Inside Italian Churches and Cathedrals

In Mid-July, what’s it like inside churches and cathedrals? I mean the temperature. I doubt that they are air conditioned, yet being made of so much stone, and with high ceilings, I’m thinking that they are not too terribly hot inside, but would appreciate some feedback from those that have been.

Thanks,

They are actually quite cool. I've been in April and in late June when it was mid to high 80s outside. I've never been uncomfortable inside a cathedral in Italy including St. Peters, St. Marks in Venice and The Duomo in Florence.

You'll need a shawl, sweater, scarf or something similar for entering any Italian cathedral, Duomo, basilica and not just for the rules of etiquette, but because they are, as you rightly mentioned, cooler than the outdoor temperature. Especially so if you plan to visit the crypt or downstairs area where often important people have been buried. Also the catacombs are best visited in hot humid weather (July, August) since their temperatures remain constant thus they are relatively cool and comfortable in the summer heat.

Archived