San Pedro, how far?

arubacassie

I don't know if you got this answered yet, so I will give it a shot.

It is about 32 miles from San Pedro up to Universal Studios. Probably about a 45 minutes. Then it is about 25 miles or so back to LAX, by different route. Check mapquest.

San Pedro to Universal City and Universal City to LAX.

• 1 month later...

We also are wondering if we'd have enough time getting off the Pearl, catching a cab or van to Universal. Universal closes at 6p.m. the day we arrive in San Pedro. Hmmmmmmmmm? We're in a Courtyard Villa Suite, so hoping we can get off ship early?

Getting off the ship is easy. Just jump. :)

However, Splinter is correct. For less than the cost of a taxi (one way) you can rent a car and have a place to store your luggage. There is an Enterprise rental office across the street from the pier in San Pedro. The office is open in the morning only on Saturday and not at all on Sunday. Normal business hours Monday through Friday. Check with Enterprise regarding picking up a car in San Pedro and dropping it off at LAX.

We were actually thinking of staying at a hotel in Universal, then catching another cab to LAX next morning to catch our flight at 1 p.m. Noticed there will be 3 ships in the morning we arrive at San Pedro. Wondering if we will have enough time to get off ship......drop off luggage at hotel in Universal, and have enough time there for 6p.m. closing at park? Renting car is out of the question as were 2 females traveling with 2 teen girls and don't know LA.

great question as I am thinking the same thing. Except we arrive on a Thurs. and our flight isn't until 4 pm, not sure what to do to kill time. There is 8 of us! Any suggestions?

Here, once again, the question is, what do you do with your luggage? The best advise is to rent a car (or in this case a van). Then you can drive over the bridge and visit the Aquarium of the Pacific ...

LAharborarea.jpg

LongBeachaerial.jpg

The Aquarium of the Pacific is in the upper left of the photo just above. Here are some photos I took at the Aquarium of the Pacific (note - the photos are all from days that I was testing a waterproof camera) ...

You can pet the bat rays ...

IMGP0051.jpg

You can pet some of the smaller sharks ...

IMGP0073.jpg

There are bigger sharks that you cannot pet. There are also other fish and seals ...

IMGP0062.jpg

It is a good place to spend a few hours, and then you can walk along Shoreline Park if you want. If you do, you might see this ...

IMGP0149.jpg

That is the original Queen Mary and the Carnival Pride.

Long Beach will be a more direct and easier location to get to from the port than will Universal City (which will involve going up the almost always crowded 405 to the 101 freeways). If you were staying more than a day, and you were gung ho on Universal, that's one thing. If you go down to Long Beach, on the other hand, it'll be a quick taxi drive and there's the Aquarium and some other places to visit (if you can figure out what to do with your luggage).

Long Beach will be a more direct and easier location to get to from the port than will Universal City (which will involve going up the almost always crowded 405 to the 101 freeways). If you were staying more than a day' date=' and you were gung ho on Universal, that's one thing. If you go down to Long Beach, on the other hand, it'll be a quick taxi drive and there's the Aquarium and some other places to visit (if you can figure out what to do with your luggage).[/quote']

To get to Universal Studios from the port, I would recommend going north on the 110 Harbor Freeway to the 101 Hollywood Freeway north to Universal Studios. That way you get to avoid the 405 San Diego Parking Lot.

But you have to luck out that the Hollywood freeway isn't packed.

Packed? Is the Hollywood Freeway going on a cruise also? :)

I've been on both the Hollywood Freeway and the San Diego Freeway. I would rather take my chances on the Hollywood Freeway.

Archived