Travel Deals In Anchorage

Chenega

Sorry about that but ol' Chenega is a guy! The board name comes from an island in Prince William Sound and our pet dog :)

Those bargains at the website are really good. The cost of visiting Alaska is outlandish at times so anything that can help should be useful.

Sorry about that but ol' Chenega is a guy! The board name comes from an island in Prince William Sound and our pet dog :)

Oops. Sorry about that. I should have known that from previous posts. OK, a man after my own wallet!

Those bargains at the website are really good. The cost of visiting Alaska is outlandish at times so anything that can help should be useful.

I did notice that some of the offers are for residents only. Maybe if I had obtained some of that free land in Anderson a few months ago I could be considered a resident :D . Still, many specials are for everyone.

One of the keys I find to traveling inexpensively in AK is to plan and book early. I got so many bargains last fall for this summer that weren't available later in the year (especially car rental and hotels). But even things like Katmai lodge/camping need to be booked very early. This board has given me great ideas.

John

Yeah, and my wife loves to go after my wallet :)

You are so right on planning ahead and doing your research. The internet has opened up tourist information like never before and Alaska relies heavily on summer tourism. Since tourism is soft early in the season, there really can 0be some great deals if you look for them. Alaska is not an inexpensive place to visit so advance planning is a must.

I went to Katmai many years ago and loved it. However, it was very expensive for what you got. Amazing that the airfare from Anchorage to Orlando is cheaper than the airfare to Katmai! Again, the summer tourist season is simply pricy.

I went to Katmai many years ago and loved it. However, it was very expensive for what you got. Amazing that the airfare from Anchorage to Orlando is cheaper than the airfare to Katmai! Again, the summer tourist season is simply pricy.

Katmai can be VERY expensive but, due to advance planning, I am doing it on the ultra-cheap. I was able to use Delta miles to fly Delta and Alaska Air from central MN to King Salmon with a free stop in Anchorage. Just by adding the Anchorage-King Salmon round trip flight onto the frequent flyer ticket, I figure I am saving $400 or more. Then I pay the $175 or so round trip for the King Salmon to Brooks Camp floatplane and spend $8/night x 3 nights for the campground (booked the day that reservations were first accepted in January). So three nights at Brooks Camp will cost me all of $200 plus food. That is a bargain to me!

Archived