Doesn't anyone do the ships excursions??

kiraryker

Actually the majority of cruisers use shipboard excursions. Many on this board are savvy enough to research and find independent cruise operators that provide a cheaper and less crowded experience.

Since its sounds like you first cruise you might want to go with the ship and venture out next time.

Ditto.

I was lucky enough on my first cruise to have had a couple co-workers do the same cruise a couple of months ahead of us. They told how to do it on our own. We had a great time and by the end of the cruise we had a group of 12 doing the "tours" togeather.

Most of the time we book independent excursions or just go out on our own. There is a wealth of info available here in the Ports of Call forums to help someone decide on a tour or activity that is both safe and offers a great experience. I like saving some $$$ by using independent operators, but the main reason is the lack of crowds and a more personalized tour.

Last year there were just four other people on our excursion in Grand Cayman and six others (all from our roll call) for the horseback riding we did in Roatan. We did book one tour with Carnival for our cruise next month because the convenience and timing works out well for what we want to do.

New cruisers might be wise to use ship sponsored excursions their first time out, or buddy up with some CC members from their roll call that have more experience with independent excursions.

John

I took ship's tours on RCCL's Legend of the Seas but I don't remember what they were... I did not do much of the planning for that trip so when I was handed a brochure I just picked a couple, and in the other ports we got off and walked around.

The last couple times I have either booked nothing (rented a scooter or walked around when we got off) or booked excursions privately.

For our upcoming Legend cruise I am booking two ship excursions, for different reasons. One is not even offered anywhere else, and one is actually cheaper (!!) through the ship.

Most of the time we book independent excursions or just go out on our own. There is a wealth of info available here in the Ports of Call forums to help someone decide on a tour or activity that is both safe and offers a great experience. I like saving some $$$ by using independent operators, but the main reason is the lack of crowds and a more personalized tour.

I couldn't agree more. I booked my tours thru independents for the price. I'm doing them from now on for the service. They seem to be more intimate, we did what we wanted, and of course the price was less. Just ask anyone that took the 2 hour school bus ride in Roatan to join a thousand other tubers down the river. Or anyone that was one of 40 on a boat at Stingray city in Grand Cayman. We paid the same price. The four of us had a boat to ourselves (with a captain) and had a blast with the Stingrays. Then went snorkling on the reef.

This board is EXTREMELY valuable and easy to find what you are looking for. Just make sure that you get more than one opinion or review before you spend.

In Dominica we did a carnival based river tubing because I left my son on board for the 3 hours I was gone and I wanted to make sure I would have a good connection through carnival in case of an emergency. In Barbados I booked through Shasa catamarans and my son went on that excursion. I think both ways are fine, it is whatever you are comfortable with.

Archived