Shore Excursions - Catamarans

falnangel7

I am currently looking into shore excursions for my mom. She is in her low 60's, but has trouble with large steps and very uneven pavement. We are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise on RCL Serenade of the Seas.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get on and off the Catamarans that most of the operators run in port? There is an excursion that I'm interested in on Antigua, but I'm worried that she might have problems getting on and off at the different stops. I'm not as concerned with doing it when snorkeling since she probably won't do that anyway, but on beach stops do you think it would be too difficult? Also, is there comfortable seating on these trips or is it just hard benches? And how difficult is it to get to the bathroom?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1 month later...
I am currently looking into shore excursions for my mom. She is in her low 60's, but has trouble with large steps and very uneven pavement. We are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise on RCL Serenade of the Seas.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get on and off the Catamarans that most of the operators run in port? There is an excursion that I'm interested in on Antigua, but I'm worried that she might have problems getting on and off at the different stops. I'm not as concerned with doing it when snorkeling since she probably won't do that anyway, but on beach stops do you think it would be too difficult? Also, is there comfortable seating on these trips or is it just hard benches? And how difficult is it to get to the bathroom?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Full size catamarans are easy to board from a dock. but they can be difficult at a beach or using a dinghy. Most cats cannot be beached. When they do offer beach activities it's usually necessary to transfer via a dinghy. On board bathrooms are often difficult to access. You will likely have to descend a narrow stairway; however, I've seen a few with easier access. In either case, the bathroom is tiny.

Just check in advance. I've heard of cat operators who make special provisions for disabled persons. I wouldn't depend on a cat trip booked thru the ship, though. You'll need to book with an independent operator who can guarantee your mom's access.

• 3 weeks later...

We we've done catamaran excursions twice, Cozumel ('05) and Manzanillo ('07), Mexico. I snorkeled and DH didn't. When we got to the beach near Coz. we had to wade in the surf to get to the sitting area. DH managed to do it then, because of the wide ramp, but last Feb. with no ramp, he had a problem with his knees and the captain took the cat down the beach farther where it could pull up more and it took two guys to help him off. I don't know what is involved with the specific tour you are looking at. Maybe the company has a website that gives a good description of what is entailed.

Archived