Anyone use those cheap fares for Holland?

Mysteryfan

I have cruised twice now, and am wondering those super cheap bargains I have found on the website that is linked to this, are they any good.??? Do you get an inside cabin or the cheapest cabin available???

Billl

The lead in price is normally an inside cabin but you can also select outside, verandas and suites on those same web sites. We have done over 20 cruises with online brokers and have never had a problem. There are several good ones that will be easy to find.

Redmond Cruiser is right! The first really cheap price is usually an inside unless it is noted otherwise.

Our TA experiences have been mixed. We used HAL once, then another regular TA, but we found the same or better level of customer service when we switched to one of the discount online TAs. I really enjoying chatting and emailling with our regular TA at that agency and she has gladly researched many cruises simultaneously while we were trying to arrange coverage here at home - that can take dozens of phone calls/emails and several days (or a week or 2), with the cruise dates also varying a great deal. I imagine it is more of a trial for her than it is for us when we're sorting out that most basic decision - which cruise to take. She's been very patient and helpful.

Since switching to the discount TA and establishing a relationship with her, we have mostly moved up in cabin categories, depending on our needs for the specific cruise. The rates are better than most other agencies I've found and within probably $100 either way of the next-best, plus there are often free perks either through the agency. In the Caribbean, we had an SS for the extra space and covered veranda, but "downgraded" to an open aft veranda for Alaska. Might not have been ideal for a lot of people, but even with a negligible price difference, we didn't want another category. She works with exactly what we tell her we need or want, but still shares info on all the deals in case we're interested. We called yesterday to book and ended up with a suite, but that was because we'd already decided on a SS and the deal was too good to pass up. If we'd had other priorities on the cruise or for a different itinerary, we might have stayed with what we originally wanted to book.

Having said that, we did have to use another discounter for a Cunard cruise and the rapport isn't there. We're very happy with the rate, but I wouldn't have chosen this TA if circumstances had been different.

I have to work with the TA and I like someone who is personable and who can clue in to our priorities and not try to change those priorities. So, if you're a "just the facts" kind of person, it's probably easier for you to work with some of these other TAs. I've talked to a lot of them and if their manner turns me off, I might snag a once-in-a-lifetime type deal, but I wouldn't go back to them regularly. And, I wouldn't work with anyone I couldn't speak with on the phone. I know there are good online-only TAs, but I want to be able to pick up the phone and call someone.

Archived