Formal Night Question

Eytbol8

Quick question. I want to experience at least one of the formal nights on our 7-day Princess Mexican Riviera cruise. My husband is disabled and confined to a wheelchair. Due to his disability, he has difficulty wearing a jacket. Is a jacket a MUST have? Do you think they would be able to make an exception for him w/o a jacket? We can always eat at the buffet or one of the fee for dining areas if it is. I have read the battles on this topic on the main Princess forum and I am really not trying to make this one of those battling threads. I just wanted a little guidance. Thanks in advance for readind and responding. :o

Just my opinion, but anyone who would have a problem with your husband not wearing a jacket, should be ashamed of themselves. Nice dress shirt and tie and he'll be fine, don't miss out on the formal night experience because of this. Go and have a wonderful night. Have a great cruise!

Options include a nice turtleneck (silk is very nice) with nice slacks, or a waiter type jacket if wearing a longer jacket is the problem. Men look so nice in a tux or dinner jacket though... If he is going to wear just a shirt and tie, I would recommend dark blue or black instead of white as it looks more dressy.

I know this is a bit off topic, but we have the same situation here. Having a very hard time finding "nice slacks" for my DH who is wheelchair-bound. Regular ones just bunch up in the front and look...wrong. :eek:

We went to a tailor to see about having regular pants altered to look/fit right for someone who only sits, but they just looked at us funny and said they didn't know what to do. :rolleyes:

There used to be a company online that sold "wheelchair pants" but they've since gone out of business. If anyone has info on where we can buy nice looking pants for a wheelchair-bound gentleman, we would be very grateful if you'd pass that along to us.

Thank you.

Three Rings, oh my gosh - I know exactly what you are talking about. My husband is stressing a little about the whole thing actually. You are absolutely right, slacks look just so wrong :eek: on my husband as well because of the way they bunch up and are so extremely uncomfortable for him. He usually wear black designer type jeans to all formal events with a nice black button up, etc. - they don't look like jeans at all - but are made of similar jean material, they look dressy - especially when he sits on them. That place you are talking about that sold wheelchair bound slacks did go out of business and we have not been able to find another place. He can't really get a jacket on and when we are able to get it on, it sounds weird to say, but he feels Claustrophobic in it. I am hoping they make an exception for us - as I will be dressed up. If not, we are off to the for fee places - or even the buffet. We just really don't want to miss out on at least one of the formal nights.

Thanks to all the others that have replied as well.

My husband & I have cruised alot. He is confined to a wheelchair. For formal nights he wears a dressy sweater, he gets cold on the ships. He doesn't even own a tie anymore. As for pants, we gave up looking a long time ago. He has been injured for 22 years. I sew his pants, and the only thing he wears is fleece material. He has several black pairs, that pared with a nice sweater and good shoes looks very handsome and we have never had any issues.

Let him go in what he feels comfortable in. In the past I have dressed up but not this year. I am wearing slacks and and a dress shirt with no tie and I am an AB person with the exception of real bad artritis. I have come to that point in my life where "dressing to impress" is no longer important as long as I am having a good time. I know nobody is going to come up to me and say anything about how I am dressed, at least if they don't want a reply back, and when I get off of the ship, how many of them are ever going to see me again. His comfort zone is what should be important.

Another suggestion - would he be comfortable in a nice looking vest?

That with a lovely ties should dress him up and hopefully still be comfortable.

Like the idea of a dark shirt also.

I used to stress over not being able to wear high heels when I was able

to use crutches. Now that I use a power wheelchair - I don't give my

flat shoes a second thought!

NEVER let other people's ignorance stop you from doing something you want to do. If you and hubby want to go to formal night and he can't wear a jacket then you just go without the jacket. He'll look wonderful, you will be beautiful and all the other people can just bite me if they have an issue with that.

Have a wonderful time on your trip, take lots of pictures, make wonderful memories and enjoy each other. That's what cruising is about. :)

Yes, unfortunately Rolli-Moden USA went out of business. They are still in Germany though.

USA Jeans makes wheelchair slacks in a variety of fabrics (not just denim).

Here is another couple of resources for wheelchair customized slacks: http://www.anitavee.com/pants.html

http://www.adaptationsbyadrian.com/

If your tailor doesn't know how to alter slacks for a sitting position, try a different tailor. I know many of the national and local officers for the PVA, and they all get their suits (which they wear daily) altered to take care of this problem, and they don't all use the same tailor. It requires lowering the waist band in front, and adding a panel in back so the pants sit lower in front and higher in back than the regular fit.

wow! What great info!!!

My hubby is confined to wc. His slacks are so baggy up front! We got him some new ones at men's wearhouse but they said they couldn't be altered either.

As for the jacket........not required. First cruise dh didn't wear one......2nd cruise he did.......3rd cruise first night yes....2nd night no......

it really doesn't matter......you will be surprised to see how relaxed alot of people are on their clothing choices!

I don't really see why others care about what other people are wearing! It's not like you are on VACATION or anything??????? I personally don't even look to see what others have on......who cares???? :eek:

Wow, thank you all for your support and great information. People on the main Princess board get so very heated about the formal night topic and make such a big deal about it, so much so that we were stressing out about it a little bit. You all made us feel so much better. We really appreciate it. THANK YOU :D!

Yes, unfortunately Rolli-Moden USA went out of business. They are still in Germany though.

USA Jeans makes wheelchair slacks in a variety of fabrics (not just denim).

Here is another couple of resources for wheelchair customized slacks: http://www.anitavee.com/pants.html

http://www.adaptationsbyadrian.com/

If your tailor doesn't know how to alter slacks for a sitting position, try a different tailor. I know many of the national and local officers for the PVA, and they all get their suits (which they wear daily) altered to take care of this problem, and they don't all use the same tailor. It requires lowering the waist band in front, and adding a panel in back so the pants sit lower in front and higher in back than the regular fit.

Thank you for this info, Splinter! I have often wanted to talk with you in more detail about some of the things you suggest, but prefer to do that with more privacy. If you are interested please email me at rings_three at yahoo dot com. Thanks.

Archived