HAL captains and cruise directors

Smoky

Originally Posted by sungoddess

Copper,

Do you have a personal email address? I can send you the most up to date Staff Officer list from HAL

Sungoddess......

Any chance I could prevail upon you to send me a copy at sail7seas7@yahoo.com? If you could do that, I'd be very appreciative. My list is outdated.

Hi there,

Capt. Olav is scheduled to disembark on 8/18. Capt. Mercer will be onboard 8/18-11/03.

Hey Sungoddess....thanks for the info. Since John mentioned that someone believed Capt. Olav (actually I think John called him "van der Hottie" :rolleyes: ) was going to Rotterdam, any ideas who will be onboard after Capt. Mercer leaves or is Capt. Olav going to be back after 11/3?

Thanks!

I see Captain Weiger van der Zee is absent from the list of Volendam or Statendam Captains. Does anyone know what happened to him?

He took a leave of absence

Hey Sungoddess....thanks for the info. Since John mentioned that someone believed Capt. Olav (actually I think John called him "van der Hottie" :rolleyes: ) was going to Rotterdam, any ideas who will be onboard after Capt. Mercer leaves or is Capt. Olav going to be back after 11/3?

I'm pretty sure/I seem to remember that that name came from you and your friends, Meg!:rolleyes:

For Oosterdam "officialy" it's Mercer until 6/30/07, van der Waard from 6/30/07-8/18/07, Mercer again from 8/18/07-11/30/07 and van der Waard from 11/3/07-2/17/08. Now Mercer is supposed to become Eurodam's "second" captain after Jeroen van Donselaar "takes her out" so he's leaving Oosterdam at some time in the future. Someone else posted that van der Waard was going to Rotterdam but that's not confirmed at this time

On the recent World -and 2 other cruises on the Amsterdam 2005 Pac Rim and Baltic+ Crossing a year ago - We had Edward Van Zaane [ with his LOVELY wife Apollonia] Captain Van Zaane is a marvelous Captain and we thoroughly enjoy both of THEM. I think the Amsterdam rotation schedule is 4 months on and 4 off, but I'm not sure.

One comment he made at dinner one night was about some new software in their computers which allows them to better [ and earlier] predict the weather. I had complimented him on the TOTALLY calm weather we had for the World. We had [ count 'em] ONE day of wind/rough seas and that was at the western end of the Mediterranean that forced us to skip Gibraltor. "Now we can go around many areas where the weather is bad" ...

Anne

I do realise this thread is about Captains and Senior HAL Staff members, however as Captain Edward G van Saane of Amsterdam fame usually travels with his gorgeous wife Apollonia (von Ravenstein) I though I would include a fascinating web page on this ex top model, actress and friend to the stars.

She is a truly charming, interesting and very humorous lady.

http://www.eindhovenfotos.nl/Apollonia_van_Ravenstein.htm

Paul

Mustn't forget all the other lovely wives...... Wouldn't be nice to single out one.

We have very much enjoyed sailing with various Captain and Hotel Manager's wives. I won't name there here.......they might not like that??? And then I'd probably end up leaving out a few due to brain freeze or whatever.

Copper10-8,

Thanks for the news on Captain van der Zee. I hope he rejoins the fleet soon. We always enjoyed sailing with him. Thanks also for the other information on the rest of the Captains and the ships. You have put in a lot of work, and we appreciate it greatly.

Mustn't forget all the other lovely wives...... Wouldn't be nice to single out one.

We have very much enjoyed sailing with various Captain and Hotel Manager's wives. I won't name there here.......they might not like that??? And then I'd probably end up leaving out a few due to brain freeze or whatever.

Yes but is there any other HAL Captain wife's with such an impressive web site devoted to them. I'm singling out the web site here not just the lady herself because it is just so fascinating. However I did recently cruised with Mrs van Zaane (Apollonia) for 105 days on the recent Grand World Voyage, was honoured to have sat next to her at the Captain's dinner and shared with her for many months exercise each morning at the Tai Chi classes. She was truly a remarkable person.

He took a leave of absence

I'm pretty sure/I seem to remember that that name came from you and your friends, Meg!:rolleyes:

For Oosterdam "officialy" it's Mercer until 6/30/07, van der Waard from 6/30/07-8/18/07, Mercer again from 8/18/07-11/30/07 and van der Waard from 11/3/07-2/17/08. Now Mercer is supposed to become Eurodam's "second" captain after Jeroen van Donselaar "takes her out" so he's leaving Oosterdam at some time in the future. Someone else posted that van der Waard was going to Rotterdam but that's not confirmed at this time

Actually, John, I think that name came from Lisa. My friends and I called him something else which cannot be typed here :eek: :p (j/k!)

I'm assuming you meant Mercer leaving 11/3 not 11/30, since 11/30 is in the middle of a cruise? Thanks for the info. I wonder who will be taking the Oosterdam if both leave.

I've heard great things about Capts van Donselaar and Mercer....looks like the E-dam is getting a great team. Speaking of the E-dam and switching ships, do you or anyone else know how captains, HMs, or CDs are chosen for ships? Do the more "prestigious" ships (with the "prestigious" itineraries...sort of like airlines and how the flight numbers are based on prestige...the lower the number, the more prestigious the flight destination, etc.) or new builds get the most senior or highest rank captain, etc. (if there is such a thing as higher rankings of captains and so on)? Just always have been curious how these things get assigned.

Thanks!

Meg

Thanks Frank - Someone else thought "van der Hottie":rolleyes: was leaving Oosterdam to go to Rotterdam.

Jeroen van Donselaar and Jonathan Mercer will be Eurodam's first two captains

Nice job, Rich!:)

John I dropped James an email to wish him well on his upcoming well vacation and asked if Capt. van der Waard would be aboard for our sailing and he said that he thought that Jonathan Mercer would be Master right around our sailing. It will be nice to meet Douglas Hernandez, I wonder how HAL lured him away from NCL

We will sail with Douglas Hernandez on his last Maasdam cruise before he leaves for Oosterdam. We met him briefly......seems a very nice gentleman.

Cant wait to hear about your trip...still counting down the days until we leave for Seattle :)

I have placed the info on staff on a web page located at

http://www.wa70.com/hal/ships.html

The links to the Captains bios work, I will try to do the others tommorrow

Rich

Wow, Rich....I'm impressed! I can't do much anything else with the internet other than surf and the occasional post. I can't imagine how long it took you to do that! Thanks for putting all that together...I'm sure many people will find it useful!

Archived