A week in vancouver

We (my wife and I)will be in Vancouver 3rd week of August 2007 staying at the Fairmont (not waterfront one) having just come of the Rocky Mountaineer from Jasper before our cruise to Alaska

We have booked 2 nights in Victoria mid way through our week as I don't want to drive in Vancouver what tours or transport is there for us to go to Whistler for a Day trip, will hopefully do Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park, etc when there.

One more request it will be my birthday when in Vancouver needing a good restaurant for a good night out not Asian food not to bothered about price.

Might be back later on for more info nearer the time.

Thanks

Merc

Thanks for now

what tours or transport is there for us to go to Whistler for a Day trip

You could also take the Rocky Mountaineer up to Whistler from Vancouver (either one way train/bus other way, or both ways rail) http://www.rockymountaineer.com/destinations/whistler.aspx ; or you might want to go on a bus tour http://www.graylinewest.com/whistler/

Enjoy your stay in Vancouver - as well as the cruise to Alaska!

We've taken the train from Jasper to Vancouver previously and it's quite spectacular.

Dave

Dam1050

Thanks for your info, as we have also traveled from Toronto on the Canadian train (3 days)we will probably have had enough of trains, will look at the bus trip site on their tours, tried to day but due to dispute with-in the company the site is down hope dispute settled by August!!!!.

Any one with any restaurant recommendation in Vancouver

Thanks for now

merc

So many great restaurants in Vancouver to choose from! They can range from classic (William Tell if you like "old school") all the way to all the cutting edge restaurants in the Yaletown area (most of them are excellent and provide live entertainment also). One of our favorites is Rain City Grill but be warned: Seating is close together and it is normally crowded. We've also heard very good things regarding Joe Fortes and may try that next time, especially if you are a carnivore. For just plain indulgence and the corresponding price tag, try Lumiere or the Five Sails at the Pan Pacific Hotel.

For more suggestions and links to restaurant websites (and menus), try www.opentable.com and link to British Columbia. Good luck :)

Depends what you want for atmosphere.

However here is my list:

For seafood go to The Cannery on Commissioner Street wonderful location right on the harbor with a great view of the north shore mountains

For a mix of foods go to

The Stone Grill on Granville Street right on the shore of False Creek overlooking Granville Island

Luminere owned by renowed chef Rob Feenie

The above would be my choices however Vancouver has 100's of excellent restaurants.

I would skip the Salmon House on the Hill - food has gone downhill

Why don't you rent a car for a day and drive to Whistler. That way you can take your time and stop along the way as you please. it is a beautiful scenic drive with lots of view points to stop at.

The road is good and it is an easy drive.

Avis is located right beside the hotel you are staying at - use the same parking garage.

For your trip to Vancovuer Island I would check out Greyline tours.

BCHappyGal & RudderLes

good feed back will look at the link Rudderless mentioned for restaurants what you listed sounds good.

BCHappyGal don't really want to rent car in Vancouver due to being uneasy about traffic, us pensioners are slightly slower in our response especially in busy towns,saying that have booked car in Jasper for our 4 days there and 1 day in skagway for trip up the Yukon hopefully be a bit quieter in these towns, plus we drive on the other side here in the UK which will take me a bit of getting used to,have driven in the USA before but was a bit younger then

Looking forward to our 5 weeks in Canada

Merc

• 1 month later...
Why don't you rent a car for a day and drive to Whistler. That way you can take your time and stop along the way as you please. it is a beautiful scenic drive with lots of view points to stop at.

The road is good and it is an easy drive.

Avis is located right beside the hotel you are staying at - use the same parking garage.

For your trip to Vancovuer Island I would check out Greyline tours.

What is there to do in Whistler? Or you just use it as a turn around point?

thanks!

What is there to do in Whistler? Or you just use it as a turn around point?

thanks!

There are lots of things to do in Whistler: hiking, mountain biking, ziptrek tours, etc. If you are not into this sort of thing, you can always take a gondola ride up to the peak for some incredible views. There are also lots of restaurants. Whistler village can be very nice even when there are lots of posers about - you just have to ignore them.

Check out this site for more info: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/summer/index.htm

BTW, if you're planning on driving up to whistler, you may want to check out this site for road closures and traffic updates: http://projects.ch2m.com/TrafficUpdate/travelling-sts.asp

Last time we were in Vancouver, we stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle (great rooms/great view) and we had dinner at the Gotham Steakhouse (quick cab ride away.) Gotham Steakhouse was pricey, but everyone in our party decided it was worth it, food, wine, and service were exceptional... and Nickelback was eating a couple tables away. We had a nice big booth from which to gawk. ;-) If you don't mind the hefty tab, this is a wonderful place.

Archived