I just complained to my congressmen . . .

JayDeeJay

. . . about the absurd breakdown in the system. If it's taking 14+ weeks to obtain a passport because the office is overwhelmed with >millions of applications, it apparently hasn't occurred to anyone to put more people on the job. Beaurocacy at its finest. I've gotten a canned response from all three ... in the past, I've actually gotten called by a real human being, but it was MONTHS later.

The American people are not being served by those sworn to serve and protect ... and yet we all just grumble about it and shake our collective head. Instead, we need to make it clear this is not acceptable!

If you want to know how to get in touch with your representatives in Washington, and let them know how you feel, I'll be glad to give you the link!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

. . . about the absurd breakdown in the system. If it's taking 14+ weeks to obtain a passport because the office is overwhelmed with >millions of applications, it apparently hasn't occurred to anyone to put more people on the job. Beaurocacy at its finest. I've gotten a canned response from all three ... in the past, I've actually gotten called by a real human being, but it was MONTHS later.

The American people are not being served by those sworn to serve and protect ... and yet we all just grumble about it and shake our collective head. Instead, we need to make it clear this is not acceptable!

If you want to know how to get in touch with your representatives in Washington, and let them know how you feel, I'll be glad to give you the link!!!

What breakdown in the system?

I disagree with your assessment, this is not a problem created by the government, and creating bigger government by throwing more people at this is also not the solution. The solution was for people to not procrastinate their application submission, this has been pending for about two years with two major delays, everyone has had plenty of time. Don't blame the government, and the I want it now, put more people on it, is an unacceptable cost to the system. Adding more people just adds to the beurocracy that you are renouncing...

Many of us forsaw the need for passports right after 9-11-01. I applied early in Dec of that year and had mine in a bit less than three weeks. Why blame the government for so many that procrastinated till the last minute? Surely you could see this coming.

The government is putting extra people on the job, in fact they are even calling people who have retired back to help.

Should this have happened sooner? Sure! Should people have procrastinated in getting their passport? No.

We all knew this was coming a long time ago. It wasnt a secret. In fact the original date was changed to give folks more time.

I am sorry it is taking so long but with the influx of millions of applications things arent going to move very fast. So either apply much much earlier or just be patient.

Did you not read the latest change with passports?? At this point, writing is silly... since they announced last week due to the backlog, you will be allowed to fly to Canada or Mexico with your receipt, showing that you have applied... Here is a link to the information: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

They KNOW there is a backlog...

We aren't being served by those who are sworn to serve and protect?? Nonsense... those people that gave themselves plenty of time, over the past TWO YEARS they have known about this, were served just fine... sorry, but it's true. They stated 10-12 weeks, yours is 2 weeks beyond that... I wouldn't be too upset yet, there are people that have waited much longer... Surely you gave yourself plenty of time before your upcoming flight?? Either way, don't panic... as long as you have applied, you will be fine...

they extended the deadline a million and one times to specifically avoid this problem. sorry, but anyone stuck now has no right to complain IMO.

No kidding!!! Lots of people crying wolf now :p LOL!!!

My biggest problem with this is the timeline. Why tell us 10-12 weeks when it is going to be much longer than that. They should be held to their word. I had no need for a passport until this year. I applied in March for a October cruise, so if I don't have it by then I have every right to be ticked off.

Have to agree....should have gotten it when they 1st started talking about needing one. I did. Sure, I spent the $$ a couple of years sooner than I actually HAD to, but no worries for me:D Hope no ones trip is ruined by not getting theirs on time.

My biggest problem with this is the timeline. Why tell us 10-12 weeks when it is going to be much longer than that. They should be held to their word. I had no need for a passport until this year. I applied in March for a October cruise, so if I don't have it by then I have every right to be ticked off.

The timeline is an estimate. Nothing more, nothing less.

I just think people should have the common sense to know better, LOL... If I am given a RANGE for a date, I ALWAYS allow for overage... ranges don't make me happy. If they said YOU WILL RECEIVE BY, that is one thing but not a "range"... and the site has stressed applying early as to not miss your vacation, for months now. By giving a range, they have no "word"... They tell you a range for your refund check, a range for nearly everything... I can't tell you how many places currently say "you should receive within..." They are not making a guarantee..

You did the right thing, you gave yourself plenty of time. I am referring to people that gave themselves 3 months, when the site said 10-12 weeks... not sure why anyone would cut something that close...bottom line is, everyone has known about this for 2 years (longer actually) and there has been plenty of time... people thought they would wait, and now we have a tremendous backlog... sure, they have brought in more people, but more and more are applying NOW... the PEOPLE have to start taking some of the blame for this... but the PEOPLE are always looking to blame someone else :p LOL!!!

If I were them, there would be a HUGE sign.... Procrastination on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part :p

Once again, I don't get all the complaining...... The Homeland Security Assoc. announced after 2001 that in 2007 passports would soon be required for all travel outside the United States...... Why did everyone wait?????????????

And if your someone who waited, then don't blame the government for the delay..... Why should they have to hire tons of people to do passports when if everyone would have been sending them in periodically since 2001, they wouldn't have delays.... They shouldn't be yelled at for Americans procrastinations.......

I did my passport right after that and got it in 6 weeks....Didn't know when I'd travel but knew it would be required and wanted to have it if I did...... And the delays in renewals are the exception.... But first timers are partially to blame...... :rolleyes:

I disagree with your assessment, this is not a problem created by the government, and creating bigger government by throwing more people at this is also not the solution. The solution was for people to not procrastinate their application submission, this has been pending for about two years with two major delays, everyone has had plenty of time. Don't blame the government, and the I want it now, put more people on it, is an unacceptable cost to the system. Adding more people just adds to the beurocracy that you are renouncing...

This is incorrect. My son needed to renew this year. Because his passport did not expire until June, we were told he could not apply in January but to wait. When he found out he had a chance to go to Europe we applied April 2nd. He had to go to the office and not do it by mail because he is only 17 and needed a new photo. We waited 3 hours to spend 7 minutes getting processed. As we were told it would be 2 to 3 months, we expedited for a stiff cost and got it 9 days later.

There were 2 people processing applications at the largest office in Tampa. If one person takes 7 minutes when everything is completed beforehand but a family who takes a number has 3 children and 2 adults which was often the case it was no wonder so many people walked out.

They NEED more people. The numbers were not increased when the change was made. Of course more people need to apply. That's why they've finally caved...they won't add more people but they've extended the requirements once again.

This is incorrect. My son needed to renew this year. Because his passport did not expire until June, we were told he could not apply in January but to wait. When he found out he had a chance to go to Europe we applied April 2nd. He had to go to the office and not do it by mail because he is only 17 and needed a new photo. We waited 3 hours to spend 7 minutes getting processed. As we were told it would be 2 to 3 months, we expedited for a stiff cost and got it 9 days later.

There were 2 people processing applications at the largest office in Tampa. If one person takes 7 minutes when everything is completed beforehand but a family who takes a number has 3 children and 2 adults which was often the case it was no wonder so many people walked out.

They NEED more people. The numbers were not increased when the change was made. Of course more people need to apply. That's why they've finally caved...they won't add more people but they've extended the requirements once again.

i don't think we are talking about renewals, actually.

Please keep in mind there is a difference between people who help you fill out and then accept the applications, and those who actually process your application and make your passport.

For example I applied at my main post office. The person who helped me is a postal employee. I wouldnt expect the post office to hire more people.

We are talking about the people who work in the passport agencies such as New Orleans etc.

I have to agree with everyone saying that this can hardly be blamed on the State Department. How accurately can they be expected to estimate how many people are going to (procrastinate and) apply for passports at any given time? :)

Of course, if I don't get mine back by end of August, I may change my tune. :)

If I'm not mistaken you took your application to the post office. This is what you're talking about correct??

If so, it has nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Please keep in mind there is a difference between people who help you fill out and then accept the applications' date=' and those who actually process your application and make your passport.

For example I applied at my main post office. The person who helped me is a postal employee. I wouldnt expect the post office to hire more people.

We are talking about the people who work in the passport agencies such as New Orleans etc.[/quote']

Thank you. I think psychrn is confused.

If I were them, there would be a HUGE sign.... Procrastination on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part :p

Lucy,

Great message for whenever you are dealing with the public. When my passport was near expiring last year, I re-newed it right-away. To procrastinate places the onis upon the originator. The procrastinator has created a new type of business, ie: FAST, NEXTDAY, OVERNIGHT, IMMEDIATELY. When did people stop planning ahead.

Smooth Sailing,

Dave

but i can see the point about renewals, though. if you aren't permitted to renew until a certain time b/4 expiration, than you can get screwed b/c of the many procrastinators. and, if you don't live near a pp agency, then you have no other choice but to go to the post office and have them ship it off to one of the processing centers. but, there shld be a dept in each processing center that handles renewals so those people don't get stuck. after all, they probably didn't wait b/c they were lazy, but rather b/c they had to.

but, again, (after all that :D )i don't think we are talking about renewals Crusinpsychrn, LOL.

Mr Dood, you are 100% correct. How come some of us heard this and acted while some did not? I got mine in early 2006 because I knew I would be needing it sooner or later so I applied. It took only 3 weeks for me to get mine.

Folks need to blame the right people (themselves) for not heeding the warning instead of blaming the folks that work there.

If I'm not mistaken you took your application to the post office. This is what you're talking about correct??

If so, it has nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Just to point out it happened to us at this end, not the State Dept. end. If this end is overwhelmed, the people doing the processing can gage the numbers etc. People who applied the same day (my neighbor) for new passports haven't yet gotten them.

Archived