Oosterdam 6/30/2007

mugwump

I'll be cruising on the Oosterdam's 6/30/2007 Alaska trip which will also be hosting the 800 participants of Womynfest at Sea 2007. I assume that under these circumstances I can expect many of the ship's facilities to be reserved for such a large group. Any tips or tricks to salvaging a trip that appears to be hamstrung before it's even started? And no, I could care less about the makeup of this group -- I would be just as apprehensive to be sailing with an 800 strong contingent of kindly cookie making elves.

Where did you get the 800 headcount from? I am not doubting you, just curious.

The good news is that Alaska is bigger than any group. The bad news is this group has size and muscle with private entertainment, parties and events.

I did look at the prices for this now sold out cruise. Cabins were discounted 44-54% before they sold out. The sailing before and after this one was discounted only 12-24%. I am hoping you were able to snage a bargain for yourself, but it is possible the rates were dropped after final payment date.

I cannot imagine that the CrowsNest will be closed on the day you are in Hubbard Glacier but it is apt to be jammed beyonf capacity as it is on any ALaskan sail. Those lounge chairs go fast and early and make the pool side lounge chair hogs, look like child's play.

Regardless of the groups size, most of HAL's Alaskan sails are going out full. If it were not this group, it would be another 800 passengers.

I hope you can do the flag signing and Mr/ Deering the hotel manager is available. He may have some ideas of what the week will be like some insight to share with you. If it were me, I would take pictures of any significant venues that are closed to non group passengers cause you never know.....

Here's the blurb from the Womynfest site:

"No, it is not a full ship charter. Our group will account for 50% of the ship's guests. We will be holding our own private entertainment programs in one of the ship's lounges around the schedule of the rest of the ship's entertainment and features."

So 800-900 is about right.

MUGWUMP - I am also booked on the 6/30 Oosterdam cruise. Not sure what to make of the unpleasant surprise that we will be traveling with 800 members of a private party. It just seems that HAL should have fully disclosed that the ship is essentially a charter. Needless to say, we are traveling as an extended family and I am afraid to tell some of our members... ugh. If you want to discuss/vent further, email me at bethels7 at gmail dot com. :(

Don't get too lathered up on rumors.

The group is actually about 225.

Oosterdam typically has 2 or three groups this size onboard nearly every cruise at that time of year.

It is very likely that you will not even notice them.

Don't get too lathered up on rumors.

The group is actually about 225.

Oosterdam typically has 2 or three groups this size onboard nearly every cruise at that time of year.

It is very likely that you will not even notice them.

I hope you're right on the numbers as their own website claims that they've sold out all available spots and that they'll be comprising about half of the ship's total passengers. I'm just worried about trying to get any decent level of service if my little group is competing against an 800 pound gorilla for attention. Do you have inside information that provided that lower number?

beta7 --

I'll also be traveling with extended family of the very conservative sort but they're just going to have to deal and I will tell them in advance so it's not a surprise at boarding. The best part is that they're the ones who booked this particular cruise so they can't blame me!

Do you have inside information that provided that lower number?

Bruce Muzz works for a cruise line. I would take the information he is giving youat face value and enjoy your cruise.

Remember if you want to be in the CrowsNest on glacier day, get there early, real early cause group or no group, the place will be jammed. I personally like being outside. Have a fabulous cruise and remember to sign the flag.

Bruce Mazz - I hope you are right, but the group's website seems to say that they will comprise 1/2 the ship. In my opinion, having 2-3 groups of 200 is much different than one group of 800.

In any case, thanks for the advice - there's obviously nothing we can do about it now but just wish our TA was more on the ball. If I can find the info on CC, certainly she should have been able to alert us or at least let us know the possibility of large groups on Oosterdam.

We will descend upon the CrowsNest early... or maybe just order room service and sit on the verandah. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived