KW Breakfast Recommendations?

beansatw

We're going to spend 3 nights pre-cruise in Key West - I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it. :)

Does any anyone have any good ideas for breakfast? Our B&B has free donuts, but I was looking for something a bit more....good for you. (To balance out all of the drinking from the night before.) :D

Thanks!

I like all those, too. However, the old Dennis Pharmacy has breakfast - very reasonable - on Petronia, just down from Blue Heaven. I have always loved Croissants de France for breakfast, too.

I like all those, too. However, the old Dennis Pharmacy has breakfast - very reasonable - on Petronia, just down from Blue Heaven. I have always loved Croissants de France for breakfast, too.

Sorry but Dennis Pharmacy has been closed for some time and the location is now a bank.:confused:

Mike:)

If you are lazy and don’t like to make decisions on vacation but still want a special breakfast each morning, go to Turtle Kraals at the Key West Bight. They start serving at 7:00 a.m. and you can sit along a section of the Historic Walk, overlooking the harbor. In addition to a good choice of eggs, omelets, pancakes, etc., they have a daily special. On Monday it is heuvos rancheros. On Tuesday it is Corned Beef Hash. On Wednesday it is … well you’re just going to have to go over there and see for yourself. You will not be disappointed if you simply go there, sit down and order the daily special. Bloody Marys are up to you at this time of the morning.

If you want to explore after having eaten at Turtle Kraals on Monday, try Two Friends Patio Restaurant at 512 Front Street. Breakfast is served from 8:00 a.m. until noon; costs from $4.00 to $12.00 and you can sit at a small table overlooking either Front Street or Ann Lane, enjoy the breeze, and watch Key West get ready for the day. They have a daily seafood special omelet (usually scallops and shrimp) and a steak and cheese omelet (thin sliced steak, onions peppers, and Jack cheese) either of which will keep you until happy hour.

Next, Wednesday, try Pepe’s Café and Steakhouse at 806 Caroline Street.. There is an indoor dining area but you will want to pass through this and sit in the garden and marvel at the lighting fixtures. They open at 7:30 a.m. and breakfast will cost from about $10.00 to $20.00. Along with the regular menu items you will want to listen carefully to the daily specials. They serve a chili omelet – an omelet with black beans and onions folded inside, and served with one of their home-made breads. It is worth eating at Pepe’s just for the coffee and bread.

On Thursday, visit Blue Heaven on the corner of Petronia and Thomas, three blocks west off of Duval. Blue Heaven is generally considered one of the best restaurants in Key. For breakfast, during high season, you may have to wait a while for your meal. They serve breakfast from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30, and one strategy is to go a little later, give the maitre D’ your name, then sit at the outdoor bar in the back and enjoy a Bloody Mary. They advertise breakfast from $5.00 to $13.00, but you will pay a little more. It’s worth it. Here is one of the three best places for eggs Benedict lovers. Two examples are the seafood Benedict ( Fresh fish sautéed and served with poached eggs on English muffins with lime Hollandaise sauce) and the lobster Benedict (Fresh Florida Lobster served with poached eggs on English muffins with lime Hollandaise sauce). But, again, wait to hear the daily specials. And Blue Heaven also serves a specific Sunday Brunch.

On Friday, walk to 308 Front Street and then up to the second floor to the Rooftop Café and find a table on the veranda that overlooks Front Street, either in the shade or the sunshine. From here you can look across to the tower at the Wrecker’s museum, the upper decks of a cruise ship, and one of the souvenir markets across Front Street. Breakfast starts at 9:30 which is a little later than most of the other places, and will cost between $7.00 and $18.00. This is number two on the Benedict lover’s itinerary; Eggs Benedict (poached eggs and Canadian bacon on an English muffin with Hollandaise) or, better still, the Chesapeake Bay Eggs (poached eggs with a shrimp and crab cake on an English muffin with Hollandaise). By the way, all of the reviews for dinner at the Rooftop Café mention the shrimp and crab cakes. And the café also lists a separate Sunday Brunch menu.

On Saturday find the very end of Front Street and make a left turn to 617 Front. This is the Galleon Deli and Tiki Bar. They begin serving breakfast at 6:30, it will cost between $5.00 and $10.00 based on what you order and the sides that go along with it. But this is one of the best deals for breakfast in Key West and it has the best location, overlooking a section of the harbor. You must go inside the small deli area and place your order. Then pour yourself a cup of coffee and go back outside and enjoy the view and the breeze while it cooks. They will bring it out to you when it is ready. The Galleon Deli and Tiki Bar is referred to as the “Secret Place” since it is not easy to notice and since it doesn’t sound like a restaurant, so be careful who you tell about it!

The best is saved for last. On Sunday, and only Sunday, find 416 Apelrouth Lane . Appelrouth is off Duval, between Southard and Fleming, on the Whitehead side. Martin’s only serves breakfast on Sunday, from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. and they will take reservations, but you probably don’t need them. Their eggs Benedict and open-faced sandwiches are superb. Order the Black Forest Eggs Benedict with a glass of wine. Don't miss this and, as always, sit in the garden.

If none of these choices sound good, go to 700 Front Street to the Damn Good Food Co. To Go, order a café con leche (with one sugar) and a home-made cookie, either oatmeal raison or peanut butter. Some people are hard to please.

Croissants de France has opened again and are located on Duval Street. Great breakfast spot. Check out the 1 day old pastries on top of the counter. More than ½ price off and still so good. Great to stock up on for late night snacks or to bring back home. The chocolate du pain, apricot croissant, and cinnamon rolls are superb.

And I just visited and reviewed Sarabeth's.

hth

Pjk

We just got back from KW. Martin's is now on Duval st. not Applerouth Lane. Schooner Wharf also serves a great breakfast at very reasonable prices. Their bread is fantastic. I had a veggie omelette breakfast sandwich for 5.95 that I could not pick up. Also, the Bloody Marys are delicious!

Joanne

Sorry but Dennis Pharmacy has been closed for some time and the location is now a bank.:confused:
Actually, the OLD location closed, but Dennis Pharmacy lunch counter has reopened in (or by) Henrietta's Bakery on Petronia.

Our favorite breakfast spot in Key West is Blue Heaven, although I do like the breakfast sandwiches and Bloody Marys at Schooner Wharf Bar. So far the best Bloody Mary we've had in Key West was at the Bear Bottom Beach Club on Duval. They are made with Absolut Peppar and are on special ($3.00?) from around 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. -- wish I was there now! ;)

Mike:)

Mike, you're wrong on this one - I live one street over in Bahama Village & have gone to the NEW Dennis Pharmacy Diner. It's just down from Blue Heaven towards Emma on Petronia. It's in Henrietta's place & she works it, too. It's fabulous.

Are you telling me there is a pharmacy in Bahama village? Or that a person has a lunch counter called Dennis Pharmacy Diner?:confused:
Not a pharmacy, it's just the lunch counter that used to be in Dennis Pharmacy. :) If I'm not mistaken, they tried it at the hospital for a while, then relocated it to Bahama Village. We'll be back in Key West for a few days in October (unless I can figure out a way to get there sooner!); I'll have to check it out then.

Not a pharmacy, it's just the lunch counter that used to be in Dennis Pharmacy. :) If I'm not mistaken, they tried it at the hospital for a while, then relocated it to Bahama Village. We'll be back in Key West for a few days in October (unless I can figure out a way to get there sooner!); I'll have to check it out then.

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

Mike

Are you telling me there is a pharmacy in Bahama village? Or that a person has a lunch counter called Dennis Pharmacy Diner?:confused:

Mike

The diner part of Dennis Pharmacy opened in Bahama Villiage with the same staff & menu (except Theresa is still retired).

Archived