Good place to stay in NO with Teenagers

Ok we are 2 Single Moms with 5 Teenagers!!! We are going on the Fantasy July 5, we want to spend 1 or 2 nights pre-cruise in NO. Need a good place to stay in or near French Quarter or Pier, etc . We are trying to find a way not to have to drive 2 vehicles to save on gas on parking for both. I know we have to pay for parking at must hotels. Any info on any of this will be greatly appreicated(sp?)

Thanks Tina

NEXT UP FANTASY JULY 5th

Check out the Hampton Inn and Suites Convention Center. Walking distance to the pier (if you don't have too much luggage), walking distance to the mall and trolly stops. We stayed there pre-cruise because of it's location to the pier, reasonable price, good reviews and included breakfast (a real $ saver for a family:) ). We took the trolly to Jackson Square, explored the area, and walked back to the hotel. But, I don't know about parking....I think you would use the public parking lot about 1/2 block away. Check out their website and call or e-mail with your questions. They were very helpful and responsive when we were planning our trip.

Post-cruise, we stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites; closer to Bourbon Street. It also had reasonable prices, nice rooms and included breakfast, but not as good as the Hampton. They do have a parking lot but I don't know the details. If I had to pick, I'd would go with the Hampton Inn.

Note: this was all pre-hurricane so you might want to check out the latest reviews on trip advisor

Parking at the Drury was relatively cheap when I stayed there. That was a few years ago, but I think it was $15, when most other hotels charged at least $25. I remember being behind some other people checking in who were complaining about the price and thinking they obviously weren't familiar with other NO hotels.

Never stayed at the Hampton, so I can't compare the two specifically. I've stayed at Drury a couple of times and found it to be a good value for the money.

DH and I worked in New Orleans for many months post Katrina. we stayed at a variety of motels...mostly Marriott.

My favorite hotel in Marriott Courtyard on St Charles. It's one block from Canal and one block along Canal and you're on Bourbon St. No free b-fast...but there is a little b-fast restaurant just down towards Poydras...can't remember the name of it but it was cheap and plentiful and good!! They do offer a b-fast at the Courtyard but it's like $6.95 per person I think. (I'm not a b-fast person normally so I think that's steep) Parking is Valet only and it's $12/day. WE plan on staying there again in Sept before our cruise.

We stayed at an extended stay type place...it was a Marriott as well(I don't remember the name). It was on Julia at Tchoptulious I believe....Tchop and Joe's is right on the corner there....good place to grab a burger or one of their daily specials. (Monday is pot roast and it's to die for!!) I liked it because it had a little kitchen in the room. They had a "meeting" area where b-fast was served and a little dinner type thing in the evenings. I was happy to not have to cook after work...and the only grocery at the time was on the West Bank...quite a haul. Parking was next door. It was a hike to Bourbon St from there...but we did it alot. Not alot else to do when you're away from home.

We stayed at Embassy Suites...nice place but that was RIGHT after Katrina. At the time, no housekeeping and the dinners were Stoffer's type stuff. I'm SURE it's tons better now...and the armed ATF guy is probably not guarding the door. WE parked along the alley next to the motel at the time...I got 2 parking tickets in one day!! LOL

We stayed at Homewood Suites...another VERY nice place on Poydras. It had a little kitchen in it. We parked at a public parking place across the street behind it kinda.

We stayed at Country Inn and Suites...can't remember which street it's on. It was a nice place but in an old warehouse of some sort. Our room had NO WINDOW!!! Nice when you worked overnight but kinda odd. We parked at a public parking place down the block.

Pre-Katrina we stayed at the Hilton right on the river. I LOVED that place!!! Still a little hike to Bourbon St and the French Quarter but not bad. Right across the street from Harrah's. It's not far from the Shops on Canal....a mall which I would hope has more going on now than it did when we were last there.

One thing I really wish I would have had time for was...VooDoo tours in the French Quarter. Never did get around to it in the year we worked there....once it started up again anyway.

I hope this helps you out We Have 2 teens 18 and 19 we are bringing. We Heard about bookit.com in other posts on here. we booked the 3 star mystery hotel for $49 a night. Got Two rooms for 2 nights total was 229.40 after tax. After we paid they told us the hotel is The Saint Louis. Found Out Through Other Posts that it is a nice one and parking is 15 for self parking in garage. Also We are renting a minivan thru Dollar 4 $260 After Taxes. Click on local rate if they offer at your Dollar. Thanks Mike And Dana

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replys, I called my cousin who works for the Marriott and she got me a great deal (friends and family of course), so we will be staying at the Marriott Courtyard on Julie St.

Let me know if anyone know the good, bad and the ugly about this place....lol

Tina

Archived