Russian River Cruise Best Ship?

MSEm

From looking at the brochures on several operators for Russian River Cruises, the cabins look small and the beds remine me of cots. Which tour operator(s) has the best cabins with good beds on the ships.

• 2 weeks later...

:)

From looking at the brochures on several operators for Russian River Cruises, the cabins look small and the beds remine me of cots. Which tour operator(s) has the best cabins with good beds on the ships.

:) Having just returned from the first cruise of the season St. Petersberg to Moscow Viking River Cruises Viking Pakhomov I would agree. The standard cabins have small pullman type beds which were small but confortable. One folds into the wall to giving more room during the day . The Cabins are small the bathrooms are yaught style wet rooms. The suites have standard size beds and bathrooms and are much more confortable but at much more expense. A number of passengers on boarding and seeing the standard cabins upgraded at considerable expense to the suites. We knew from the

brochures what the cabins were like.

The cruise was a great experience. There were some problems due to a totally inexperienced crew. I will be posting a full review of the cruise soon

There are about 20 ships of different that do the river cruise they are all the same hull and have a similar layout. You need to get an English speaking boat.

Viking River Cruises have announced on their web sight that they are refurbishing the Viking Surkov at a cost of 6 million dollars for the 2008 season including bigger standard cabins and standard size beds.

• 3 weeks later...

We went with Intra and it was wonderful. All tours and all meals are included. The meals off ship were sooo good. When you take into consideration the costs of the 'other' cruises tours and off ship meals you will end up paying as much if not more then Intra. We've had 3 other friends now take the trip and they all agree with us that it was the best choice by far. JMO

Jean

• 3 months later...

I've been researching Russian river cruises & have not run across Intra. I tried Googling it, but all I came up with was an airfare consolidator. Is Intra a travel agency? Cruise operator? Tour company?

Thanks,

Kathy

We went with Intra and it was wonderful. All tours and all meals are included. The meals off ship were sooo good. When you take into consideration the costs of the 'other' cruises tours and off ship meals you will end up paying as much if not more then Intra. We've had 3 other friends now take the trip and they all agree with us that it was the best choice by far. JMO

Jean

• 10 months later...

We just returned a few days ago from Russia (St. Petersburg to Moscow) on the Viking Surkov. The ship has been completely refurbished and is beautiful. The beds are very comfortable (hotel style beds - two full twins put together, with pillow top mattress covers, plus duvets as covers), wonderful pillows and you can ask for extras. Bathroom is "large" for a river boat and when taking a shower, water doesn't flow into the bathroom area. Cabins are larger on this ship vs. most other river boats (in Russia)from what others have said (starting at 130 sq ft and higher). They are also refurbishing the other Viking ship (Kirkov?) for 2009 sailing dates.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm in Ocean Springs.

I am booked for the Surkov. Will board the vessel in St Pete on 2 Oct 08.

Just received our Russian Visas today.

Did you hire a private guide for your stay in St Pete or Moscow?

Any tour NOT to miss or Any tours that you could have skipped?

Any good shoppng hints?

Any other information is welcomed.

Thanks again,

MSEm

Should we a hire a private guide for Peterhof Palace Tour?

Should we hire a private guide for the Hermitage and go there without the group. I know it is included in the Viking Tour, but did you have enough time there?

I do not think I will be able to do the Hydro to or from the Hermitage. It is normally shut down in October for the winter.

Any suggestions for the free time on that day?

Also what would you have liked to see or spend more time at in Moscow. I will have a 1 1/2 days after the tour ends in Moscow.

Thanks for any and all info and suggestions.

Emily

PS BILOXIGIRL Were you from the Biloxi, MS area?

Archived