What cruiseline still goes to Progresso?

SuMac

Progreso was one of our favorite ports ever. Now Norweigian no longer goes there. You guys seem to be going still. So how are you getting there? Have had no luck trying to find a cruise line that does by using online searches.

Thanks a lot.

If you like to relax in a lazy town with a neat shopping bazarre, good food cheap (look for a thatched hut with restaurant sign has a ships wheel on it I think was street along the ocean), little cantinas to sit and sip a beer or 3, Progreso is your place.

Beware Merida tho. The bus drops you off in the middle of this crowded nasty scary city with rabid hawkers, single-file sidewalks down narrow streets from which you feel you may be snatched at any minute, and nasty pay toilets! Felt so sorry for the people who brought kids! We all survived it fine, but will never go back there!

Now I do understand there are other trips you can take to a nicer part of Merida with pretty scenery and a museum and zoo, but the bus that stops at the shopping bizarre is NOT the one!

Sumac. Our experiences in Merida couldn't be more different. The people are so gentle and proud of their culture and history. The city is so safe that most street cops don't even carry sidearms. Yes, some sidewalks are a bit narrow. Yet some are very wide such as out on Paseo Montejo. The many plazas (parks) are beautiful and so restful. In a total of five visits to Merida, 2 port calls and three extended land vacations, I have not for one minute felt unsafe. So different from the over touristed Cancun, Cozumel or bordertowns. Food is good as is the local beers and great coffee anywhere.

The city IS 500 years old and many bldgs date back to 1550. Merida has a great sense of "community".

BTW. The Auto Progreso bus terminal is a three block walk to the central plaza in the historical area.

El Centro.

Thanks a lot.

Beware Merida tho. The bus drops you off in the middle of this crowded nasty scary city with rabid hawkers, single-file sidewalks down narrow streets from which you feel you may be snatched at any minute, and nasty pay toilets! Felt so sorry for the people who brought kids! We all survived it fine, but will never go back there!

Now I do understand there are other trips you can take to a nicer part of Merida with pretty scenery and a museum and zoo, but the bus that stops at the shopping bizarre is NOT the one!

We can't have gone to the same place because we loved Merida and will gladly go back again! "Nasty" "scary" "rabid hawkers"!!! :eek: I mean, really. I have some beautiful pictures of the three kids we took whom, I guess miraculously, not only survived the trip but had a great time! And we took the public transportation bus from Progreso. Who knew that we were all in danger of being "snatched" by these lovely Mayans!

Everyone has a different idea of what constitutes a great port and if you want only a totally touristy place like Cozumel (which I like, too, for the snorkeling) then you won't like the real Mexico. Seems kind of sad to me but it takes all kinds to make the world.

Barb

we are going in aug and are still undecided what to do- we have a 7 dd and my dh won't really shop- and ideas would be greatly appreciated- we are already going to the ruins in costa maya with david- thanks :)

We did the ruins, Dzibuchlen sp?

Hired a taxi.it was 50.00 for 4 of us. The ruins were 6 per person. The driver waited for us to finish the ruins. It was nice. The area is very sad. We did a little shopping, the nback to the ship. We did find manuy of the same items much cheaper here than in Cozumel.

Archived