Pacific Sun Questions

Croozin'

We are going on our very first cruise in July on the Pacific Sun and I have a few questions. I’m sorry if they are obvious, just all new to this!

1) If you didn't reserve a specific cabin, how close to sailing do you find out where you'll be? Or do you just find out when you get to the ship?

2) Shore tours. On the documents we received, it said we were able to purchase shore tours for at least 2 of the ports (I think Luganville and Vila). I checked this morning online, and now no shore tours seem to be an option (when I go to that cruise on the P&O website, there are no ‘S’ next to any port saying that they are on). Does this mean they are all booked already, or not available at all?

Also, on the shore tour subject: Originally I was going to ask if it was worth paying for an official shore tour or whether it’s best to just walk around ourselves.

3) We have chosen the second sitting for dinner; will we still be able to see the shows?

4) How much money should we allow for drinks and tips? We’re not planning on purchasing any duty free or too much at the ports as we’ve spent enough just to get on the ship, but how much to we need to save up for the extras?

5) How early can you drop your bags off in Sydney? We are flying in at 7am. The documents say we can start boarding from 12.30pm. Do we have to go sit somewhere with our bags and eat a very long breakfast, or can we drop them off somewhere and explore the surroundings? (haven’t been to Sydney city before either – but am very familiar with the airports!)

6) Any idea what the demographics of a cruise like this would be? We're married and mid-20s. We tried to avoid too many children by cruising after the school holidays, and we're not too fussed about anything else but we are curious.

I’ve been reading some posts on theme nights and guess we’ll just bring a simple bit of everything to cover any possibilities.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Croozin' and welcome to the boards.

1. It really just depends on P&O as to when you find out. Friends who on a cruise now found out about 3 weeks before. One of my cruises I only found out when I checked in. Keep checking the cruise personaliser online.

2. I would imagine that there is a glitch in the system. It would be extremely unlikely that all the shore tours are booked out. I have priced a few things in Vila it it was a comparable price to booking through P&O for jetboating and abseiling. I haven't had experience in doing anything privately.

In Luganville the first time we took a P&O excursion to Shark Bay Blue Hole. It was $48 per person and was wonderful (no longer offered). The second time we just got a "cab" (read ute) and did it ourselves. It cost us $50 for the 4 of us plus another $5 each for the owner of the hole. The driver still gave us a great commentary and stopped for photos. We also had a ball riding in the tray of the ute.

There is not much to do walking around Luganville, there was however, a lovely restaurant on the left side of the street way past all the stalls.

3. There are shows for both seatings. Sometimes 2nd dinner has the show at 6pm beforehand otherwise it is at 10pm.

4. Spending money is quite a discussed topic and varies widely. I have spent as little has $400 (for 3) up to about $1200. Tipping is automatically taken from your cruise card unless you tell them otherwise. I think it is now $5.50 a day for adults.

Drinks are a reasonable price though not cheap. Coronas and cruiser type drinks were $5.50 last time I cruised and a cocktail ranges from about $7 to $13. The standard being around $8-9.

Photos is where they suck you in (well me at least). They take photos for everything, welcome aboard, formal nights, drinks with captain, island night, theme nights and every time you get to a port. Plus you can just have some taken if you wish. They were $25 each or I believe 6 for price of 5. Sorry, should say that is 8x10" prices (formal type ones) the port ones etc are 5x7" and from memory $13? (not sure)

5. You can pretty much drop you bags off as soon as you get there and then wander about the city until you are ready to board.

6. Demographics is a hard one to guess. I would imagine that there won't be that many kids as you said you have booked outside holidays.

Theme nights are usually at least island night (usually after Vila or Luganville) and country and western. By the way, island gear was cheaper in Luganville than Vila as was hair braiding which is great for swimming if you have long hair. Watch out for sunburn though as your head isn't usually used to it.

thanks for asking the questions Cruisin and ADF, as usual, a wealth of information :) All of us newbies love it when other first timers ask questions ! I can guarantee there will be a lot of other first timers who read this thread and think....'I never thought of that' ....I know I do ;)

Yes' date=' I'm hopeless, I just keep hopping on here when I have another question!

We've booked a N-class cabin, what does that mean (if anything)?

[/quote']

Hi Croozin, you are booked for an inside cabin on Riviera deck.

(I will be in a cabin there on Sunday)

I have no problems being in a cabin on Riviera..

tap in ....deck plans of Pacific Sun. and you can see.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hi. after dropping your bags you can easily walk to Darling Harbour.

I'm cruising on Pacific Sun also but July 5 (school holidays). We didn't book a specific cabin. We had P class which was changed to N class then we were given a cabin last week.

Good luck on you first cruise.

Some of the ports do not have tours (that's what I read anyway).

On our cruise only Villa offers tours. The others we are going to lay on the beach.

3) We have chosen the second sitting for dinner; will we still be able to see the shows?

Yes, show starts at 6.30PM for the second sitting dinners. Shows duration is about one hour.

4) How much money should we allow for drinks and tips?

Beers are $4.50 for a can or $6 for an imported bottle. Bottle of wine $18 in the restaraunt. Glass of wine$5.50. Tipping is optional.

6) Any idea what the demographics of a cruise like this would be?

Kids won't be a problem, the kids clubs looks after them. Ages generally range from 20-60 years.

Archived