Princess--Alaska formal wear ?

jessinphilly

Hi. Need to ask this one last time before we leave for our vacation. We will be on the Island Princess, but our trip will be 4 weeks from start to finish. Dh really does not have enough room to pack a suit and blazer and slacks, but thinks the latter will be more useful overall. If he takes very nice grey slacks, nice shirt and tie and navy blazer will he be allowed in the dining room (anytime dining) on the formal nights? He is comfortable that he will look nice, but concerned about being let in. Thanks.

We just returned from the Sapphire Princess and there were plenty of people in in sports jacket without tie. There were even people in jeans. I have never seen anyone not allowed in the ballroom. If I had it to do again, I would have left the tux at home!

Larry

The blazer, jacket and tie will be fine for formal nights in Alaska, as well as the fact that he could probably wear the blazer on one or two other evenings with a sport shirt. My dh was glad that he had the sport jacket since we liked to step out on deck to get a breath of fresh air after dinner and the air was chilly. Also, the dining rooms on Princess tend to be cool, even my dh complains about it, and he is never cold.

Blazer, slacks, dress shirt and tie will work on formal night. We recently returned from 3 b2b on the Sapphire, 2 of those Alaska cruises. There was plenty of "dressing up", but also pretty much farily casual attire.

And while LarryF did not see people being denied access to the dining rooms while wearing jeans for dinner, I did see that on several evenings. Certainly, jeans for breakfast and lunch were fine.

The first night and last night, jeans were "permitted" in the dining rooms. I guess with Alaska there are a lot of passengers coming in from land tours, or leaving the next morning for land tours.

Have a fantastic cruise - Alaska is magnificent!

OK, I know this issue has been hashed and rehashed, but I need clarification. My DH and I have only been on 2 cruises, both on NCL and both to the Caribbean. Neither of us is big on "dressing up" but we want to comply with Princess' rules. He will absolutely not even consider renting a tux, but he will bring a sport jacket and tie. I'm working on getting him to bring a suit, but that's iffy and I'm running out of time. Will he be looked down upon if he wears that into the dining room (twice)? We are signed up for anytime dining. :confused:

OK, I know this issue has been hashed and rehashed, but I need clarification. My DH and I have only been on 2 cruises, both on NCL and both to the Caribbean. Neither of us is big on "dressing up" but we want to comply with Princess' rules. He will absolutely not even consider renting a tux, but he will bring a sport jacket and tie. I'm working on getting him to bring a suit, but that's iffy and I'm running out of time. Will he be looked down upon if he wears that into the dining room (twice)? We are signed up for anytime dining. :confused:

He should be fine with what you describe.

Will he be looked down upon if he wears that into the dining room (twice)? We are signed up for anytime dining. :confused:

I anyone does look down on him tell him to stand taller and look down on THEM! He should be fine in what you are considering. Remember, though, that there will be some people there in tuxes but there will be more people in suits or sports coats. My husband brought a suit with 2 shirts and ties for variety. There will be just as big a range in ladies' attire - everything from "church" clothes to long formals. And there will be those who come in jeans but I would not recommend that.

My trip a few weeks ago felt noticeably more formal than my Caribbean cruise.

That said, any jacket and tie will be enough for formal night. I wore the same suit. Just changed shirts and tie. Doubt anyone noticed. If you're wearing some kind of jacket and some kind of tie, you'll blend right in.

Archived