Pearl Alaska Cruise Photoshow

Trobrah

My mother and I were on the May 13 Pearl cruise to Alaska. For future cruisers or anyone else interested, I'm posting a link to my photoshow of our cruise. It was an excellent trip and I highly recommend it!

http://www.photoshow.net/sueandjay/travel

Susan

Susan and Mom looks like you both had a great time. My husband and I are on the Pearl 7/1 cruise. If you have any suggestions of things not to miss or things to do even on board please let me know. You can email me direct if you would like at teresa4323@hotmail.com.

Thanks for sharing your photo's.

Teresa:)

Beautiful pictures and beautiful slide show! It looks like you had a great time! If you were in a balcony cabin, how did you get all those delicious looking treats?

Just a week from tomorrow and we'll be on the Pearl!:)

Thanks Teresa and brunolvr. You will love the Pearl and the entire cruise! We had a great time. Make sure you go to the Cruise Critic meet and greet on the first sea day. The hotel director invited all of us to a bowling party on the last day before arriving in Victoria. It was a lot of fun - I can't bowl to begin with, and bowling at sea is a trip! Quite a few staff showed up at the CC gathering - the hotel director, assistant hotel director, CD, food and beverage director, concierge, and the group services coordinator. We really liked Simon the CD, the hotel director (who told us he reads these boards and has several screen names), and of course Alex, the concierge.

The specialty restaurants we ate at were Le Bistro, Cagneys and Mambos. All were excellent. You can only make reservations for the specialty restaurants on the day before you want to eat there and the same day you want to eat there. The reservations desk opens at 7 am. We ate at Mambos the first night, and had no problem getting in. We also ate in both main dining rooms and enjoyed them. We even ate dinner in the buffet and were pleased with it, too. On the day we cruised glacier bay, we ate lunch outside at the Great Outdoors. My photos of the Johns Hopkins glacier were taken back there. We did most of our glacier viewing from our balcony and from the promenade deck. I don't think the upper decks are good for viewing because of the high wind screens they have. You can see through them, but I wouldn't want to take photos through them. Also, there's less wind on the promenade deck, but it was still quite cold. Of course, we were on the first cruise of the season, so it will probably be warmer when you go.

We saw more whales on this cruise than I think I've seen on all my previous whale watch trips, and we saw them all from the ship. Most of them were seen right from our balcony and some were close. Of course, I never had my camera ready when that happened! But it was great. We also saw quite a few sea otters in Glacier Bay, and some porpoises that day, as well. As luck would have it, we didn't see a single whale on the whale watch excursion we took in Victoria, but I was very happy with all the whales I'd seen on the previous days.

I recommend you buy the honeymoon package. Even though I was cruising with my mother, we got it. We had chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine in our cabin upon embarkation (which was especially nice considering it was Mother's Day), and it includes dinner for 2 at Le Bistro with a bottle of wine. You also get invited to a champagne and cake party, and get a free 5x7 photo.

Brunolvr - Alex was our concierge on our last cruise, when we stayed in a suite. So, I think that's why we got some perks that you don't usually get in a regular balcony cabin. He is great, and I wish he was going to be back on the Dawn when we cruise again in October because we've booked a Romance Suite for that cruise, but I don't think we'll be so lucky.

Thanks for looking at my photos, and if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Susan

Thanks Hardel and Debbie.

Hardel - if you are thinking about taking this cruise, DO IT! You won't be sorry. My husband and I did an Alaska cruise for our honeymoon and, although it was a one-way, the itinerary was almost identical. Make sure that you book a cruise that includes Glacier Bay, as it is gorgeous, and you won't want to miss it.

Susan

Thanks Teresa and brunolvr. You will love the Pearl and the entire cruise! We had a great time. Make sure you go to the Cruise Critic meet and greet on the first sea day. The hotel director invited all of us to a bowling party on the last day before arriving in Victoria. It was a lot of fun - I can't bowl to begin with, and bowling at sea is a trip! Quite a few staff showed up at the CC gathering - the hotel director, assistant hotel director, CD, food and beverage director, concierge, and the group services coordinator. We really liked Simon the CD, the hotel director (who told us he reads these boards and has several screen names), and of course Alex, the concierge.

The specialty restaurants we ate at were Le Bistro, Cagneys and Mambos. All were excellent. You can only make reservations for the specialty restaurants on the day before you want to eat there and the same day you want to eat there. The reservations desk opens at 7 am. We ate at Mambos the first night, and had no problem getting in. We also ate in both main dining rooms and enjoyed them. We even ate dinner in the buffet and were pleased with it, too. On the day we cruised glacier bay, we ate lunch outside at the Great Outdoors. My photos of the Johns Hopkins glacier were taken back there. We did most of our glacier viewing from our balcony and from the promenade deck. I don't think the upper decks are good for viewing because of the high wind screens they have. You can see through them, but I wouldn't want to take photos through them. Also, there's less wind on the promenade deck, but it was still quite cold. Of course, we were on the first cruise of the season, so it will probably be warmer when you go.

We saw more whales on this cruise than I think I've seen on all my previous whale watch trips, and we saw them all from the ship. Most of them were seen right from our balcony and some were close. Of course, I never had my camera ready when that happened! But it was great. We also saw quite a few sea otters in Glacier Bay, and some porpoises that day, as well. As luck would have it, we didn't see a single whale on the whale watch excursion we took in Victoria, but I was very happy with all the whales I'd seen on the previous days.

I recommend you buy the honeymoon package. Even though I was cruising with my mother, we got it. We had chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine in our cabin upon embarkation (which was especially nice considering it was Mother's Day), and it includes dinner for 2 at Le Bistro with a bottle of wine. You also get invited to a champagne and cake party, and get a free 5x7 photo.

Brunolvr - Alex was our concierge on our last cruise, when we stayed in a suite. So, I think that's why we got some perks that you don't usually get in a regular balcony cabin. He is great, and I wish he was going to be back on the Dawn when we cruise again in October because we've booked a Romance Suite for that cruise, but I don't think we'll be so lucky.

Thanks for looking at my photos, and if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Susan

Susan, do you remember who the Food & Beverage Director was on the Pearl this year? Last year on the Star it was Andre Paez and we were invited to have dinner with him which was absolutely wonderful!

For our cruise on June 17th, we got an upsell to a Deluxe Owner's Suite, so I'm sure we'll enjoy all of the VIP treatment! Alex is fabulous -- he was our concierge last year on the Star to Alaska.

Thanks again for sharing your pictures and for the great review and info!:)

Thanks everyone.

Brunolvr - the F&B Director on the Pearl is Mirsad Bucuk (at least as of May 20).

OceanDreaming2 - I'm not comfortable posting anyone's email address on the boards, but if you send me an email at Trobrah@aol.com I'll give it to you.

Susan

For our cruise on June 17th, we got an upsell to a Deluxe Owner's Suite, so I'm sure we'll enjoy all of the VIP treatment! Alex is fabulous -- he was our concierge last year on the Star to Alaska.

Hi brunolvr,

we were so sorry that we couldn't take a picture of your cabin as promised but now we're really glad about your upsell: Here are your promised cabin pics: http://alaska07.sellie.de

And a short movie about the "new" crew: http://sellies.cruisevideos.de/PearlOfficers.htm

Please say Hello to Alex and we're really sorry that we missed him to say thank you and good bye. He is the Best!!!

And if you're staying on deck 9 you'll love your butler Amit. He's so fantastic!!!

Thanks,

Petra & Joerg

Hi brunolvr,

we were so sorry that we couldn't take a picture of your cabin as promised but now we're really glad about your upsell: Here are your promised cabin pics: http://alaska07.sellie.de

And a short movie about the "new" crew: http://sellies.cruisevideos.de/PearlOfficers.htm

Please say Hello to Alex and we're really sorry that we missed him to say thank you and good bye. He is the Best!!!

And if you're staying on deck 9 you'll love your butler Amit. He's so fantastic!!!

Thanks,

Petra & Joerg

Thanks Petra & Joerg for all the help (and music) you've provided me over the past few months.

I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures--what's that??? Blue sky in Ketchikan??? I don't think I've ever seen it that beautiful in Ketchikan! Who (or where) were those cute dogs looking out of a window? Did they have sunglasses on?

With the upsell now we're on Deck 15 instead of 9 so I'm not sure who our butler will be. I also heard a new Captain came onboard for this last cruise which left on the 10th.

How did you like the AC cabin on the front of the ship? Were you able to use the front balcony very much or was it just too windy?

Everything looks beautiful and I'm getting really excited as we leave in just 4 days!:D Time to get packing! -Sandy-

Hi Sandy,

I missed the word "deluxe" ... we stayed in the Owner suite 9004. Sometimes the winds are really strong on that front balcony. We always had to shut the second door, too. The normal one wasn't enough for that storm. But we were lucky to have a second balcony on the side :cool:

I took some pics of the deluxe OS during the TA: http://usa06.sellie.de/12.12.2006/thumbpage1.html

We'll keep our fings crossed that you'll be able to enjoy your outdoor jacuzzi.

We saw the dogs with sunglasses on our straight way from the ship to Creek street on second floor.

This was our second time in Ketchikan and both times we such great weather!!!

Trobrah,

Loved your pics. We will be on the Pearl for the 9/16 sailing and can hardly wait. This pics you have of the seals (?) on the buoy and the lighthouse, did you take a tour and see those? I hope we get lucky and see some whales from the ship this year, too. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Hi Sandy,

I missed the word "deluxe" ... we stayed in the Owner suite 9004. Sometimes the winds are really strong on that front balcony. We always had to shut the second door, too. The normal one wasn't enough for that storm. But we were lucky to have a second balcony on the side :cool:

I took some pics of the deluxe OS during the TA: http://usa06.sellie.de/12.12.2006/thumbpage1.html

We'll keep our fings crossed that you'll be able to enjoy your outdoor jacuzzi.

We saw the dogs with sunglasses on our straight way from the ship to Creek street on second floor.

This was our second time in Ketchikan and both times we such great weather!!!

Yes, I saw your pictures of the Deluxe Owner's Suite on the transatlantic-- very nice!!!! We'll be in 15500 with the balcony on the port side. Come rain or shine or whatever, we WILL enjoy our private jacuzzi! Nothing will stop us (except maybe a hurricane!)!

Cute dogs! You appear to also be a dog lover! -Sandy-

• 4 years later...
My mother and I were on the May 13 Pearl cruise to Alaska. For future cruisers or anyone else interested, I'm posting a link to my photoshow of our cruise. It was an excellent trip and I highly recommend it!

http://www.photoshow.net/sueandjay/travel

Susan

Thank You so much for the beautiful photos you posted of the Alaska trip! We are going on the pearl in Sept and your photos make me look forward to it that much more! Keep them coming! Do you mind me asking what camera and lens you used?

Archived