Wheel Chair friendly?

Bell Ringer

What places are wheel chair friendly in Bermuda? As I remember the streets are more like cobblestone in St. Georges, and don't remember whether there are ramps anywhere there or in Hamilton. Our friend doesn't need the chair all the time, but getting around will be much easier if we can use the wheel chair to get from place to place.

Unfortunately, there is no Bermudian equivalent of the 'Americans with disabilities act', so most places are not chair accessible. I recommend that you call or email the places you are interested in visiting and ask them specifically so you can make plans ahead of time. Best of luck!

Does anyone know if they can be taken on the ferries? Since Bicycles can go on the ferry, it would be logical to allow them....but then I get too logical sometime.

Yes, they be taken on the ferry. The problem is getting them on some of them with a person in them. If the person does not need it all the time, so they could walk on, but bring the chair, I think it would be a lot easier.

Yes, they be taken on the ferry. The problem is getting them on some of them with a person in them. If the person does not need it all the time, so they could walk on, but bring the chair, I think it would be a lot easier.

Fortunately, at this point, our friend will need the wheelchair sporadically esp. for distance travel...Getting on and off the ship and for times to rest. So that gives us one more way to travel.

Archived