I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I don't know if anyone has suggested Donna Leon's mystery novels. They are all set in Venice and some even come with maps of the city. Her detective is Guido Brunetti and after a couple of the books you begin to become very attached to his wife, Paola and their two teenagers. The people Brunetti works with are wonderful characters as well.

Has anyone read Atonement by Ian McEwen? The movie is coming out soon and is already getting raves. I would also like to suggest "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" about a young white girl growing up in Africa.

I have to make myself stop now because I can easily think of about 100 other titles. Lily

Do you know the order in which the Donna Leon books were written? I love series with the same lead character, but I prefer to read them in order.

Also, someone asked about ship libraries. They're spotty. I usually take several books and leave them in the library after I've read them.

Re: audiobooks. I buy most of my audiobooks on ebay. Sometimes they're new, but often they've been listened to only once. The prices are usually very reasonable. I also buy other books on ebay, too.

Do you know the order in which the Donna Leon books were written? I love series with the same lead character, but I prefer to read them in order.

Also, someone asked about ship libraries. They're spotty. I usually take several books and leave them in the library after I've read them.

Re: audiobooks. I buy most of my audiobooks on ebay. Sometimes they're new, but often they've been listened to only once. The prices are usually very reasonable. I also buy other books on ebay, too.

I agree that reading these in order is best. I didn't do it and wish I had. Her first novel is Death AT La Fenice. Also having a map of Venice at hand is a great idea. Here is a web site that lists the books in order: http://italian-mysteries.com/DLap.html

Have fun!

I didn't read through this whole thread, but how about some great cruise books?

"What time is the Midnight Buffet?" by chesterh--who also posts on here. Arguably the MOST enjoyable book written on cruising.

"Cruise Ship Passengers Ask the Wackiest Questions"--very funny, great for poolside--only a 1 hr read.

I read about 140 books a year....My favorite has been the "Outlander" series by Dianna Gabladon (it's late, not sure of spelling) Her books are history, romance, adventure and just fantastic! There are 6 books, dont let the large number of pages scare you off, and I ask only to read until page 51 and if you dont love it, dont finish it (I have told a lot of "readers" and no one has not loved it! Happy Reading!

I read about 140 books a year....My favorite has been the "Outlander" series by Dianna Gabladon (it's late, not sure of spelling) Her books are history, romance, adventure and just fantastic! There are 6 books, dont let the large number of pages scare you off, and I ask only to read until page 51 and if you dont love it, dont finish it (I have told a lot of "readers" and no one has not loved it! Happy Reading!

I'm in the middle of the second book (Dragonfly in Amber) right now! I'm actually LISTENING to the series on tapes in my car since I drive a lot. I have quite a long rush hour ride every morning and evening, and these books are perfect. I'm enjoying these books immensely!

Saw your sig "harleycruises" and thought you might want to check out the Hogs on the High Seas Cruises. Its a blast. On RCCL Check it out at www.hogsonthehighseas.com :o

I'm another one who loves these books, they're hard to put down.

I also like the earth's children books by Jean M Auel, thie first one is a little slow, but the next 4 are fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know how the librarys on the ship are? Do they offer a good selection & is there a fee to borrow?

Would be better to borrow theirs than pack if they have a nice selection.

Toothfairy, the Carnival libraries have a wide selection of books. They are free to check out but only during the hours of attendance which is usually one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon on sea days, however, the library is open all the time to just go in and read. Check your ship newspaper for the hours. Travelgirl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to recommend Adrian McKinty's Dead I Well May Be. It's the coming of age tale about an Irish immigrant. You know, the usual boy kicked out of British Army, boy comes to the States, boy hired then betrayed by the Mob. Boy seeks revenge. A truly great read full of wit, suspense, and dark humour.

I have to recommend Adrian McKinty's Dead I Well May Be. It's the coming of age tale about an Irish immigrant. You know, the usual boy kicked out of British Army, boy comes to the States, boy hired then betrayed by the Mob. Boy seeks revenge. A truly great read full of wit, suspense, and dark humor.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I love to read and I think the best book I ever read was The Kite Runner. It's a real treat.

I agree. I also have the second one he wrote, but haven't started reading it yet. Maybe I will take it on the cruise next month. I'm in the middle of a WEB Griffin book right now.