I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

• 3 weeks later...
I will admit that I did not read the entire thread, but somebody that is great to read is Randy Wayne White, he is from S.W. Florida and keeps a nice warm weather theme in his books.

This is my favorite author right now. For an exciting read that is entertaining and gives you a feeling for the Florida lifestyle, read all of the series of Doc Ford mystery novels. He's a fabulous author!

The Glass Castle - super quick read, about a girl growing up in a very poor household and what she did to survive

Emily Giffin's books are also great, and funny - something borrowed, something blue, and baby proof (in that order)

Anyone read the Kite Runner? Just wondering if it too intense for a cruise...

these are all older books but...

Lamb by by Christopher Moore was hilarious! Although probably not for the very religious...

Another slightly odd but good read from him is Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings. Took me a minute to get into it but when I did I couldn't stop reading.

Also... I just recently read Wicked by Gregory Maguire and I must say that I have not been affected by book the way I was when I read that in quite some time!

I just LOVE Jeanne Ray's books. Finally, everyone isn't 20-something and perfect. I appreciate that as I'm getting older. I'm now 54, but I read Julie and Romeo when it first came out, several years ago. She's a good author!

Lynn

Don't laugh but Katherine Anne Porter's "Ship Of Fools" is a great read for a cruise. I think the movie even (for a change) did the book justice (Vivien Leigh's last film.)

If you like (or love) animals, try reading "Marley And Me."

Dave

Right now I am really addicted to the CSI books.

CSI Miami really gets me in the cruising mood because there is always a reference to Port Miami and the cruise ships!

Harm for the Holiday actually takes place on a cruise ship! :) Its a good read. I am reading Riptide now, its a Miami CSI book aswell.

I just LOVE Jeanne Ray's books. Finally, everyone isn't 20-something and perfect. I appreciate that as I'm getting older. I'm now 54, but I read Julie and Romeo when it first came out, several years ago. She's a good author!

Lynn

I don't consider myself a senior citizen, but I'm way past the 'twenty year old skinny somethings who are all wealthy' books. Give me a little more plot and substance.:)

I cracked up the first time I saw on the news that Paris Hilton came out with an autobiography... what could the kid have possibly written in it when she's a kid!:eek:

I sooo agree with you about Paris Hilton's book. Can you imagine? Well, no, probably not.

I really enjoy Jeanne Ray's books. Fun and something I can relate to by NOT being the perfect 20-something, perfect body, perfect life kind of story.

Lynn

I really enjoy Jeanne Ray's books. Fun and something I can relate to by NOT being the perfect 20-something, perfect body, perfect life kind of story.

I'll have to hunt those down too.:p

I think I vaguely recall you from an old, old post specifically titled for Alisa Allan's cruise books. Or was it another Lynn?:confused: If you're the same one, are the Jeanne Ray books on the same line? Light and easy? I have all kinds of reading taste, but the light and easy one's I like for cruising and vacationing. Just curious if they are somewhat similar as I've never heard of Jeanne Ray.

And if you are the same, and have read Alisa Allan, have you heard anything about a date for her new one? I can't find a thing anywhere!:(

Hi, BeachBumMama,

Yes, I'm sure I'm the same Lynn you're thinking of <g>. I love reading!!!

No, I haven't heard/read anything about a new book of Alisa Allan's coming out. I wish it would! I read all her others.

Right now I'm really liking Susan Wiggs' books! She sure can WRITE an involved story. Very good, if you haven't read any.

What kinds of books and authors are YOUR favorites? I'm ALWAYS looking for recommendations.

It's good to hear from you. I remember you, too!!!

Lynn

I thought your name looked familiar.:)

Right now on the top of my pile are a few by Debbie Macomber. A Good Yarn and The Shop on Blossom Street. I think I might have another from her but can't remember the name. She was recommended by a friend but I haven't read any of them yet but can't wait to start.

Oh, yes! Debbie Macomber! I love her books ... light and always a happy ending. I have the two you mentioned but haven't read them either. I love her Christmas Angels stories, ALL her Christmas books; and Thursdays at Eight and Between Frieds were very, very good! I'd highly recommend them if you like these kinds of books.

Anything really good you've read recently ... or not even recently?

Lynn