Hamilton hotel stay combined with cruise

aesla11

We are in the cruise leaving the eight of September and have a royal suite. As the reviews are not highly appealing, I was considering staying at a local hotel in Hamilton (?Elbow Beach) for two nights while there. My thought was that we could actually enjoy bermuda a bit better and have a location in the beach for my three year old son to enjoy at least for a couple of days. Also discovering the island may be more convinient.

Thanks for all your ideas in advance

We did something similar to what you are talking about when we did a Med Cruise several years ago. We were to be in the port of Civitavechia (sp?) for a day in Rome and then the next day the port of Livorna (sp?) for a day in Florence. Instead of coming back to the ship from Rome, we stayed in Rome until around 6 PM - took the train to Florence where we had a hotel booked. Got into Florence around 7:30 PM. It was still early enough to check out the town as all the "day trippers" had left. The next morning we got up early and had the town to ourselves until around 10 AM when, again, all the tourists showed up. We took the 3 PM train back to the port town and got back on the ship. I know we saw more of Rome and Florence and was fun riding the trains. We cleared it first with Guest Relations who had us fill out some forms so they wouldn't be looking for us when we didn't return that first night.

We are in the cruise leaving the eight of September and have a royal suite. As the reviews are not highly appealing, I was considering staying at a local hotel in Hamilton (?Elbow Beach) for two nights while there. My thought was that we could actually enjoy bermuda a bit better and have a location in the beach for my three year old son to enjoy at least for a couple of days. Also discovering the island may be more convinient.

Why bother taking the cruise then? Just fly to Bermuda and stay at the hotel.

I did exactly what you are talking about in 2001. We took a cruise from Baltimore and disembarked the ship for three nights. We stayed at "The Reefs" and it was great. I highly recommend it. They have babysitting available and there is a playground at the adjacent hotel (Sonesta Resort, I believe it is called). The Reefs has all sorts of accomodations. We had a suite with a sunken living area, bedroom and HUGE bathroom. The balcony was wonderful to sit on and drink in the view of the turquoise water and flowers. We had room service breakfast each day and then did the lunch/dinner meal plan. The food was fantastic. Better than anything you'll get on the ship. It was a wonderful experience. Someday, I want to go back with a sweetheart. I'm divorced, so not the sort of place I want to go solo. That's why I cruise- great for singles.

A cruise will be a bit boring for the three year old on Azamara. I agree with the previous poster that it makes more financial sense to just fly there and stay for a few days (5 is plenty).

We had a Royal Suite as Well, hope you have Lyric as your Butler, what a gem that person was.

Elbow beach Resort is excellent but also consider The Reefs just down the road a bit.

I don't think you could go wrong with either but The Reefs would be my persoanl suggestion.

Have fun on your cruise!!!

-Jim

Morris County, NJ

We had a Royal Suite as Well, hope you have Lyric as your Butler, what a gem that person was.

Elbow beach Resort is excellent but also consider The Reefs just down the road a bit.

I don't think you could go wrong with either but The Reefs would be my persoanl suggestion.

Have fun on your cruise!!!

-Jim

Morris County, NJ

Thanks Jim

Having cruised in a suite, would you consider staying in a hotel in Bermuda? It seems as if most people have not had a great experience with the ship.

Thanks,

Alan

Thanks Jim

Having cruised in a suite, would you consider staying in a hotel in Bermuda? It seems as if most people have not had a great experience with the ship.

Thanks,

Alan

Hey Alan!

We're going to do just that.

The Azamara was our third cruise to Bermuda so given that, we decided to return and stay a few days right at the Reefs in February. Yup, it will be a little chilly but the place will be QUIET with some nice sunshine.

We've stayed in the hotels for a night or two (during a cruise) just to check 'em out and found the Elbow Beach resort and the The Reefs to be to our liking. Teh Princess properties (Hamilton and Hampton) are nice too but a little touristy for our taste.

:)

This seems like a huge waste of money to me. You can get to the beaches or anything else you want to see in Bermuda very easily by bus/ferry or cab. Your three year old would probably even enjoy a ferry or bus ride. I also think that being in St. George's and Hamilton are more central locations and make sightseeing more convenient then staying in a hotel on a beach.

If you are that unhappy with the reviews of the ship, then why not cancel the cruise and book a land vacation instead? I am sailing the week before you, so I know you haven't made final payment yet.

This seems like a huge waste of money to me. You can get to the beaches or anything else you want to see in Bermuda very easily by bus/ferry or cab. Your three year old would probably even enjoy a ferry or bus ride. I also think that being in St. George's and Hamilton are more central locations and make sightseeing more convenient then staying in a hotel on a beach.

If you are that unhappy with the reviews of the ship, then why not cancel the cruise and book a land vacation instead? I am sailing the week before you, so I know you haven't made final payment yet.

I am sailing the following week and my TA took final payment from me already. So you do not KNOW that they have not made final payment.

The more recent reviews have been a great deal more positive. I would not book that hotel quite yet.:)

I am sailing the following week and my TA took final payment from me already. So you do not KNOW that they have not made final payment.

The more recent reviews have been a great deal more positive. I would not book that hotel quite yet.:)

Your TA may have took it but it was not due yet. I am sailing Sept 1. and my final payment is due 6/23.

Archived