**"Live" from the Sunny Sapphire Princess in Alaska

Host Caroline

We docked in Ketchikan northbound the week of May 19, and tendered southbound the week of May 26. The tendering was in the morning, the ship docked about 1 in the afternoon after another Princess ship departed.

The tender ride is a very short one. Yes, it takes some time to get on and off the tender as opposed to walking off the ship onto the pier, but is still is quite quick.

So the question was (let's see how smart you all are without Google:p ): On what ship was "Baywatch, Thunder in Glacier Bay" filmed? If you know when the "winning ship" came out you will have a good idea... I never watched the show ... so didn't "cheat"...

Bonus Question: Which real Princess employee was featured in that episode?

I hope you are playing trivia using Cruise Critic "Full Contact Trivia" rules.

lots of luggage hassles with people who flew out day before etc... please remember to give yourself 2 days from east coast AND to pack a change of clothes for everyone in carryons.

Rats, I lost my message to you after composing it. We are on the Sapphinre a week from Saturday and arrive in Anchorage 1:30 AM Saturday, go to hotel, sleep 6-7 hours and take shuttle to ship. From Ohio we fly on three different planes with a layover in Atlanta and Los Angeles (isn't that stupid?).

I have little confidence that my baggage will arrive with me in Anchorage. If it misses our sailing, will it catch up with us during the cruise, or at all?

When we disembark in Vancouver we need to catch a taxi to take us to the Greyhound bus terminal about five block from the ship, are there taxis around where we disembark? We are going to visit friends in Seattle for a few days.

....Ott

RE: full contact trivia.... well let's just say we keep moving away from our closest opponents who kidnapped our college guy one day during trivia while everyone was ashore.. we have (DH and I) 35 "tokens" for prizes .. three more rounds today....

and.... no.. dang it.. I do not remember who the "real" employee was? Was it someone like Paul O'D the the CD or John Lawrence (I think that was after he started doing mostly the Med though???)... fess up please:)

NOW... re cruise

As usual it was sunny and 70s in both Juneau and Ketchikan so I now have 8 pictures of me in sun at the rain gauge in Ketchikan.. glorious day for kayaking.. did Pennock Cover with Southeast Kayaks and the paddle acrsoss the main channel dodging floatplanes and boats was interesting but water at least calm. Lots of eagles on Gravina on opposite side of channel which put DH into wildlife heaven:rolleyes: ..

Whale watching was phenomenal in Juneau.. early trip with Capt Larry... Mom humpback and calf feeding near NOA center... she breached, several times.. calf was practicing tail flaps and then another later on past the famous "buoy" .... all in all ex. for very very low cloud deck in Gla Bay and coming down White Pass by road.. a phenomenal week of weather again... As I may have said (?).. for people just coming up here once perhaps the Best of Skagway tour of ship is really excellent... and I've done all of the things on it separately at one time or the other and still wasn't bored..well who could be with the scenery though????

Vancouver Gray LINe is on strike again so out pre-airport tour was cancelled and there are "cab issues" as well with same strike etc.

To whomever posted re cab to Greyhound if you can switch to Quick Coach I recommend doing that and going to Seattle straight from ship and ... they are being pretty strict about issuing the luggage colors by post-cruise arrangements.. We did not get to use "Easy Check" aka "US Direct" bec. that closed Tuesday 9:00 pm and Drivers in Vancouver started slow downs on Wednesday... but at least w/ Princess transfer ($18) to airport we still don't have so schlep luggage off ship.. it goes by bus separately and we claim at airport to check in.. not as convenient as Easy Check but I'll take it!

There are only 19 Elite members onboard and maybe 65-70 Platinum... so obviously the "heavy hitter" cruisers don't take this itin...Private cocktail party in Wakeview was nice bec. really got to meet the officers etc.. the Captain is a hoot.. We retook our picture so both of our "girths" shall we say were more at an angle!! :eek: Name is Capt. Guerrini.. he and staff captain are about the ship quite a bit... don't even know who CD is .. maybe Neal something.

We booked a SeaPrincess Canada/New England for Oct. 08 from Quebec south that my TA can't book bec. its being booked only thru UK but you can book onboard... interesting...

Beautiful sunny calm sea day in 60s... we head into Seymour Narrows late this afternoon for one more "fix" of this marvelous scenery until the "big move" in 2009 probably.. then you will have a host who lives in Alaska more than likely...:)

P.S.... the Holland America naturalist, Dirk, whom I've met before with Capt Larry ("moonlighting" as a shore side naturalist)... really plugged CC while doing his narration as a place to get really good Alaska info.. that he regularly reads etc. etc... which I thought was kinda interesting....

Caroline,

Sounds like you are having a super cruise. You are the lucky weather lady!! You are moving to Alaska? That's great. We leave Sunday for sunny, and ugh hot and humid Hawaii. We are excited. Joel more about Hawaii and me about 9 sea days. Have a safe trip home.

Judy

RE: full contact trivia.... well let's just say we keep moving away from our closest opponents who kidnapped our college guy one day during trivia while everyone was ashore.. we have (DH and I) 35 "tokens" for prizes .. three more rounds today....

and.... no.. dang it.. I do not remember who the "real" employee was? Was it someone like Paul O'D the the CD or John Lawrence (I think that was after he started doing mostly the Med though???)... fess up please:)

Billy Hygate, who was CD when we sailed on Sea Princess a few years later. One of the in-cabin channels played "Thunder in Glacier Bay" over and over and over. He was featured in the episode.

Archived