Please Help - BC's need on one nighters?

mheinrich

I hope someone can help me. A bunch of us are going on the Spirit one nighter out of NYC this Saturday. Someone from our group called NCL and was told they DIDN'T need to bring a passport or birth certificate, that just a picture ID was required. I've NEVER heard of this and am telling everyone in our group that need to bring the bc or passport. Does anyone know if the rules are different for a one/two nighter to nowhere? I appreciate your help!!

I hope someone can help me. A bunch of us are going on the Spirit one nighter out of NYC this Saturday. Someone from our group called NCL and was told they DIDN'T need to bring a passport or birth certificate, that just a picture ID was required. I've NEVER heard of this and am telling everyone in our group that need to bring the bc or passport. Does anyone know if the rules are different for a one/two nighter to nowhere? I appreciate your help!!

this is a cruise to nowhere, right? just an overnight dinner/dance type of cruise. you won't need a passport since you aren't leaving the country. i'm like 99.99% of this.

You will need a bc...you are going into international waters. You do not need a passport

Wrong.

You are not leaving the US, there is no immigration (or customs)

All you need is a picture ID like a drivers license.

(veteran of Dawn 5/5/2007 one-nighter)

You will need a bc...you are going into international waters. You do not need a passport

someone should tell all the offshore fishing trips down the jersey shore they are in breach of immigration laws.

sorry...just HAD to take a stab myself. hehehehehehe

Wrong.

You are not leaving the US, there is no immigration (or customs)

All you need is a picture ID like a drivers license.

(veteran of Dawn 5/5/2007 one-nighter)

Eeeeek! Not sure I am liking that.

ANYONE with a photo ID can get on a ship with over 2000 passengers:eek:

not to be a antagonist...but in reality. anyone will ill-intent can also get on any NYC bus, subway, or ferry.

It's true, just a photo ID like a drivers licence is needed. We did the 5/4 and 5/5 on the Dawn and al they wanted was our drivers licenses. Since you never touch a foreign port, they consider you never leaving the US.

Don't let that scare you. It only takes a photo ID to get on a 747 with 500 people also (as long as its not leaving the country).

To be on the safe side, I would bring the BC or passport. Never know when they will change the rules and then you are all set. You don't want a disappointment when you reach the dock and don't have the proper ID

It is equivalent to riding the Staten Island ferry... aside from showing id when you registered to get your keycard, you were NEVER asked for ID, and frankly at the cost/delays involved with obtaining passorts these days, I wouldn't risk losing it for a cruise to nowhere. Its not going to change just like domestic flights are not going to require birth certificates either. Government issue photo id is fine.

The funny thing is, they keep telling you on this cruise that they are paying all duty for you on anything you buy. This may be true, but there is no customs set up to process any thing, nor are there any forms handed out, so stock up on liquor and cigs folks :) :) :)

Thanks to everyone that responded!!

We just got back yesterday from the Spirit one nighter and here's what happened.

The person who was told didn't need her birth certificate didn't bring it. When we got to the line to check in, they wouldn't let her on the ship without it. HOWEVER, they did tell her if she had someone that could fax it to the office, they would accept a faxed copy. She was able to call her boyfriend and had it faxed so she was able to board, but they were definitely required for this sailing.

Thanks again everyone!

We just got back yesterday from the Spirit one nighter and here's what happened.

The person who was told didn't need her birth certificate didn't bring it. When we got to the line to check in, they wouldn't let her on the ship without it. HOWEVER, they did tell her if she had someone that could fax it to the office, they would accept a faxed copy. She was able to call her boyfriend and had it faxed so she was able to board, but they were definitely required for this sailing.

Thanks again everyone!

and there you have! straight from the horse's mouth. i guess the lesson here is...better just bring the passport. leave the BC at home.

America would be in better shape if we would take a minute to think through these things.

A bith certificate is an easily forged document. But even so, just because you have one does not indicate your level of safety or sanity. After all, everyone that took over planes on 9/11 surely had a birth certificate from somewhere. And even if they had to present them, it would not have stopped what happened.

And, as another posted indicated, you don't need anything, even a fake ID to go to many other places where thousands of people gather.

Having to show anything indicating nationality on a ship that NEVER visits another country is rather stupid. The ship opted to make up that rule since there would not be any customs or immigration inspection upon their return.

Thanks again everyone!

What other forms of ID did this person have? Was everyone required to have Birth Cert or passport?

She had only her drivers license. Everyone else had either their DL and BC or a passport.

i recently organized some of my personal documents...and let me tell you...when i saw my birth certificate...it doesn't look real or official at all. if it wasn't for the embossed seal...

DL and Passport combo is good to have...though i still think it's silly to bring a passport on a cruise to nowhere.

You had best avoid NCLA ;)

From the NCLwebsite (about NCLA cruises):

Identification consists of one of the following:

- Valid Passport

- Government Issued Photo ID

- Valid Driver’s License that Includes a Photograph

Archived