QE2 E708 Annoying Correspondence

devonuk

Today we received a letter from Cunard stating that the planned Viking Ball on the 30th June has been cancelled and replaced with an Ascot Ball. This has really upset us as we have invested over £100 buying 2 Viking outfits.

Cunard are now requesting "elaborate hats" for the ladies and black or grey morning suit inc. waistcoat and top hat for the gentlemen.

This is our first cruise with Cunard and we are not impressed.

I have 2 questions....

Firstly,has this happened to anyone else and if so did you claim compensation for costs incurred?

Secondly,what are our options if we decide not to attend the Ascot Ball as requested? Do we have any alternative?

Thanks for any advice or help in advance.

Today we received a letter from Cunard stating that the planned Viking Ball on the 30th June has been cancelled and replaced with an Ascot Ball. This has really upset us as we have invested over £100 buying 2 Viking outfits.

Cunard are now requesting "elaborate hats" for the ladies and black or grey morning suit inc. waistcoat and top hat for the gentlemen.

This is our first cruise with Cunard and we are not impressed.

I have 2 questions....

Firstly,has this happened to anyone else and if so did you claim compensation for costs incurred?

Secondly,what are our options if we decide not to attend the Ascot Ball as requested? Do we have any alternative?

Thanks for any advice or help in advance.

I'm somewhat taken aback by this one, I'm afraid.

Turning to the Ascot Ball first, I can tell you that the Ascot Ball on Queen Mary 2 last week was hats only - and those were optional. There were also hat making facilities in addition. However there was nothing to prevent one going in the standard formal dress. I'd say a minority had hats, although I didn't spend much time in the Queen's Room.

Had you asked about the Viking Ball I would have strongly advised against buying Viking outfits. The most you would need - and again this would be optional - would have been the hats.

Queen Elizabeth 2 is a very formal ship. Dressing up for the theme is really only ever done with token gestures.

I am very surprised that there is a request for morning suits from Cunard. I certainly wouldn't waste the money hiring/buying one in any circumstances whatsoever. I have certainly not seen such a request in all the time I have spend on board her.

As for where you can go now, I would suggest you try and take them back to the shop. You might even, should you want to, change them for something else.

Matthew

I enjoy the Cunard ships but, I also have a hard time trying to understand why they change dresscodes, balls etc. They know where they are going and the number of seadays ect. Once planned it should stay fixed.

It is perplexing if you pack for a certain number of formal, informal, casual, then it get changed once onboard.

Anyway on "Royal Hawaiian Liner" 11 day QM2 we got all crazy with the Pirate Ball, Even wore the outfitts to dinner. We got a lot of attention becuase we were in the vast minority. Anyway the balls are not all that. Kindlychap is correct in that all you really need is a hat if you want to. Plus the ball is only in whatever lounge it is held in.

There is still lots of other stuff to do. Basically except for the costume contest, and some silly games with cheap prizes it is just a lot of old people dancing to really boring music. We had fun at the Pirate one. We went to the masked Ball and just had cocktails and watched the people dance.

I would be really upset too because Vikings would be way more fun and cool than some "My fair Lady" type ascot drag.

All for now, Tom in Long Beach

Make a stand and attend the Ascot Ball wearing your Viking outfits;)

viking.gif

I like this one. Sort of fits with the Viking heritage. All you need to add is a bit of raping and pillaging!

Matthew

Sorry Mary, but I don't think you'd get away with it on a formal night:o On the other hand if you were to claim it was your national dress and that to insult it was to insult your monarch I think you might pull it off:D

Doesnt make sense on a cruise to Viking land to have an Ascot Ball, whatever next a Leather night in the Lido:eek:

Why not take them anyway and who knows you could use them at the fancy dress party if they have one, as long as you dont carry the theme too far,As kindlychap suggests:eek: they are notorious for the drinking among other things...!

I went to a wedding once up in Viking land, The drinking started on the thursday, the wedding was on the Saturday, l was best man, the one liners were wasted:rolleyes: It was only watching the video when people were sober that the humour (?) was appreciated. And the head was sore till Wednesday

whatever next a Leather night in the Lido:eek:

Isn't there another thread about that? I think that it could be quite good fun:) and would beat elegant casual or even informal hands down!:D

Sorry Mary, but I don't think you'd get away with it on a formal night:o On the other hand if you were to claim it was your national dress and that to insult it was to insult your monarch I think you might pull it off:D

Didn't they set their dead heroes afloat on an elaborately decorated ship, then set them ablaze at they pushed them out to sea?

Wear the costumes.

Tell them you are there for your beloved Uncle, the archduke of Norway's funeral! Just don't say this to security, though! <LOL>

You can try a letter to Guest relations.

Most people have not had a lot of luck with complaints to them, but they do seem to be getting a bit better.

Tell them you wish to participate and it does passengers and the line no favors when they are inconsistent and keep changing their documentation.

While formal attire is not optional, should you wish to dine in the dining rooms, participation in the balls is never compulsory. They are strictly optional. Although I am one who firmly believes that participation enhances the experience. I dressed (to excess) for the pirates ball. We had fun, and I kept asking people to give me all their booty!

Karie,

ARRGH!

just a lot of old people dancing to really boring music. Tom in Long Beach

As one of those "old people" (75) must take exception to this dastardly slur against my generation and our music! Do yoiu know what replaced big band music? Small group noise.

Bob

viking.gif

I like this one. Sort of fits with the Viking heritage. All you need to add is a bit of raping and pillaging!

Matthew

As a Viking, I'm available for consultation...we wrote the book on pillaging...and all that other stuff!!:eek: I'd wear the outfits...while you were taking over the bridge!!!

Seriously, don't obsess over these themed balls...we never dressed in any costume for any of them and were in the vast majority. Some enjoy them, some don't....I"m one who doesn't!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

I can do this Malcolm....I have a legitimate claim!!:D

Cheers, Penny

I can do this Malcolm....I have a legitimate claim!!:D

Cheers, Penny

Wait! I read Hagar the Horrible, and Dik Browne lived in CT before he died. (I think his son, who may also be named Dik writes it now)

Do i qualify?

I'd like to pillage and ...er...plunder!

Karie,

who did not have to go to the other end of the state after all! Woohoo! (But still has to work til 6 AM)

...we were in the vast minority...

Tom is correct... minority is the operative word. There were half a dozen or so of these silly "balls" during the QE2's 2007 full world cruise. Most did not dress in costume. The "Night at the Raj" ball after sailing from Mumbai drew the largest number... many women in saris.

i know what you mean guys.

i'm goin on the QE2 this august and i have been told that their will be a masquearde ball, royal ascot ball, and interntational ball. i have to say that i actually really enjoy dressing up and have been looking around for a nice fancy hat (well, fancy headband with feathers and stuff attached). but i have to say that i'm not sure how far to go with these things. i appreciate the advice that costumed people are in the minority, and i agree that the ship cant do much about it if you dont want to come in costume. also, what the hell is one supposed to wear to an international ball?! i'll wear a union jack flag shall i and protest my britishness?!

lol.

any thoughts, anyone?

i'm goin on the QE2 this august and i have been told that their will be a masquearde ball, royal ascot ball, and interntational ball. i have to say that i actually really enjoy dressing up and have been looking around for a nice fancy hat (well, fancy headband with feathers and stuff attached). but i have to say that i'm not sure how far to go with these things. i appreciate the advice that costumed people are in the minority, and i agree that the ship cant do much about it if you dont want to come in costume. also, what the hell is one supposed to wear to an international ball?! i'll wear a union jack flag shall i and protest my britishness?!

lol.

any thoughts, anyone?

lol.

any thoughts, anyone?

Sorry NHBob

I should have worded that better.

Perhaps I should have said that if you are not into ball room dancing you will not be missing much.

Tom In Long Beach

Thanks, Tom. Hope you realize I wasn't really upset, just can't resist pulling one of you young folks' leg once in a while on behalf of all us "old people."

Bob

My experience on the QE2 was that the so called Black and White Ball was acomplete flop. Even the Cunard hostess did not wear Black and White, the only token to the theme was a single line of balloons above the band. The whole thing lasted about 30 mins, the hostess sang a bawdy song over and over again .as the dancers formed a circle and "jigged" around

Song was

"Swing your partner to the right, swing your partner to the left, smack him on his bum and send him on his way"!!!!!!!! Tacky tacky tacky. on any ship

Not worth the effort of walking to the lounge.

Yes I wore a full length black evening dress with a white satin stole and a diamante necklace but I was one of only about 6 women who "conformed" to the dress .

Going on QM2 in Sept, will wear same outfit for Black and White night (but I will not bother to attend the "ball), will wear a mask for Masquerade - if it is held, but will not pack a hat for so called Ascot, I will just just wear a chiffon gown that night .

With all the restrictions on weight by the air lines, I would not sacrifice the space in my cases with costumes. but that is just my own opinion.

Last word, I do wish the Home Office staff of ANY cruise line would give out ACCURATE information. There is no excuse for the kind of letter the poster received.

Archived