; pull over turtle neck shirt, sweat shirt, fleece jacket and a light weight rain coat with hood, hiking pants, wool hat, wool socks and heavy Gortex winter gloves! The outside temperature was somewhere between 38 and 40 degrees, but with the wind chill factor on the front of the ship it felt like it was in the teens. While lots of others were shivering, I felt quite comfortable! :D

As mentioned before, it was a mostly cloudy day, but the clouds were mostly high in the sky with a few mystical low hanging clouds that just added another layer of beauty as they drifted in front of the snow capped mountains.

I went back up on deck around 7:30 a.m. while Amy went to breakfast and we met back up at 8:00 a.m. near the pool deck. I had read in some earlier posts most people viewed Glacier Bay on their balconies or from other areas inside the ship, but that wasn’t so in our case. By the time we got to the first Glacier, the decks on the front and Port side of the ship were full of passengers armed with their binoculars and cameras, and by the time we made it to Marjorie Glacier it was tough to find a spot along the railing!

Glacier Bay was just tantalizing and beautiful. The weather was about as good as it can get, in that the cloud cover was just about perfect to bring out the incredible blue colors to the surface of the Glacier Ice! The mixture of clouds and areas of blue sky cast awesome shadows on the calm smooth water. The ranger narrating our way through Glacier Bay was fantastic. If you wanted to stay on your balcony you could tune to one of the channels and turn the volume high and listen to her on the TV as well as out on deck.

The amount of people on the front of the ship had now grown to hundreds of people and the noise level was so loud you could not hear the Ranger talk. I was amazed at how rude a lot of people were with the amount of noise they made. :mad: We left and found a much quieter spot along the Port side railing mid ship before we got to Marjorie Glacier.:)

The face of Marjorie Glacier is about between 250 – 300 feet high, about the same size as a football field and is 1 mile wide. Because of the amount of calving activity and also the amount of ice in the water, the ship had stopped about ¼ mile from the Glacier.

As we slowly drifted toward Marjorie Glacier you could begin to hear the sounds of ice cracking and creaking and then we heard a loud shot gun sound as a 20 foot high sheet of ice broke off the glacier and crashed into the Bay with a thunderous roar! You could just feel the excitement and energy of everyone around us as we all anticipated where the next calving would occur. We were not disappointed as several times a 20 foot to 40 foot high sheet of ice would crash into the water. Everyone would just gasp and ooooh and awwww as the ice came tumbling down.

The sounds and sights from the calving of Glacier were unbelievable and boy, were we in for a surprise! About the time we had become accustomed to the ice falling, we heard a slow rumbling noise and then a massive cracking sound as at the very center of the Glacier a sheet of ice that had to be close to 250 feet high and at least 250 feet wide began to completely shear off the face of the Glacier. Think about it, it would take over five 48’ high semi trucks stacked one on top of the other and five more side by side to equal the amount of ice that began to fall. I cannot recall any visual effect in any high tech movie that could compare to this real life natural show right in front of our lucky eyes! I was viewing it from my camera as I held down the shutter that clicked 20 straight times capturing the entire sequence from start to finish! I remember it as if it all happened in slow motion. The thunderous roar produced by the ice crashing into the water was so loud it drowned out the Ranger on the PA system. The wake from the crash took about 30 seconds to reach the ship and then it actually rocked the massive ship gently back and forth! Afterwards, the Ranger was so excited it sounded like she was going to have a heart attack. It’s definitely a sight I will never forget and thankfully I’ve got the entire sequence in pictures.

We were not able to see John’s Hopkins Glacier as there was too much ice in the water to get there. Normally I would have been disappointed, but after the show Mother Nature gave us I could only be thankful at how lucky and blessed we had been so far on this glorious vacation!:)

As the ship began its journey to leave Glacier Bay, Amy and I headed to the Burger Station to load our tray with lunch and go sit at a table by the aft pool and just soak in the scenery as we cruised slowly between incredible gorgeous snow capped mountain and dozens of waterfalls and an occasional eagle soaring over us. We were absolutely famished from the excitement of the day. Amy had a grilled chicken sandwich and I had my usual cheeseburger and we shared fries and onion rings. There was little wind on the back of the ship and the temperatures had warmed up into the high 50’s. We then went to the Ranger’s information area they had set up in the Conservatory at the Calypso Pool. They had a lot of items on display as well as sold various gift items such as t-shirts, hats, books and audio CD’s. We bought an Alaskan music CD.

I was also totally exhausted at this point, so I made my way to the cabin and took a wonderful nap while Amy went to the Princess Theater to hear the Rangers talk about our cruise through Glacier Bay. She enjoyed the talk very much and recommends it highly.

There were a number of shipboard activities that afternoon including wine tasting, art auction, afternoon tea, fruit and vegetable carving demo, line dancing, trivia and bingo. Amy and I sat on the balcony most of the afternoon. I enjoyed sipping on some wine and smoking a nice cigar while Amy read her book. It was very relaxing. I then talked Amy into going in the Jacuzzi with me and we spent an hour or so soaking in the hot tub making new acquaintances and enjoying the scenery. Neither one of us wanted to leave it was just so enjoyable.

It was formal night, so I again begrudgingly wore my tuxedo to dinner. I say begrudgingly because dressing formal in Alaska is like an oxymoron. It just doesn’t seem to fit. Alaska is the last frontier where at this time of year, the sun doesn’t set until midnight and even then it doesn’t really get dark. Alaska is very rustic and it almost seems ludicrous to be formally dressed in this type of setting. I don’t pay much attention to what others wear, but I was happy to see others weren’t as gutless as me and wore much more comfortable clothes! Next time the tux is staying home!:D

We dined in the Savoy dining room. We liked this dining room the best (not sure why), but we felt most comfortable in the Savoy. As is the case on almost every cruise we’ve sailed, Lobster was the featured item on the menu for our second formal night. The menu also featured Beef Wellington. There were no large tables available, so we sat at a table for 2. We had twosomes on each side of us, so we were still able to meet some new people and have nice conversations during dinner. I again opted for the Shrimp Cocktail, Caesar Salad and chose the Lobster dinner for my entrée. Without asking, which I would have done, my waiter told me that he would bring me another order of the lobster when I had finished eating the first ones. Amy ordered a delicious duck appetizer along with a dinner salad and chose the Beef Wellington for her entrée. Both the Beef Wellington and Lobster were outstanding. I almost really made a pig of myself and thought of ordering a third order of Lobster, but thought better of it as I opted for chocolate mint ice cream instead! Amy had chocolate cake for dessert and both desserts were quite good.

We were done with dinner a little earlier tonight so we went to Club Fusion for the Marriage Game show (take off on the Newly Wed Game). The show was ok, but the variety of contestants was not up to par with others we have seen in the past.

Afterwards we met up with our friends from Chicago at the Princess Theatre for the 10:15 p.m. show. Tonight’s show was called “Piano Man” and featured the Princess Singers and Dancers and the Princess Orchestra. The show was fabulous and I felt was the best show of the week. They performed to songs written or performed by Billy Joel, Elton John, Barry Manilow and Liberace. The Liberace portion was really well done and enjoyable. We really enjoyed the entire performance.

After the performance we joined our friends in the Crooners bar again for a night cap before retiring for the evening.

It had been another incredible day. I wish days like this could just go on forever! Tomorrow would be our last day cruising and we would cruise through College Fjord. As we would not enter College Fjord until after 5:00 p.m. would this mean I could actually sleep a little longer?

I didn’t know what to expect in College Fjord as I had read posts that some people felt College Fjord was nicer than Glacier Bay. Could that be so? Stay tuned!

Too be continued….

Larry

Wow, that was great reading, thank you so much for posting. I was waiting for it, but never expected it to be that good! I'm on the edge of my seat now even for the next one.

One questions--where did you get your GORTEX winter gloves? I think I need to purchase a pair before I leave. (guess I need them fed exed at this point.......)

Wow, that was great reading, thank you so much for posting. I was waiting for it, but never expected it to be that good! I'm on the edge of my seat now even for the next one.

One questions--where did you get your GORTEX winter gloves? I think I need to purchase a pair before I leave. (guess I need them fed exed at this point.......)

I just looked at them and actually they weren't gortex. I got them at an REI store in Atlanta. You can order them on line at http://www.rei.com.

They are a made from a mixture of nylon, polyester and polyurethane. They were very comfortable, kept my hands realy warm and worked well in the rain on the few occasions we were in rain.

You can find this type of glove at any good outdoor fishing, hiking or travel store like Bass Pro Outlet and others.

Larry

If you read down a few more posts, I had posted directions to view a slide show I completed last night. Here is a copy of that posting...

I completed a music video slide show that I believe you all will like. To view it you may have to download some software called Photo Show Gold, but I'm not sure. I assure you it is a safe software. The website you need to go to is www.proshowgold.com.

OK thanks--I thought you weren't doing it til the weekend..I did save your directions...(the FIRST time) :D

Archived