tropical shirts in alaska on ship??? anyone

gr8tfulscott

last min packing does anyone wear tropical shirts on an alaskan cruise??

would i stand out like a sore thumb or would there be others?

i'm used to carribean cruises.

the shirts a light weight i am sure i would be only wearing inside the ship.

any thoughts. ;)

DH has a couple Tommy Bahama shirts he is addicted too. Yes, he has worn them on an Alaska cruise. He also has worn them in downtown Anchorage. Looked downright silly to me. You won't see many tropical shirts, but you will see some.

last min packing does anyone wear tropical shirts on an alaskan cruise??

would i stand out like a sore thumb or would there be others?

i'm used to carribean cruises.

the shirts a light weight i am sure i would be only wearing inside the ship.

any thoughts. ;)

About 13 years ago my husband and myself went on our first Alaska cruise. There were days when the weather was cold and rainy and we were the only ones out on deck sitting at the bar. We got a good chuckle out of how out of place the poor bar staff looked in their tropical shirts. Here were a bunch of Jamaican guys freezing in Alaska, serving drinks to no one (everyone, but else were seeking shelter inside).

thanks i think i will.

is it ok for "smart casual" dinner with a pair of slacks?

so are you telling me i might see a jamacian band poolside on this alaskan trip? i love those guys.

thanks again.

aloha

shalom

how aabout alaskan term for hello / goodbye /

The way I look at it is it's summer time. What's more appropriate then a tropical shirt - no matter where you're at :D . I say pack them and enjoy your vacation.

Hey fellow Texan - I AGREE!

Aloha:

My husband and I will be going to Alaska in September and being from Hawaii, we will definetly be wearing "Aloha" wear, we have no choice:)

Also, gr2fulscott....... we have a saying on Maui for you.... Shaloha:)

Aloha

Mauitraveler

• 2 weeks later...

My wife just bought me one at the Alaska Wildberry Products shop connected to the Sourdough Mining Company restaurant in Anchorage. I know they run a shuttle to the restaurant from downtown. Several other places in Anchorage also carry them.

In addition to the Hawaiian shirt, be sure to wear shorts, a silly hat, and always carry a camera around your neck. Be sure to talk so loud that you can be heard 50 ft away.

Congratulation, you are the perfect ugly American tourist!

You will be immediately spotted by all pickpockets, thieves and muggers.

If you want to avoid security problems, dress like the locals, no matter where you go. You also might be more accepted by the local people.

-Paul

OMG Paul - relax!

Yes it is ok to wear tropical type shirts on an Alaskan cruise. Remember for the folks that live up north, even though the weather may be cold for some, it is summer for them and they may just want to wear something more on the tropical side as opposed to something they can wear every day. We just got back and there were several people dressed like that. DH also has some long sleeved caribbean type shirts that he wore. The idea is to relax and have fun and if that entails wearing tropical shirts - go for it!

This is a very informal place when it comes to dress. If you want to dress like many Alaskans, go buy Cardhardts and an t-shirt with an moose, bear, or fish on it. Seriously, the Alaska Aloha shirts are designed by a well-known local artist named John Van Zyle and they are really nice. With our temps in the mid-80s right now, they are extremely comfortable as well. We do anything to get a bit of color into our lives! If you want to see one, go to http://www.johnvanzyle.com

Afraid so. First big heat wave of the summer. We've even had late-evening thunderstorms the past two nights with more expected tonight. No rain but lots of thunder and the occasional flash.

In fact, lightning is responsible for two fires in the MatSu Valley north of Anchorage. Air is hazy in areas now.

My wife just bought me one at the Alaska Wildberry Products shop connected to the Sourdough Mining Company restaurant in Anchorage. I know they run a shuttle to the restaurant from downtown. Several other places in Anchorage also carry them.

Well I have struck out trying to find the royal blue shirt. If you happen to see them anywhere else I'd appreciate it if you could email me..

Thanks

Archived