Do you really understand the Guest Conduct Policy aka 'The RULES'?

Why, it is not some other adult's position to correct every mistake some parent is making. If the child is in physical danger, removing the child from the danger or the danger from the child would be appropriate. However, if the child is not in physical danger, then it would not be appropriate for a non-parent to take any action beyond speaking to the parents or the staff.

So what would you expect a non-parent to do in this case?

Because I do think that as adults we have a responsibility to be a good example to children. Even children that are not ours. As I was thinking about this topic, I was asking myself what I would do, and I've decided that if I were on a team or playing and "adult" themed game, I would NOT play it or be part of playing it with a child. So I would leave and be a little ticked that the parents of the child didn't see fit to remove them.

Physical danger isn't the only thing that we need to look out for when it comes to kids. Emotional care is needed as well. Kids copy what they see. It wouldn't be good for them to copy adult themed behavior, and they are not equipped to know better.

I think rsscaptain is sad FOR THE CHILD because those responsible for him/her do not care enough about the child to shield him/her from things that perhaps are not appropriate for a young person.

I am sure captain will correct me if I have misinterpreted the comment.

Because I do think that as adults we have a responsibility to be a good example to children. Even children that are not ours. As I was thinking about this topic, I was asking myself what I would do, and I've decided that if I were on a team or playing and "adult" themed game, I would NOT play it or be part of playing it with a child. So I would leave and be a little ticked that the parents of the child didn't see fit to remove them.

Physical danger isn't the only thing that we need to look out for when it comes to kids. Emotional care is needed as well. Kids copy what they see. It wouldn't be good for them to copy adult themed behavior, and they are not equipped to know better.

Let me get this straight. To make a point, you would stop doing what you want to do? If you are going to allow someone to ruin your enjoyment that is your problem.

If I see a problem, I'll mention it to the proper person. But I am not going to stop doing something I enjoy because some else is doing something that I don't approve of.

It may say "Adults Only" and you may not like that 'kids' come to the show, but there is no rule which says they can't attend the show or participate which is the particular case being presented in previous posts here. This is not in anyway to be confused with an "Adults Only" resort or such activities which take place therein.

The "Adults Only" statement for the show is a guideline for the parents to use in deciding if they want their kids attending. It is not a directive that kids can't attend.

Are you kidding? "Adults Only" is pretty clear to me! It isn't "Adults Only...except for those that don't want it to apply". A cruise ship isn't a police state - rules are posted and passengers are expected to follow them. There shouldn't need to be "enforcers" at every corner because too many people try to rationalize, get away with whatever they can and don't respect boundaries!

Let me get this straight. To make a point, you would stop doing what you want to do? If you are going to allow someone to ruin your enjoyment that is your problem.

If I see a problem, I'll mention it to the proper person. But I am not going to stop doing something I enjoy because some else is doing something that I don't approve of.

You just summed up mainstream thinking these days! :cool: But yes, I would stop what I was doing and yes it would be my problem. When it comes to kids I'm a sucker. Now an adult that was acting badly.?.?.unless like you said, they were hurting someone, then all bets are off and I wouldn't let someone ruin my time! ;)

Are you kidding? "Adults Only" is pretty clear to me! It isn't "Adults Only...except for those that don't want it to apply". A cruise ship isn't a police state - rules are posted and passengers are expected to follow them. There shouldn't need to be "enforcers" at every corner because too many people try to rationalize, get away with whatever they can and don't respect boundaries!

You are right, there shouldn't need to be "enforcers" at every corner. However, since we both know there is always going to be someone who does not follow the rules, then someone needs to enforce the rules or we are going to have a cruise with no rules.

Why do you think locks were invented? To keep honest people honest.

You just summed up mainstream thinking these days! :cool: But yes, I would stop what I was doing and yes it would be my problem. When it comes to kids I'm a sucker. Now an adult that was acting badly.?.?.unless like you said, they were hurting someone, then all bets are off and I wouldn't let someone ruin my time! ;)

That is your choice.

Kids copy what they see. It wouldn't be good for them to copy adult themed behavior, and they are not equipped to know better.

Thinking that all kids copy what they see and letting them know they are not equiped to know better, gives them an excuse to do whatever they want. I think this is far worse parenting then letting them see Quest. I have seen Quest several times and never saw anything that bad about it. I have not seen anywhere where it has said 18 and over only.

Talk to your kids and let them know what is out there in the world so that they will know how to act and what to stay away from. Shelter them to much and then they go crazy! At least that was how it was with all of my friends while growing up. All of the ones that had parents that tried to shelter them from everything were always the worst behaved kids.

The problem is not the people who break the rules, it is the enforcer. How much credibility does a rule have without any enforcement?

People will always do what they do, until someone tells them otherwise. Most people know the difference between right and wrong, but then there are a few who flat out don't care, regardless. Rules are for these types of people.

Fausto

But, it is not "just" to make a point.

If the poster believes that the activity to take place is not appropriate for children to witness, then the poster would not want to participate in that activity in front of a child--whether or not the child's parents think it is OK.

That makes perfect sense--the poster is staying true to their beliefs.

I am not kidding. You are making a moral judgment and I am trying to make the argument based on the Guest Conduct Policy (the rules). Not how I feel about the subject. My whole point in posting this thread is to get people to understand what the rules say versus how you feel about something that people do. Again, in this particular case, if the ship didn't want anyone under a certain age, then they should post the age restriction.

In addition, if you search the whole RCI website for "Adults Only" the only place you will find it listed is when they make reference to the Solarium. Going back to the age policy, that would mean the kids 16 and older are considered by RCI as Adults and therefore 16 year olds are allowed to attend any "Adults Only" shows. If you follow my point I am trying to establish the boundaries as outlined by the RCI policies, not boundaries which people want to put on things arbitrarily.

I hate to even comment on this but here goes. Being a teacher I see rules broken everyday. Parents break school rules when they take their students out to even take a cruise. Each of us is responsible for our own actions not the cruise line. If each of us would follow the "rules" there would not be a problem. Unfortunately we choose to only obey the rules we agree with and break the others.

Thinking that all kids copy what they see and letting them know they are not equiped to know better, gives them an excuse to do whatever they want. I think this is far worse parenting then letting them see Quest. I have seen Quest several times and never saw anything that bad about it. I have not seen anywhere where it has said 18 and over only.

Talk to your kids and let them know what is out there in the world so that they will know how to act and what to stay away from. Shelter them to much and then they go crazy! At least that was how it was with all of my friends while growing up. All of the ones that had parents that tried to shelter them from everything were always the worst behaved kids.

LOL If I have this talk with my daughter she'll put me in the looney bin. :D She's 24, graduated, married, and owns her own buisness. She is doing very well, and didn't go CRAZY. I know what you mean though. When parents are too strict some kids do go nuts.

Kids are like a spring that is compressed. When you let your finger off all at once, it bounces wildly. Let go little by little it becomes relaxed in a controled fashion.

Parents will agree to dissagree about things, but I just think it's pretty simple to adhere to policy even suggestions regarding adult/child behavior. It's best that they are not there. :)

I hate to even comment on this but here goes. Being a teacher I see rules broken everyday. Parents break school rules when they take their students out to even take a cruise. Each of us is responsible for our own actions not the cruise line. If each of us would follow the "rules" there would not be a problem. Unfortunately we choose to only obey the rules we agree with and break the others.
Maybe some do, our school district had a policy allowing a certain number (5, I think) of days that a parent could have their child not attend school for any reason (including family vacations).

I am not kidding. You are making a moral judgment and I am trying to make the argument based on the Guest Conduct Policy (the rules). Not how I feel about the subject. My whole point in posting this thread is to get people to understand what the rules say versus how you feel about something that people do. Again, in this particular case, if the ship didn't want anyone under a certain age, then they should post the age restriction.

In addition, if you search the whole RCI website for "Adults Only" the only place you will find it listed is when they make reference to the Solarium. Going back to the age policy, that would mean the kids 16 and older are considered by RCI as Adults and therefore 16 year olds are allowed to attend any "Adults Only" shows. If you follow my point I am trying to establish the boundaries as outlined by the RCI policies, not boundaries which people want to put on things arbitrarily.

No, I am not making a "moral judgement" regarding the meaning of "adults only". :rolleyes: I am disagreeing with your assertion that "adults only" - posted outside of any venue or event - can be so loosely interpreted as you suggest in your earlier post. Any parent that sees that sign and takes their child in anyway is both irresponsible and disrespectful, IMHO.

LOL If I have this talk with my daughter she'll put me in the looney bin. :D She's 24, graduated, married, and owns her own buisness. :)

Wow that really surprises me! Is your avatar a pic of you?? If so you only look about 24 in that pic!

Agree you have a valid point, although it makes me sad to see that the ONLY reason this rule is cared about in many schools--including the high school my kids are in--is because the school will lose funds if students are absent...

Sometimes the school wants the student taken out for MORE days so that an independent learning "program" can be set up--preserving the schools funding. I believe the school won't even give the to-be-absent student the assignments they will be missing ahead of time unless it is for at least the number of days in question (I think five?).

No, I am not making a "moral judgement" regarding the meaning of "adults only". :rolleyes: I am disagreeing with your assertion that "adults only" - posted outside of any venue or event - can be so loosely interpreted as you suggest in your earlier post. Any parent that sees that sign and takes their child in anyway is both irresponsible and disrespectful, IMHO.

I have never seen a sign outside of Quest saying adults only. Does anyone have a pic of this. I am just curious because I have never seen it. I have never looked either because I have never cruised with the kids.

Thank you for stating your opinion.:) Again, I am just trying to associate the term to the policies documented by RCI. The use of the term in fact leaves ambiguity in the application of the age to which this implies. Since people interpret things differently, I feel it is important to place not the term "Adult Only" alone, but the age restriction as well to remove any misinterpretation or ambiguity of the use of the term to whom this term should apply.

Wow that really surprises me! Is your avatar a pic of you?? If so you only look about 24 in that pic!

We started young! ;) That was in December on a pirate ship in Puerto Vallarta. Put it this way, outside of our Disney vacation in November, (SIL's never been and it's a family tradition with us) we're sticking with cruising for while. But THAT'S another story!:eek:

But, it is not "just" to make a point.

If the poster believes that the activity to take place is not appropriate for children to witness, then the poster would not want to participate in that activity in front of a child--whether or not the child's parents think it is OK.

That makes perfect sense--the poster is staying true to their beliefs.

Like I said, it is that person's choice.

I have never seen a sign outside of Quest saying adults only. Does anyone have a pic of this. I am just curious because I have never seen it. I have never looked either because I have never cruised with the kids.

I haven't seen it either, just replying to post #22. I believe the Compass has said "adults only" for Quest. Seems like it may vary from ship to ship, though.

People just seem to be getting better at rationalizations - justifying inappropriate behavior - these days!

I haven't seen it either, just replying to post #22. I believe the Compass has said "adults only" for Quest. Seems like it may vary from ship to ship, though.

People just seem to be getting better at rationalizations - justifying inappropriate behavior - these days!

None of the Compass's I have say that. I just looked.

Archived