Help Fast Ss Card Question

anil099

Ok I linked a gift card to my SS card and it had about $400 in it....Now I know i didn't spend that much...bu tI have a Negative $250 balance on the gift card....now these are all Pending Charges...so my question is....theres four charges..one for $90...second for $196...and third for $300 ....I know I didn't spend 90 plus 196 plus 300...so my question is after each day does carnival put a pending charges on there...so 90 is for first day...196 for the CUMULATIVE second day...and $300 for CUMALATIVE third day?

thanks

Ok I linked a gift card to my SS card and it had about $400 in it....Now I know i didn't spend that much...bu tI have a Negative $250 balance on the gift card....now these are all Pending Charges...so my question is....theres four charges..one for $90...second for $196...and third for $300 ....I know I didn't spend 90 plus 196 plus 300...so my question is after each day does carnival put a pending charges on there...so 90 is for first day...196 for the CUMULATIVE second day...and $300 for CUMALATIVE third day?

thanks

I don't get what you mean by "gift card". I never heard of anyone being allowed to use any kind of prepaid card on a cruise.

But if you mean a debit card, and you only had $300 in the bank, yes you can be negative. They take a certain amount each day, but they don't process it back to the card the same time they take the next amount. And it takes sometimes up to 7 business days for the return of the money to the account.

Not always, but sometimes.

I just use normal credit cards/charge cards such as amex, visa and mastercard. But none of them are debit or prepaid cards.

oh and when you go negative on a debit card, you get charged fees.

Don't forget they charge the tips each day, usually $10. per person per day.

Tips are not done each day as seperate entries. Should be only one entry....usually the first day for $30, $40, $50 etc. depending on the length of your cruise.

Gift card is a new one to me. Their website states credit card/debit card (with Mastercard or Visa logo), cash or Travelers check. That being said....

From what I understand the card gets "pinged" everyday for the balance on your account. You state it got hit 3 times but only list 4 amounts??? Even so - I appears that your balance the first time was $90, you purchased $106 the next day - bringing the total to $196. The next day another..........

The card will only get the final charge. Even with that I'm not sure how you can get a negative balance on a gift card????

We just returned from the Elation and they are using a new Sail and Sign card system. They put a hold on your credit card (or debit/gift card) every 15 minutes so if you made any purchases in the prior 15 minutes, it gets held. We had a ton of trouble with this. We advised our credit card we would be travelling before we left. We used the card in Aruba and Costa Rica. We received a call from the Pursers office one night after dinner saying there was a problem with our card and they needed to run it again. Well my husband took the card down and they swiped it and said we need to hold your card until the morning so we can call the bank to straighten this out. The next morning we go down to call the bank and they can't find the card. :eek: So, I get the phone number off my card. We call the bank, they put our card on hold until we verified the charges we made in port the past several days. Well, the Pursers desk thought the card was stolen and cut up the card. :eek: I'm sure the continual holds every 15 minutes contributed to the bank putting the card on hold in the first place, but it was a huge mess. We tried to get the card replaced but the bank needed us to appear in person to request a new card. We used my credit card (same account, but different numbers on the credit card) the rest of the trip, but the new Sail and Sign system kept reverting back to my husbands old cut up card and we would get love notes when we tried to purchase things saying our account was suspended. We were at the Pursers office and on the phone with the bank more times than I can believe.

I don't know what ship you were on or if they are using the new Sail and Sign system, but from our experience, it isn't too good. :mad:

Cayce

I was on the Fascination in Jan, and when I returned there were 3 separate holds on my account. In the end, only the final hold cleared my account and the other two disappeared. I believe as you spend more and more money on the cruise Carnival puts multiple holds on debit cards. They do this probably to ensure that the money is there and you don't spend more than what you have. I'm not sure how you were able to use a gift card, but if you wait a few days the erroneous card holds may disappear.

It's not technically a gift card...its like a rewards card from my job....its basically a visa gift card...you can't withdraw cash but you can use it anywhere visa credit/debit cards are accepted...it has the 3 digit code on the back and everything...just that i dont have to pay the balance back thats why its called a gift card or rewards card...but it works just like a credit card....

Tips are not done each day as seperate entries. Should be only one entry....usually the first day for $30, $40, $50 etc. depending on the length of your cruise.

Guess it must depend which cruise line you are on then. On my last Princess cruise there was a separate entry each day for the $10.00 on each of our accounts for the sign and sail cards.

Guess it must depend which cruise line you are on then. On my last Princess cruise there was a separate entry each day for the $10.00 on each of our accounts for the sign and sail cards.

Of course different cruise lines do it differently, even the ones under the Carnival umbrella...:rolleyes:

Yes, it must vary. Carnival always charges it upfront, which is why we started pre-paying our gratuities. Hated having $200+ in charges on the account just for boarding the ship. ;)

It's not technically a gift card...its like a rewards card from my job....its basically a visa gift card...you can't withdraw cash but you can use it anywhere visa credit/debit cards are accepted...it has the 3 digit code on the back and everything...just that i dont have to pay the balance back thats why its called a gift card or rewards card...but it works just like a credit card....

I had the same thing in January and they would not take it because it did not have my name on it in raised letters like a real credit card.

So I used it in port. :D

Even with a name imprinted on a prepaid credit card-- the cruiselines wont take them.

I think that is what happening to the OP-- it got under the radar since it looked like a "real" credit card.

I know there are all kinds of reasons, but you really should use a credit card if you can... Or the best card to use is one with alot of avail credit on it, because they really do get authorizations all the time, and it reduces your line of credit fast even tho you really don't spend that much. I use my American Express Card all the time, and there is never an issue with it at all.

We just returned from the Elation and they are using a new Sail and Sign card system. They put a hold on your credit card (or debit/gift card) every 15 minutes so if you made any purchases in the prior 15 minutes, it gets held. We had a ton of trouble with this. We advised our credit card we would be travelling before we left. We used the card in Aruba and Costa Rica. We received a call from the Pursers office one night after dinner saying there was a problem with our card and they needed to run it again. Well my husband took the card down and they swiped it and said we need to hold your card until the morning so we can call the bank to straighten this out. The next morning we go down to call the bank and they can't find the card. :eek: So, I get the phone number off my card. We call the bank, they put our card on hold until we verified the charges we made in port the past several days. Well, the Pursers desk thought the card was stolen and cut up the card. :eek: I'm sure the continual holds every 15 minutes contributed to the bank putting the card on hold in the first place, but it was a huge mess. We tried to get the card replaced but the bank needed us to appear in person to request a new card. We used my credit card (same account, but different numbers on the credit card) the rest of the trip, but the new Sail and Sign system kept reverting back to my husbands old cut up card and we would get love notes when we tried to purchase things saying our account was suspended. We were at the Pursers office and on the phone with the bank more times than I can believe.

I don't know what ship you were on or if they are using the new Sail and Sign system, but from our experience, it isn't too good. :mad:

Cayce

Archived