Float plane - Misty Fjord or Other Glacier??

cruiseknotter

My cruise visits Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Strait Point.

I like to do a float plane tour to view/walk on glacier. I see good reviews about Misty Fjord from Ketchikan. I wonder if this is better than any other glacier float plane tours? The tour description says it lands for a scenic view, is it on glacier?

I did the Misty Fjord Float Plane Excursion with Island Wings last month. There are no glaciers, but the scenery is spectacular. There was still snow on some of the mountains. We saw lots of lakes, waterfalls, and some wildlife. I would highly recommend it.

Floatplanes don't land on glaciers. They land on lakes or rivers. We took the excursion (out of Juneau) to Taku Lodge on a floatplane and flew over many glaciers, landed on a river across from a glacier and had a wonderful salmon bake at the lodge. It was the highlight of our last Alaska cruise. (See pictures at the link below.) If you want to land on and walk on a glacier then you will have to take a helicopter ride.

If you wish to get on a glacier, you need to consider a glacier helicopter landing out of Juneau or Skagway, inside passage. If you have time and ability, a glacier trek out of Juneau- with Above and Beyond, has tours from the ground.

Interior Alaska there are treks 2 hours from Anchorage, you drive to, ski planes out of Talkeetna, helicopter out of Seward.

Thank you so much! That's right! Float plane lands on water, not on ice:o

I think it's amazing feeling to walk on glacier, but helicopter is just too expensive.

Instead, in Juneau, if I go to the Mandellhall glacier by bus or taxi, can I walk on glacier (of course it won't be same as helicopter landing)? I think it'll be shame just to view the glacier. I need to at least touch it!

Which one of the 2 float plane excursions would you recommend?

1. Ketchikan - to misty fjord & glacier (is this glacier view as nice as Juneau glacier view?)

2. Juneau - glacier view & taku lodge salmon bake (animal view??)

Thank you so much! That's right! Float plane lands on water, not on ice:o

I think it's amazing feeling to walk on glacier, but helicopter is just too expensive.

Instead, in Juneau, if I go to the Mandellhall glacier by bus or taxi, can I walk on glacier (of course it won't be same as helicopter landing)? I think it'll be shame just to view the glacier. I need to at least touch it!

1. Ketchikan - to misty fjord & glacier (is this glacier view as nice as Juneau glacier view?)

From the visitor center side, there is no access to the glacier. They sometimes do put ice on the stone fence. I have not done any glacier flightseeing out of Ketchikan, but that would be my choice since Misty Fjords are just fantastic scenery and with the longer flights to the glacier, would be a great scenic tour.

Taku Glacier is a short flight, but also very scenic.

I haven't been to Misty Fjords so I can't say about that but I have been to Taku Lodge and can assure you that the views on the flight are spectacular, breath-taking. We flew so low that it felt like you could touch the snow and ice. And the salmon is wonderful. We had a bear visit the site to clean up the drippings in the grill. We were less than 50 feet away from her. So exciting! The total flight time is about 45 minutes (30 there and 15 back).

We did the Helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. I believe we flew with Temco Helicopters. It was great. We landed on the Glacier and walked around for about 25 minutes. This doesn't sound long, but it was so peaceful it seemed like forever.Carol

How far in advance should you book independent excursions in Alaska? We are going in June 2008.

I've always gotten everything I've wanted a couple months ahead.

If you are looking to book tours, real early, be advised of all cancelation policies, and fully accepting of them.

Problems can arise with new visitors, finding more interesting stuff to do, then having to cancel tours then complaining about penalities. Don't jump the gun on your homework. Be certain your choices are fixed and firm- then book. Have ALL your tours picked out when booking, since conflicts can arise with finding "more" tours you want to add.

Archived