Reflections on RMS Queen Mary 2

Kindlychap

It has been a couple of days since I returned from New York, and I have been thinking about publishing my thoughts on the ship, rather than just reactions as I went along. I have had the opportunity to think about the ship in comparison with Queen Elizabeth 2, and to think about comments that I have made in the past.

I’d ask those who read this to remember that the viewpoint is of a Queen Elizabeth 2 veteran, who travels Queens’ Grill routinely. Indeed, this was the first crossing that I haven’t been in the Queen’s Grill, and since I have met my wife I have only had cabins on the Signal Deck. I think it is always best to be aware of where a reviewer has been before!

Arrival and Embarkation.

My lovely wife drove me down to Southampton, which was clearly easy. I was dropped off in the usual place, and had my luggage taken very promptly by a porter. The queue was out of the door for non-priority, but as a Platinum World Class member that didn’t worry me. I went to the front of the Platinum/Grill queue, which was empty, and walked straight to a check in desk. A very few minutes later I was armed with my Queen Mary 2 passenger card, and a photograph of me that would have curdled milk. Much as normal there then! Once I reached the waiting area I was sent directly to the embarkation queue, and could have walked straight on had I not decided to have my photograph taken. Another mistake, as I learned later, but it only delayed me a couple of minutes.

The ship, against the quay, has something of the Pyramid of Khufu about it – one really knows how big it is, but seeing is believing. We’d noticed this as we were driving up – Queen Elizabeth 2 is hardly a minnow, but Queen Mary 2 is in another league.

And so on, over the threshold and on to the ship. The usual “welcome aboard” but no white gloved steward to take me to my cabin. Whilst I know that this is a combination of the cabins being easy to find, and lunch being provided, it is still a bit of a disappointment. Sent over to stairwell B I took a lift to deck 12, and soon found 12.027. But the key didn’t work. I’m no fan of these card keys, but at times like this they are really annoying. I got a nearby steward to let me in, left my carry on and then went down to the Purser’s Office.

A welcome surprise for a Queen Elizabeth 2 regular. It was efficient and friendly, and I was soon armed with a replacement which not only worked, but stayed working. Having therefore dealt with the teething troubles, I went off to explore.

First Impressions.

The ship is immense. It is a long walk from one end to the other. The layout at first seems a little confusing, especially around the Queen’s Room. But I was impressed by the finish of the ship, and the high ceilings giving a superbly spacious feeling to the ship. Walking into the famous Britannia Restaurant I was impressed further – and a little daunted at the sheer size of it. There were two young waitresses at the entrance, one of whom asked if she could help. I told her I was looking for table 160 in the Club area. Her face lit up and she told me that was one of her tables, and took me over to inspect it. It seemed well placed, slightly out of the way, but with views of the restaurant and the sea if one got the right seats.

I then braved Kings Court, and had lunch in what I realised later was the Lotus area. I found this area confusing, and other than cookies in the small hours, didn’t return. I’m sure I could have worked it out, and the area is infinitely nicer than the Lido on Queen Elizabeth 2, which always reminds me of the Watford Gap Services, but with the Britannia Club I really didn’t see the point.

Having looked over the ship I went up to deck 13. Such a huge area of deck is definitely and advantage, and the Lookout is a nice design. Whilst I was there I spotted two reprobates. Peter and Miriam!

Dining.

In a word, superb. The first night was very good, and things got better as the crossing went along. Meat was the usual very high standard, and flambé was on the menu each night. There was no problem in being a little greedy – in fact the greediest evening was at the instigation of our waiter, who suggested that we might like a lobster as a side order! Needless to say we did…..

The Britannia restaurant may be spectacular but during dinner what matters is quality of food and service, and both have been superb. The service in particular has been wonderful – the Maitre’D has moulded a superb team – which, in our case, is all ex-Queens’ Grill. And it shows. I have never had better service on a Cunarder. I’m convinced that this grade offers the best value on board – by a wide margin. I know what one gets over and above this grade in Queens’ Grill, and the difference in food isn’t worth the difference. Unless the cabin is important to you (and I’ll discuss this later) then Britannia Club offers 90% of the value of Queens’ Grill at 50% of the price. That’s not to say that the Queens’ Grill isn’t worth it if you can afford it, or that it isn’t better – because it clearly is. But it does mean that you could do a back to back for the price of a westbound.

Cabin

Identical to a A1. Actually, other than the view, identical to a B6! None of the promised extras were in the cabin when I embarked, and only the bathrobe arrived later. No bottle of Pol Acker (I wasn’t going to complain, but I did note this) and nothing indicating that there was a pillow concierges. I was happy enough, so didn’t ask.

The ‘fridge had a variety of soft drinks, to be paid for if consumed. I did consume a couple, and whilst the steward was diligent in getting the chitty signed, he wasn’t very diligent about having them replaced. Normally I can’t leave the cabin or they are restocked – and that’s when they are free!

The cabin itself was small, and the bathroom very small. Both were in excellent condition. Plenty of hanging space for a single man, but I think that had I had my wife with me we’d have been a bit tight – so what would it be like on a world cruise? The balcony was equipped with plastic chairs, which was a pity. The balcony on a B6 was far better – less wet and less windy. However there was a lot of light let in by it, so I was pleased to have an unobstructed balcony.

The steward was a disappointment. I didn’t feel that he knew who I was, and he never really tried to do anything extra. He didn’t do anything wrong, but that is really the best I can say. More than once I had to ask for further laundry bags.

Bars.

I only used the Commodore Club, where there was extensive testing, and the Veuve Cliquot bar. Both were excellent – the waitress in the champagne bar was lovely, but I didn’t really get much from her as I was there only once.

The Commodore club was my place. Late morning for a martini, and then late afternoon, and late evening. Service was superb – within 24 hours one waitress already knew my name and likely drink. I loved it.

Whistle.

Disappointment at Southampton as only the port whistle sounded – and it sounded slightly flatulent at that. One noon neither sounded, notwithstanding the fact that the officer of the watch announced their imminent use. The last sea day we heard them together – very impressive indeed. I’d still take Queen Elizabeth 2’s whistle though.

Entertainment.

I only went to one thing – the second guitar recital – which was lovely. The theatre looks impressive, as does the planetarium, but I can’t really say much more than that.

Overall impressions

A superb ship, and a true Cunarder. No replacement for the Queen Elizabeth 2, but a worthy consort. The ship is incredibly stable, and just oozes class in almost all respects. I’d prefer that she had fewer models of herself and more of other Cunarders, a la Queen Elizabeth 2, and at least one of these should be a model of her younger sister – perhaps that one on deck 2 midships lobby could be changed?

I’m not sure if she is not too large for cruising – but then she wasn’t built for cruising but crossing. As a transatlantic liner she excels, and those of us who have partners who are wary of “Neptune’s Back Yard” will be pleased at her addition stability.

The crew is excellent – I was always greeted if I met a member of staff, and almost all gave an active impression of wanting to make the trip good. The ship felt a happy ship.

So, what of Queen Elizabeth 2? Well, I’m really looking forward to getting on board once more. I certainly don’t feel that there is anything that Queen Mary 2 offers that would tempt me to abandon the Queen Elizabeth 2. Apart from transatlantics, that is.

Where people can go wrong is trying to decide which is better. What one needs to do is to realise that they are both wonderful, and that we are lucky to have both. Take one summer transatlantic on Queen Mary 2, and one cruise on Queen Elizabeth 2 and you’re well away.

Take the January transatlantic on Queen Elizabeth 2 and a summer transatlantic on Queen Mary 2 and not only will you belong to a group of lunatic liner nuts, you’ll be able to take your nearest and dearest in the summer!

Matthew

Thank you Matthew...it appears Pepper beat me at first to respond....I'm very happy to read your reflections on QM2. Needless to say, as one of her biggest fans (no surprise there;) )i'm delighted that she made such a fine impression on you. Certainly your posts from onboard had indicated that already, but it's a pleasure to read your overall summary and that she has apparently charmed you as well as she has so many others.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head when you say not to compare these 2 great ladies...Cunard has done itself proud and we are all the more fortunate for it. And I am genuinely delighted that you experienced all that has endeared her to so many.

Thank you for your terrific review...and I'm so glad I pointed you to those cookies!!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

With regard to the pillow concierge - it is/was your steward/butler. We only found this out by asking, it was not advertised but having a neck pillow made a world of difference in my mother's sleeping (aka I didn't listen to snoring for the entire crossing ;)

I agree with you about the crew. I was warmly greeted by everyone all over the ship from the Purser to an electrician, everyone had time to just say hi or wish us a good day. Real mood lifter!

Matthew,

What a wonderful review! It makes me even more excited for our sailing. Thank you so much for sharing.

One wonderful thing about Mary 2's whistles is one of them belongs to my beloved Mary.

Betsy

Matthew,

I'm glad you enjoyed your crossing and can see that you are on the way to becoming a fan. She is a great ship and a lovely place to be mid-Atlantic.

Unfortuately, I've yet to get sail on QE2, but who knows, perhaps the Spring crossing?

David

Matthew, Thank you for your review . . . Our upcoming voyage will be our first aboard a Cunard ship and your review has heightened our anticipation. "A superb ship and a true Cunarder" reinforces our decision that we chose the right ship for our first adventure in luxury cruising. . .

My dear 'Mr Chap',

Many thanks for sharing your reflections – an excellent choice of word as this is feedback beyond that of a review (of which there are many fine ones on this board of course...).

As our next trip is to celebrate my BIG 40, the date was the driving force for our choice of voyage. As such, when the latest brochure arrived in my eager little mitts, it was the ‘add ons’ which I poured over for hours on end. I found myself saying … for £x more we could have a grade higher … then another grade…then another… what was the atrium room like…. However, I am not someone who spends much time in their cabin on a crossing…. and most of that time I’m asleep…so what was I paying extra for? Thus we chose to stick with a lower grade cabin but this time go for a longer trip.

I am highly unlikely to ever travel in Queen’s Grill (or Princess Grill for that matter) so, as a ‘career’ Queen’s Grill passenger, your insight into the Britannia Club is invaluable. Indeed, it has given me real pause for thought that there is an upgrade which I can realistically aspire to which will provide something extra special that I would personally benefit from. (When is my 10th wedding anniversary?!)

Thanks again for your thoughts. They come across as carefully measured … I might even say 'serene'. Perhaps we should all club together and send you on a non-club Britannia crossing so that you can complete your balanced comparisons…….

Jo

p.s. I wonder if anyone else has ever managed to mention Watford Gap with respect to the QE2?!

I just returned from the June 4th westbound crossing - my first on the QM2.

I liked the ship and enjoyed almost everything, though the quality of the meals didn't quite meet my expectations. I'm mildly surprised to see how impressed Kindlychap seemed to be after following all his postings while lurking before my voyage :) I was too, but like him, I remain a firm QE2

fan. In fact, without wishing to wind up my American friends, (and I'm not a Brit - I'm a Canuck!) there's a story from the old Saturday Evening Post that very well illustrates the comparison between the QE2 and the QM2.

Seems like after WWII there was a small Royal Navy destroyer tied up alongside a large US carrier in Tokyo harbour. An American sailor leans over the rail and shouts down to a British counterpart:

"Hey, Limey, how's the world's second biggest navy this morning?"

The Brit cocks his head and shouts back:

"Just fine, mate. How's the world's second best?"

Cheers,

Chas

An excellent review Kindly Chap, and good to see you enjoyed QM2.

I have to agree with the previous poster about the food in Britannia - pretty poor: some meals were cold, some were overcooked and vegetables seemed to be used only as a very meagre garnish. However, things are obviously better in AA dining. I have to say though that everything else was wonderful, especially the service (not the poor old waiters' fault that the kitchens seemed to be lacking).

Thanks to Matthew for his astute observations and to all who reside on the Cunard board for cultivating such a civilized ambiance. Those who grace other Cruise Critic boards should be so respectful. For the whole of my cruising life I assumed the QE2 and QM2 to be out of reach. Upon further investigation I find the contrary to be true. I am anticipating with great excitement a transatlantic crossing, my first, aboard QM2 in September 2007. To the assembled contributors who continually educate me on all things Cunard, and who do so in a most entertaining fashion, I extend heartfelt gratitude.

An interesting review and thank you for posting it.

Regarding the elusive pillow menu, is this something that is, or should be, available at all grades? We have a B3 in August and I use a neckcare pillow at home and usually have to take it along with me. Do I still need to?

Thanks to Matthew for his astute observations and to all who reside on the Cunard board for cultivating such a civilized ambiance. Those who grace other Cruise Critic boards should be so respectful. For the whole of my cruising life I assumed the QE2 and QM2 to be out of reach. Upon further investigation I find the contrary to be true. I am anticipating with great excitement a transatlantic crossing, my first, aboard QM2 in September 2007. To the assembled contributors who continually educate me on all things Cunard, and who do so in a most entertaining fashion, I extend heartfelt gratitude.

Welcome aboard, thirdrock!

"Where people can go wrong is trying to decide which is better. What one needs to do is to realise that they are both wonderful, and that we are lucky to have both. Take one summer transatlantic on Queen Mary 2, and one cruise on Queen Elizabeth 2 and you’re well away."

Here, here! I gave up the 'which is better debate' 35 years ago, preferring to enjoy each ship for what it offered. I have to confess that the constant debate has put me off posting at times. I've actually witnessed this argument on both QE2 and QM2 and concluded that people were quite prepared to let it spoil their - and perhaps others - enjoyment, which is rather sad.

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed QM2, Matthew, and thank you for your thoughtful review. Will you be trying QV now?

K.

(ducking his head!)

"Where people can go wrong is trying to decide which is better. What one needs to do is to realise that they are both wonderful, and that we are lucky to have both. Take one summer transatlantic on Queen Mary 2, and one cruise on Queen Elizabeth 2 and you’re well away."

Here, here! I gave up the 'which is better debate' 35 years ago, preferring to enjoy each ship for what it offered. I have to confess that the constant debate has put me off posting at times. I've actually witnessed this argument on both QE2 and QM2 and concluded that people were quite prepared to let it spoil their - and perhaps others - enjoyment, which is rather sad.

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed QM2, Matthew, and thank you for your thoughtful review. Will you be trying QV now?

K.

(ducking his head!)

Excellent post, K!!! You and Matthew are both wise to point out that this debate is a waste of time and energy. It is always amazing to me that some people can be so negative about a ship on which they have never sailed.

On our first cruise on the QM2, someone at our Cruise Critic get together who had cruised many times, made the statement that they try to make the very best of each cruise. After getting on the ship, they look at the highlights of that ship and enjoy whatever that ship has to offer. I do believe that is what Matthew did. All of us are going to have favorite ships. Thank goodness we don't all have the same favorite or we would never be able to get a booking.

Happy Sailing to everyone on whatever ship you choose.

Beth

Excellent post, K!!! You and Matthew are both wise to point out that this debate is a waste of time and energy. It is always amazing to me that some people can be so negative about a ship on which they have never sailed.

Happy Sailing to everyone on whatever ship you choose.

Beth

AMEN Beth....I couldn't have said it any better!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Matthew --

Thanks so much for your notes on the AA experience; I'll be on the 7/4 jaunt to the Bahamas, and (after much head-scratching) elected to book an AA as well. Since this is my first time on any ship larger than the Staten Island ferry, I had to take a few intuitive gambles to decide on cabin class, but your considered comments make me feel like I might have done the right thing. We'll see!

Of course, there's the other issue -- roundly discussed on these boards -- about the relative wisdom of taking a "short" hop excursion rather than a T/A. I dearly hope that service conditions improve over what was clearly a spotty experience for many on the Memorial Day trip. I'm not looking for anything overly "pampering", but certainly enjoy a prompt cup of (strong) coffee and a quality (strong) martini, not to mention some (strong) Stilton cheese when the mood strikes. Other than that, I look forward to the Library and the Commodore Club, where perhaps I'll meet a few like-minded curmudgeons.

Anyway -- thanks again for the review. I'll try to return the favor when I get back -- particularly for any ocean-going neophytes under the age of 45, traveling alone, who like to meet interesting folks in a quiet sort of way. I'm really excited for this trip!

- BB

Archived