Chicago to Galveston?

hockeymom97

Anyone have experience flying from Chicago (ORD, MDW or MKE) down to Galveston? When comparing cruises and looking for airfare it seems more expensive / complicated to get down to TX than to FL. I would think it would have been the other way around. Anyone have any advice on airlines, best time to book, what airport to fly into, etc?

I'm assuming you know that you will have to fly into Houston. After that the first rule is, if AT ALL POSSIBLE, to fly into Houston Hobby Airport (HOU). Should have lots of choices on Southwest coming from Chicago into Hobby and it is significantly closer to Galveston than the larger, Bush Airport (IAH). The cruise terminal in Galveston is an easy hour's drive (depending on traffic) straight south on I-45 from Hobby Airport.

• 2 months later...
Anyone have experience flying from Chicago (ORD, MDW or MKE) down to Galveston? When comparing cruises and looking for airfare it seems more expensive / complicated to get down to TX than to FL. I would think it would have been the other way around. Anyone have any advice on airlines, best time to book, what airport to fly into, etc?

Not sure whether you are still interested but my DSIS just booked 2 one way fares on Southwest for $494.60 (2pax) on Feb 23,08 from Midway to Houston Hobby and back. (Actually it was really cheap $99 + tax to Houston and then like $135 + tax back to Chicago) Not sure what your time frame is but we were pretty happy with the fare. I'm pretty sure she booked directly through Southwest.

Archived