Balcony Decorations

crusing in ky

I read somewhere (think it was on the 'cruise rituals' board on here) that one person had take those colored little penant flags & hung them from their balcony. You know the kind that are all attached in a long line & sometimes they put them out front of a store for 'grand opening'? Thought that was a cute idea, as the person said they could then spot their balcony from shore easily.

I haven't done it myself though. But I am going to mildly decorate our cabin door this time! Just going to put "Sharon & Paul's Cabin" & put a few pics of us underneath. Also will stick a small post-it note pad to the door (using that fun tacky stuff) & a pen on a string. Then if me & DH want to leave notes for each other or friends (or visa versa) we can leave them on there.

I think if I decorated our balcony too, or went too overboard on the door then my DH would throw a fit. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

~Sharon~

I have a couple of those 3 dimensional shiny fish and tropical items that have a string on them and I hange them in the window or balcony door. It is nice to spot your room from the pier or tender. Plus, it just makes the room festive. I have a couple other tropical items for inside the room.

I started quite by accident. Our first cruise was our 25th anniversary and I didn't know about ordering room decorations so I brought my own. We liked

it so much that I have taken the same ones (except the 25th anniversary ones) on every cruise. :)

Ditto what STL says-- on the outside of the balcony with lights-- no-no

It has something to do with the way the lights are on the ship is to let the ships behind know their places. Add more lights to the mix and it can be confusing. Now regular decorations are good--we decorate with flags. (a palm tree) just not lights. (the cabin steward will more then likely remove them.

I bought a package of different colored punchballs at Walmart. I blew one up at a time and hung it on the balcony with the large rubber band that came with the balls. Since the ball would begin to deflate after two days, I would take one down and blow up another. We had an aft wraparound and it was a great way to spot our balcony when we were in port.

Decorative lights are considered a 'no-no' on the exterior of the balcony or in the windows which can be seen from the outside of the ship..

Its a 'navigational' thing... :eek:

IM glad I read your thread stirboo,

I planned on decorating my balcony with lights on the Conquest July 05.

I never gave a thought about it being a "no-no"

Thank you!

Hey there... I don't want to turn this into the "Kentucky" thread... but I just had to say Hello. I'm originally from Corbin too... but now live in Connecticut. I'm miss my "Old Kentucky Home" though.

We are cruising on Glory in April... and I'm hoping to come up with some cool cabin/door/balcony decorating ideas too. We will have a large group (of mostly Kentucky folk) with us on the cruise... and we wanted to have a door decorating competition... just to make the cruise even more fun than what it already is.

I'm loving all the ideas that I've found on the boards already... Keep them coming.

Hello neighbor...I'm from Kentucky too!!

Hey I went on the Fantasy the first year it sailed (12 yrs ago) It was a beautiful ship. If they offer a tour of the kitchen take it it was amazing howmany people and how efficent they worked.

Rudgie99:)

Miracle 4/05

rudgie99...we loved the Fantasy, but unfortunately missed the galley tour, hopefully it will be offered on my upcoming cruise on the Sensation and i will be sure to take the tour....thanks for mentioning it to me...

Mikxoc...small world isnt it? If you havent been here in a while, you would be simply amazed at how the town is growing...we now have two restuarants that are allowed to serve alcohol!!!

Posted this in the 'cruise rituals' board, but thought I would also post it here as it seems appropriate. I have never done door decorations before, or seen them (on the 2 HAL cruises we took) but they look fun, so I made one for our next cruise:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v415/NJsharon/

Hopefully if you click on the thumbnails they will come up larger, so you can see better. I'm going to stick the 2 lilac ribbon bows on when we get there, otherwise I think they'll get smushed, but the rest is all stuck down. Then I'll just stick the whole page onto our door with that 'fun tacky' stuff I bought. :)

~Sharon~

I have never done door decorations before, or seen them (on the 2 HAL cruises we took)
There's a *lot* of door decorations on HAL, mostly red diamond-shaped signs that say "Oxygen in Use." :eek:

I always decorate my cabin door. Late at night, stumbling down the hall, all the doors look the same and for some reason, the numbers seem fuzzy?? I usually make some type of poster with bright colored pictures (remember the fuzzy thing). I have not decorated my balcony but have seen others that were. Perhaps I will on my next cruise. I think battery operated twinkle lights would be nice.

tef, remember what I said about those fuzzy numbers.....how will I ever read a GPS? The Vampires will have to figure out something better. Maybe OnStar will be available by then? I think I can follow verbal instructions....well, maybe not. I do sometimes have problems with rights & lefts.......

O.K., I'll forget the twinkle lights on the balcony and put them on the door instead. Yes, tef, sometimes I might have a little difficulty find the balcony and when I find it, there is always trouble opening the door....can't remember if you pull or push....why does that always happen?:p

Archived