Best snorkeling in Grand Cayman on my own?

hkolln

We are renting a car in Grand Cayman and want to drive the island ourselves, visit possibly Bodden Town, the blowholes, and Rum Point. Is Rum Point a good place to snorkel at? If not, where do you recommend? We'll have the car all day so we can pretty much stop anywhere.

Thanks!

Rum Point is an OK place to snorkel. There really isn't any reef there but it is very shallow waters and there's always a good chance of seeing some Southern Sting Rays. But it is a nice destination if you have the time and they make a mean mud slide at the beach bar. Plus there's some nice hammocks to lounge around in. Just remember that Rum Point is at least a 40-60 minute car ride from GT... make sure you leave plenty of time to get back! You can hit some mean traffic so give yourselves plenty of time.

You can stop off at Bodden Town. Again, very shallow waters (maybe 4 ft?) but there is some coral and loads of turtle grass where the cute little baby stuff hangs out.

I would recommend stopping at Cemetary Reef located on 7 Mile Beach. Dense coral located off the beach with loads of fish. Also don't miss Smith Cove located about 1/4 mile North of the cruise ship area. Excellent snorkelling with lots of cool stuff right off the beach area.

Have fun!

I agree with Cemetary Beach but I need to add Smiths Cove we were there in July and loved it. Also Rum Point is worth checking out, we had an excellent day there, we also rented a vehicle. The Blow Holes are on the way and should be visited as well.

Enjoy :)

Archived