Crew Mail?

doorcountydi

Does anyone know if it's possible to send mail to a crew member aboard a ship?

I did a Google search on it and ended up at a forum that degenerated into the fact that many women had corresponded with crew, ended up marrying them with the later realization they just wanted their green cards and some were already married in their home countries, etc. :eek: (none mentioned HAL, as I don't think that kind of thing exists on HAL ships, unless I'm totally naive). But all the posts never gave me an answer as to whether it's possible to send mail.

Sometimes I'll get a particularly good photo of a CD or Asst. CD with their family or whatever, and it'd be fun to pass them along.

Diane

(new to cruising in 2002, almost a 100-dayer on HAL. Last cruise: Veendam, Mediterranean, last month. Next cruise: Noordam, NY to Caribbean in October)

When I have communicated with crew occassionally in the past with other than e-mail, I sent it via Port Agent. You need to know their ports, dates the ship will be in, and name of Port Agent for that port.

I did a Google search on it and ended up at a forum that degenerated into the fact that many women had corresponded with crew, ended up marrying them with the later realization they just wanted their green cards and some were already married in their home countries, etc. :eek: (none mentioned HAL, as I don't think that kind of thing exists on HAL ships, unless I'm totally naive). But all the posts never gave me an answer as to whether it's possible to send mail.

Sometimes I'll get a particularly good photo of a CD or Asst. CD with their family or whatever, and it'd be fun to pass them along.

Diane

(new to cruising in 2002, almost a 100-dayer on HAL. Last cruise: Veendam, Mediterranean, last month. Next cruise: Noordam, NY to Caribbean in October)

I bet that anything that happens on other cruiselines probably exists on Holland America ships also. Can't help you on the mail question.

Diane

Yes you can physically send something to a crew member, I did it just last year. You can address it as follows:

Crewmember’s Name

Position

Ship Name

C/O Holland America Line

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

Seattle will forward the package to the ship for the crew member.

Thanks everyone, for the answers! Appreciate it. I'm just now starting to see the same crew members for the 3rd or 4th time on board and have some fun pictures, but with 13 (soon 14) ships, you never know when you'll run into them again.

Diane

I used to address some holiday cards that way when I didn't know Port Agent's name/address and most of them were received by the crew person.

Sometimes I got one back.

I used to address some holiday cards that way when I didn't know Port Agent's name/address and most of them were received by the crew person.

Sometimes I got one back.

Sail

I used that address to ship a bottle of wine to James Deering aboard Oosterdam and he got it in reasonable time. Funny thing was he sent me an email after he got it to tell me that he actually knew the winemaker Jack Cakebread! I guess I shouldnt have been too surprised :D

Of course you can e-mail them aboard ship. However only if they have given you the address. I have several friends on board various ships and do mail them often. They have a personal address and read their mail the same as ashore when they are off the ship. No different than we do.

Sail

I used that address to ship a bottle of wine to James Deering aboard Oosterdam and he got it in reasonable time. Funny thing was he sent me an email after he got it to tell me that he actually knew the winemaker Jack Cakebread! I guess I shouldnt have been too surprised :D

Glad it worked well for you, Frank.

...and that you selected a wine Mr. Deering was familiar with. :)

• 2 months later...

Archived