Snuba in Key West

I posted this in the RCCL board and couldn't get an answer. Could someone help me?

I will be on EOS in July and all of my friends and I have booked a snuba excursion. This will be our first time and I have a few questions. I've read that some people have problems with the breathing equipment that you have to wear.

1. How does the equipment work?

2. Is the breathing pretty much the same as snorkeling? If not, what's the difference other than the supply of oxygen?

3. Does the water get in your mask like it does with the snorkel gear?

4. Do you see more doing snuba or snorkeling?

5. Is it scary and should I be nervous?

6. How long does it usually take to get comfortable since this is my first time doing this?

I posted this in the RCCL board and couldn't get an answer. Could someone help me?

I will be on EOS in July and all of my friends and I have booked a snuba excursion. This will be our first time and I have a few questions. I've read that some people have problems with the breathing equipment that you have to wear.

1. How does the equipment work?

2. Is the breathing pretty much the same as snorkeling? If not, what's the difference other than the supply of oxygen?

3. Does the water get in your mask like it does with the snorkel gear?

4. Do you see more doing snuba or snorkeling?

5. Is it scary and should I be nervous?

6. How long does it usually take to get comfortable since this is my first time doing this?

I am a scuba diver and have snorkeled. My wife snorkels.

Basically the breathing is the same, other than the air is supplied from a line attached to a tank that floats. You can go underwater, to maybe 20' (as far as the line goes). The water should not get into your mask just like it should not get into your mask while snorkeling. If water constantly gets into your mask while snorkleing, adjust the mask/strap.

It is not scary. You won't be too far underwater. There is no decompression issue that affect divers when they go deep.

You'll definitely see more snuba than snorkeling. You'll be 3-dimentional where as snorkeling is only from the surface of the water.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Snuba in Key West. You use a regularor, like with SCUBA, but the tank stays floating on the surface. My wife loved it. She spent most of her time at the end of the 20' hose. I could not get comfortable with the regulator and spent most of my time at the surface, holding the raft.

When we got back DW wanted to learn to SCUBA. In 2 years she has all of her certs for Master Diver (she still need to get up to the 50 dives)

Archived