Possible new passport requirements for sea and land

PanAnna

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N1493739.htm

WASHINGTON, June 14 (Reuters) - A U.S. Senate committee on Thursday voted to put off until mid-2009 passport requirements for U.S. travelers entering the United States by land or sea from Canada and other neighboring countries.

The Senate Appropriations Committee unanimously approved the delay to June 1, 2009 because of a huge backlog in issuing new U.S. passports. That snarl followed another rule change -- tightening requirements for some air travel by U.S. citizens -- earlier this year.

The full Senate is expected to consider the delay to the measure in coming weeks.

Congressional offices have been inundated by calls from constituents whose passport requests were caught up in a backlog as U.S. citizens scrambled to get passports.

Lawmakers say they have heard from people who waited months for their passports and were forced to cancel travel plans because of the problem.

Last week, the United States said it was relaxing rules for air travelers entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean just as the summer travel season was beginning. The Jan. 23, 2007, start of the passport requirement for air travelers was put off until October if travelers can show that they have applied for passports.

WASHINGTON, June 14 (Reuters) - A U.S. Senate committee on Thursday voted to put off until mid-2009 passport requirements for U.S. travelers entering the United States by land or sea from Canada and other neighboring countries.

I hope that is true and passes quickly although I agree that those who procrastinate will not be helped. I was trying to get a group of my DD's friends and parents to join us for a 5 day cruise for their school Winter break next year. Hard to convince them when their families would have the expense and trouble of passports on top of the cruise expense. None have cruised before.

It would also allow DD to go without one - saving me the expense and trouble for now for a children's passport. DH and I both have them already.

The Senate Appropriations Committee unanimously approved the delay to June 1, 2009 because of a huge backlog in issuing new U.S. passports. That snarl followed another rule change -- tightening requirements for some air travel by U.S. citizens -- earlier this year.

The full Senate is expected to consider the delay to the measure in coming weeks.

Congressional offices have been inundated by calls from constituents whose passport requests were caught up in a backlog as U.S. citizens scrambled to get passports.

Lawmakers say they have heard from people who waited months for their passports and were forced to cancel travel plans because of the problem.

Last week, the United States said it was relaxing rules for air travelers entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean just as the summer travel season was beginning. The Jan. 23, 2007, start of the passport requirement for air travelers was put off until October if travelers can show that they have applied for passports.

This will definitely ease the backlog as now people who were on the fence will just wait until June 2009 and we can start this all over again. Then they can delay it to 2011.

What a way to problem solve.:rolleyes:

Bill

Well I heard on the news the other day that the National Defict is down 34% from the same time last year.

Could probably trace that directly to all the people applying for passpaots and then paying the extra fees to expedite. They keep this up and the US will be out of debt before we know it :eek: .

Well I heard on the news the other day that the National Defict is down 34% from the same time last year.

Could probably trace that directly to all the people applying for passpaots and then paying the extra fees to expedite. They keep this up and the US will be out of debt before we know it :eek: .

lol..thanks for the chuckle.

This will definitely ease the backlog as now people who were on the fence will just wait until June 2009 and we can start this all over again. Then they can delay it to 2011.

What a way to problem solve.:rolleyes:

Bill

I don't see what problem gets solved with a passport. Those that want to get in the US manage to pull it off daily. Besides, any document can (and will) be forged by those wanting it bad enough.

I just don't get it -- folks who want to travel, but don't want to get a passport.

Amen. I've never understood it either - the cost isn't that high and it's good for 10 years (5 for kids). :confused: Just do it and be secure in the knowledge you're covered for the next decade.

I don't see what problem gets solved with a passport. Those that want to get in the US manage to pull it off daily. Besides, any document can (and will) be forged by those wanting it bad enough.

I never said anything about passports solving anything.

I was alluding to the fact that the government is once again delaying the date that you will need a passport. This is to alleviate the backlog. Once the date is close at hand you're right back to square one.

I was talking about the government doing this thinking they were somehow solving the backlog problems with passports.

In a way they are ...temporarily.

If the passports were really solving anything the date would have been in place and everybody would have had to conform or not travel. This is an embarassment that it is 6 years after 9/11 and this is still going on.

Now where is my duct tape for my windows.;)

Bill

Archived